Options

Software Developer vs IT

BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
What made you guys choose IT over software developer? I'm heavily leaning towards going the rest of the way in my programming skills with a focus on Java. Reason being that there seems to be a huge lack of IT Jobs in my area, the very good entry level pay of a developer, and the far more jobs that seem to be available. I wanted to go the security route, but there's just no jobs here, not even help desk jobs. I figure it will take me 3 months minimum to get to entry level. I've got 6 books I'm planning on reading as soon as I'm done this B.S. in IT Security in a couple weeks from WGU and then I'll probably get some Java certs. All I know is, I hope this economy picks up in first quarter 2011.

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I actually went to school for that kind of thing. Mostly C++ and C#. Thought it would be fun, always found it to be interesting. Then I talked to some guys in the field.....just had a change of heart. Heck I love cooking, thought about trying to make a career of it, then I worked in a few restaurants and realized while I enjoy cooking it's not something I want to do as a career.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm with you on this. I.T. jobs are hard to find here as well, but in Nashville there are TONS of programming jobs for .net and java. Heck I saw jobs for java programmers (FT with benefits) starting out at $50/hour. If you can program that's great. Many people just can't. Programming is like jazz improvisation - some people just have a knack for it. You must have the I.T. skills...what's the harm in learning to program? You may find that the job you ultimately wind up doing requires both.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    If you can program that's great. Many people just can't. Programming is like jazz improvisation - some people just have a knack for it.

This is true. Some people just can't program. Which is why programming positions are usually always available and decently paid. I took advantage of this and got my first real IT job based off of my ability to program and script ADSI.

This is kinda old, but it still applies: Coding Horror: Why Can't Programmers.. Program?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was a computer science major. I was good at it. However, i enjoyed working in the IT realm more. Plus, i was really worried about programming jobs being outsourced.

I would say if you have programming skills it really cant hurt. A good programming curriculum will teach you to think logically and how to think like a programmer. If you know the logic behind writing code, you will always be able to pick up another programming language with ease because all you need to know is the syntax.

Even if you decide to learn how to program but work in IT, i can guarantee it will help you because you will have developed superb problem solving skills and a strong background of computer knowledge.

I would say do whatever it is you like. Learn to program. If you like it and are good at it, make a career of it! If not, then work in IT. Those skills will help you in that career path as well!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm kind of a "special case" when it comes to IT and programming. I never really meant to get into IT, it just kind of happened while I was studying computer science in school. I ended up taking IT-related courses while I was procrastinating on taking pre-calc, then all of a sudden I found myself getting certified and working with Windows Server playing with Cisco routers & switches, and I'm currently one class away from an Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems. Now, though, I'm on the road to get back in school full-time, working my way through community college to hop up to UC Berkeley's school of engineering to do an EECS degree, then probably spend some time in grad school knee-deep in something like physics or possibly more engineering.

I've found that IT is a far better career choice than just about anything else I could be doing at this point, so it's never felt as if though I was forcing myself to do this. While I always wanted to go to school and become either an electrical engineer or a physicist, IT has treated me well and I don't regret a single day I've been in it. The way I see it, I can work my way through school and move from IT to more, uh, sciencey things, and the worst thing that can happen is that I might stay in IT and do something I know I also enjoy.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I'm kind of a "special case" when it comes to IT and programming. I never really meant to get into IT, it just kind of happened while I was studying computer science in school. I ended up taking IT-related courses while I was procrastinating on taking pre-calc, then all of a sudden I found myself getting certified and working with Windows Server playing with Cisco routers & switches, and I'm currently one class away from an Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems. Now, though, I'm on the road to get back in school full-time, working my way through community college to hop up to UC Berkeley's school of engineering to do an EECS degree, then probably spend some time in grad school knee-deep in something like physics or possibly more engineering.

I've found that IT is a far better career choice than just about anything else I could be doing at this point, so it's never felt as if though I was forcing myself to do this. While I always wanted to go to school and become either an electrical engineer or a physicist, IT has treated me well and I don't regret a single day I've been in it. The way I see it, I can work my way through school and move from IT to more, uh, sciencey things, and the worst thing that can happen is that I might stay in IT and do something I know I also enjoy.

Lol, exactly what happened to me. Although programming/application development remains a large portion of my job duties :)

I like your name for some reason slowhand, what is it based off of?
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403

Eric Clapton's nickname
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As Sounds Good said, it's taken from Eric Clapton's album/nickname. I used to use "Reptile" as my screen name for pretty much every site, (which is also the name of an Eric Clapton album,) but Slowhand is usually available and Reptile always seems to be taken. I guess there are plenty of Mortal Kombat fans out there. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    As Sounds Good said, it's taken from Eric Clapton's album/nickname. I used to use "Reptile" as my screen name for pretty much every site, (which is also the name of an Eric Clapton album,) but Slowhand is usually available and Reptile always seems to be taken. I guess there are plenty of Mortal Kombat fans out there. icon_lol.gif

Hahaha, MK. That's the first thing that came to my mind when you said Reptile. Double Flawless + Fatality at the pit.

Anyway thanks, good to know :)
  • Options
    bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can relate to this thread. I have been oscillating this last year of where I want my specialty to be. I began as a web developer. Then got my B.S. Information Systems, then took another development job.

I agree, in my area I also see a lot of .Net and Java, which would be a natural progression of what I have been doing.

In my case, I love networking way more as a profession and then application development as a hobby. Because I have no networking experience, I was thinking of pursuing my CCNA and Java at the same time..By picking up Java certification and going deeper into OO design, and agile development, and with my programming experience, I figured it would help me cover bases while I transitioned to Networking.

As a developer I always admired and revered the networking side as the foundation of everything. The network is a digital jungle and I want to know it. I love the structure, foundation, nuts and bolts of communication.

As a developer I always thought I was missing some knowledge. I was never satisfied. I even witnessed developers that had no desire to understand the network or lower level issues. I never understood that stance. How could those 2 disciplines ever be severed (applications and netowrking).The network and network issues were always very integral to the whole application environment. Then on my last job on my development project, I was really blessed to work with some really amazing people. I got to see the larger enterprise flow and observed some network experts and network quality people. As I became closer to that world it was like a tidal wave. I got overtaken really fast by wanting to work in networking and I was determined to choose something technical, lest I end up in an icky business analyst or technical documenter role, yuck! I also noticed that the more I understood about networking issues, the more I was able to effectively troubleshoot application and desktop issues. I was driven to take away my ignorance.

If you love the network...go for it! You don't have to do one or the other. That's my attitude. Don't let anything keep you from the knowledge, even the percieved lack of network jobs....

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman