Options

What I noticed at the certification testing center

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
This to me is hiliarous!

I sat for the A+ exam the other day. When I arrived this younger guy was arguing with the testing lady saying the test was incorrect. Anyway he was doing one of the 2003 server certs and he finished the exam in 25 minutes. He kept saying I know the answer and proctor kept saying you need to read the questions. They went back and forth for about 10 mins and then he finally left. I was laughing out loud. Anyway she was steamed and asked if I didn't mind if she burned a cigerette real quick. Being an ex smoker I was very understanding. When she got back we got to talking a bit more, I was fairly early. She told me a guy came in and scheduled A+ (both exams, Network + and Security +. He failed all of them except essentials.

LOL What the heck are these people thinking?

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The second that person scheduled all of them in the same day, it was game over. Why not even one day apart?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I could understand both A+ exams the same day as I did that butthe other 2 along with them...lol
    Was the guy arguing about the 2003 test because he failed and thought the test was incorrect? Man it just goes to show you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mind you, all of those exams are based on each other...but taking them all in one day??

He gets the Darwin Award for sure.....

I took A+ and Network+ in one month. That's doable...one week might or might not be pushing it. But one day? No effing way!

The sad thing is...his vouchers were probably paid with taxpayer dollars. Some unemployed DB who figured what the hey, Federal dollars/Missourah will pay for this, and if I fail, I can just get another one.

Effing jerk! LOL
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Mind you, all of those exams are based on each other...but taking them all in one day??

He gets the Darwin Award for sure.....

I took A+ and Network+ in one month. That's doable...one week might or might not be pushing it. But one day? No effing way!

The sad thing is...his vouchers were probably paid with taxpayer dollars. Some unemployed DB who figured what the hey, Federal dollars/Missourah will pay for this, and if I fail, I can just get another one.

Effing jerk! LOL

Where can I find me some of that federal money? I want to be a jerk like that too! Seriously I'm not able to find this bounty of money for the unemployed.

It's interesting that he finished in 25, said he knew the answers, and all that. Sounds almost like he was dumping and surprised that his stolen answers were wrong.

I did the two A+ within 3 days of each other and that was rough. I don't think I could push myself much harder than I did for MCSE, one attempt per month.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Last time I took a test I was with a smoking hot chick taking the Sharepoint design exam. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Where can I find me some of that federal money? I want to be a jerk like that too! Seriously I'm not able to find this bounty of money for the unemployed.

It's interesting that he finished in 25, said he knew the answers, and all that. Sounds almost like he was dumping and surprised that his stolen answers were wrong.

I did the two A+ within 3 days of each other and that was rough. I don't think I could push myself much harder than I did for MCSE, one attempt per month.

Just to be clear, the guy is a DB because he's a moron who took all exams in one day, not because he's unemployed. I've done my share of answering yes, yes, no, no no no no no no no, yes.

I'm not sure how it is in KY, but NJ you can go to school and get a check. I'm almost positive they will cover vouchers to pass a cert exam if it meant you're going to be employable. With almost what, ~$700 this guy spent, I'm not surprised if he didn't spend his own money...but either us (Federal) or the MS taxpayer did.

BTW, the Federal money went to the State...the State is the one that doles out the unemployment loot.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

agreed, I get unemployment, which is sweet, but pretty much nothing else... seems like everyone else gets showered with government money
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    This is what I was talking about (which incidently, I got to by way of KY's unemployment website):

Career Training and Career Education - CareerOneStop

I knew a lady who not only was getting the maximum amount of unemployment, but was also going to college through UI as well. I was only unemployed for a few months before I got back on my feet so I never got a chance to go deeper than making my weekly phone calls. (BTW, once I got employment, I never wanted to end up unemployed again...it seriously was scary...especially when that was the only break of employment I've had...)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That sounds like a dumper to me. The A+ tests sure, I did those on back to back days but doing the others all on the same day? Sounds kinda fishy to me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I was going to do A+/N+/S+ all in December, but the studying I've had to do to prepare has been so draining - because it's just been SO MUCH material - I opted for just A+ and N+ this month. Probably taking Security+ in March. I couldn't IMAGINE taking all 3 in the same day. He had to have known he wouldn't pass. icon_rolleyes.gif Using government money to take exams that you know you won't pass is as bad as those people that sell their food stamp money.

It's getting harder to find testing centers that are open now that the holidays are upon us!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I could understand both A+ exams the same day as I did that butthe other 2 along with them...lol
    Was the guy arguing about the 2003 test because he failed and thought the test was incorrect? Man it just goes to show you.

Evidentally this kid comes in from time to time according to the lady. She said the exam is scheduled for 3 hrs and 45 mins (correct me if I am wrong ) But I guess the server guy has been known to do this. The other kid according to the lady is a first timer. I've been to this site for all my EXIN and Comptia certs so she knows me.

She just kept telling the guy he needs to read the questions and he said either you know it or you don't, but 25 mins for a MS server exam? And he bombs it by 200 points :/

She was trying to tell him to take your time. But he was so pissed he wasn't having it.

Unbelievable lol
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    N2IT wrote: »
    Evidentally this kid comes in from time to time according to the lady. She said the exam is scheduled for 3 hrs and 45 mins (correct me if I am wrong ) But I guess the server guy has been known to do this. The other kid according to the lady is a first timer. I've been to this site for all my EXIN and Comptia certs so she knows me.

She just kept telling the guy he needs to read the questions and he said either you know it or you don't, but 25 mins for a MS server exam? And he bombs it by 200 points :/

She was trying to tell him to take your time. But he was so pissed he wasn't having it.

Unbelievable lol

It is certainly the signs of someone studying mostly/all from ****....really that kinda speed is hard to achieve M$ server questions are typically scenario based, so they are paragraphs in my experience.

Its cool let them use ****....you know what matters is how you answer questions in the interview/experience you have.

Guy has Network+ and get asked a question LIKE "What command do you use to see active TCP connections on a workstation?" and he can't say netstat, well there is a problem.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Just to be clear, the guy is a DB because he's a moron who took all exams in one day, not because he's unemployed. I've done my share of answering yes, yes, no, no no no no no no no, yes.

Yeah, I got that. I was just trying to be funny. I appreciate the link to the one stop career center. I've been to the site and called the local and state offices. They made me fill out a FAFSA to see if I could get a grant. Our estimated contribution was almost 40k/year even though we don't make anywhere near that while I'm unemployed but still, no grants. I feel like there's an easy way to get free money but I don't know how.

I agree that I don't want to be unemployed again and it's pretty scary. We were a DINK family (Duel Income No Kids) with a lot of savings so we can weather it but I don't like not having anything to do.

As for the people arguing with the testing center, I have often wanted to argue my score on close tests. The 70-298 in particular I failed the second time with a 678 and I feel I did better than that score. I know the employees can't do anything except say "better luck next time" so I never complain. If they can keep the computers running fast I'll be okay.
  • Options
    ibcritn wrote: »
    It is certainly the signs of someone studying mostly/all from ****....really that kinda speed is hard to achieve M$ server questions are typically scenario based, so they are paragraphs in my experience.

Its cool let them use ****....you know what matters is how you answer questions in the interview/experience you have.

Guy has Network+ and get asked a question LIKE "What command do you use to see active TCP connections on a workstation?" and he can't say netstat, well there is a problem.

I've never taken a Microsoft exam before, except for the office applications, which are interactive, and the operational framework which is technically offered by EXIN so I am going off what you are saying.
  • Options
    I took all of the 2003 exams this year and my fastest completion was just under 2 hours and that was after failing the same exact questions twice. It would be very hard to sit any of the tests, read the questions, consider the best answer, and confidently answer them in 25 minutes. The guy failed though so maybe he didn't **** and is just an idiot.
  • Options
    I took all of the 2003 exams this year and my fastest completion was just under 2 hours and that was after failing the same exact questions twice. It would be very hard to sit any of the tests, read the questions, consider the best answer, and confidently answer them in 25 minutes. The guy failed though so maybe he didn't **** and is just an idiot.

icon_lol.gif

The last sentence cracked me up.
  • Options
    Yeah, I got that. I was just trying to be funny. I appreciate the link to the one stop career center. I've been to the site and called the local and state offices. They made me fill out a FAFSA to see if I could get a grant. Our estimated contribution was almost 40k/year even though we don't make anywhere near that while I'm unemployed but still, no grants. I feel like there's an easy way to get free money but I don't know how.

I agree that I don't want to be unemployed again and it's pretty scary. We were a DINK family (Duel Income No Kids) with a lot of savings so we can weather it but I don't like not having anything to do.

As for the people arguing with the testing center, I have often wanted to argue my score on close tests. The 70-298 in particular I failed the second time with a 678 and I feel I did better than that score. I know the employees can't do anything except say "better luck next time" so I never complain. If they can keep the computers running fast I'll be okay.

it seems like all the government money is tied to that FASFA, but I made 80 g's last year, so I get the bone on the FASFA... but I was a single income, now a no income family, with a kid who I have full time and no child support.... so yeah... 80 g's last year was sweet, but no job since March isn't.... but no matter how many government programs I contact, they all go, "did you fill out your FASFA?" and I know that government money door is shutting...

but again, I do get unemployment, and thats pretty awesome
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    it seems like all the government money is tied to that FASFA, but I made 80 g's last year, so I get the bone on the FASFA... but I was a single income, now a no income family, with a kid who I have full time and no child support.... so yeah... 80 g's last year was sweet, but no job since March isn't.... but no matter how many government programs I contact, they all go, "did you fill out your FASFA?" and I know that government money door is shutting...

but again, I do get unemployment, and thats pretty awesome

First of all, +1 for being a man and doing what you have to do for your child. When a guy gets full custody of his kid, that was definitely necessary and no explanation needs to be given.

Second of all, you can fill that FAFSA form again for the 2011-2012 year after 1/30 (I'd imagine) due to you not working since March (assuming you don't find something between now and then). You should definitely get something for grants at that point since you made little income this calander year.

Keep trucking and bravo for doing what you have to do.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First of all, +1 for being a man and doing what you have to do for your child. When a guy gets full custody of his kid, that was definitely necessary and no explanation needs to be given.

Second of all, you can fill that FAFSA form again for the 2011-2012 year after 1/30 (I'd imagine) due to you not working since March (assuming you don't find something between now and then). You should definitely get something for grants at that point since you made little income this calander year.

Keep trucking and bravo for doing what you have to do.

+1. Indeed!
  • Options
    bmtuserbmtuser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    This to me is hiliarous!

I sat for the A+ exam the other day. When I arrived this younger guy was arguing with the testing lady saying the test was incorrect. Anyway he was doing one of the 2003 server certs and he finished the exam in 25 minutes. He kept saying I know the answer and proctor kept saying you need to read the questions. They went back and forth for about 10 mins and then he finally left. I was laughing out loud. Anyway she was steamed and asked if I didn't mind if she burned a cigerette real quick. Being an ex smoker I was very understanding. When she got back we got to talking a bit more, I was fairly early. She told me a guy came in and scheduled A+ (both exams, Network + and Security +. He failed all of them except essentials.

LOL What the heck are these people thinking?

I took both the A+ exams and the Security+ exam in the same day. It's not that crazy. It took me two hours to finish all three tests. If you have been working in the field for a while, then A+ takes a day or two to brush up on stuff you don't use on a regular basis. If you study for both of those exams Network+ is pretty easy. I did learn my lesson real quick after trying to do the same thing with Microsoft exams. They are no joke! If you do not know your stuff, you will fail! I have respect for anyone that gets Microsoft certified. icon_thumright.gif
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
    Finished BS IT Network Administrator on 03/10/2012
  • Options
    bmtuser wrote: »
    I took both the A+ exams and the Security+ exam in the same day. It's not that crazy. It took me two hours to finish all three tests. If you have been working in the field for a while, then A+ takes a day or two to brush up on stuff you don't use on a regular basis. If you study for both of those exams Network+ is pretty easy. I did learn my lesson real quick after trying to do the same thing with Microsoft exams. They are no joke! If you do not know your stuff, you will fail! I have respect for anyone that gets Microsoft certified. icon_thumright.gif

yeah, I am currently studying Security+, the trinity seems to build off itself, so if I had more work experience I could see doing them all together... but then again, that's 400 questions in one day... that's kinda heavy...

i took 701 & 702 in one day, and I scored much lower on 702, and I do think it was harder than 701, but I think I was also ready to be done with testing that day, so maybe I rushed it a little....

to the other guys, thanks for the props.... i wasn't looking for credit there, just pointing out situations... but thanks yo...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Speed in taking an exam isn't necessarily indicative of dumping. Neither is the amount of exams one takes in a day. All it indicates is either confidence or stupidity.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Speed in taking an exam isn't necessarily indicative of dumping. Neither is the amount of exams one takes in a day. All it indicates is either confidence or stupidity.

Actually it's a little bit of both confidence and stupidity. icon_lol.gif I would have scored much higher on the exams if I took my time and spaced them out just a little. After failing two Microsoft exams in 24 hours in June, I haven't had the confidence to even attempt another exam.
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
  • Options
    bmtuser wrote: »
    Actually it's a little bit of both confidence and stupidity. icon_lol.gif I would have scored much higher on the exams if I took my time and spaced them out just a little. After failing two Microsoft exams in 24 hours in June, I haven't had the confidence to even attempt another exam.

I had 13 years of PC/IT experience before I took A+ and Network+. I would have neither taken both in the same day, nor advise one to do so. One week/One month...very doable. One day...while possible, (anything is possible), is very illadvised. (And I am talking about BOTH A+ exams and Network+...not the A+, which most certainly is and can be done in a day...though I didn't have time to do the one dayer...)

I am glad though that it worked out for you though...but that definitely falls under the "Kids, don't try this at home [or anywhere]" category...icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I had 13 years of PC/IT experience before I took A+ and Network+. I would have neither taken both in the same day, nor advise one to do so. One week/One month...very doable. One day...while possible, (anything is possible), is very illadvised. (And I am talking about BOTH A+ exams and Network+...not the A+, which most certainly is and can be done in a day...though I didn't have time to do the one dayer...)

I am glad though that it worked out for you though...but that definitely falls under the "Kids, don't try this at home [or anywhere]" category...icon_lol.gif

I agree. I would never advise anyone to take multiple exams on one day. I did it because it costs too much time/money to travel to the nearest testing site. Looking back it was a poor excuse since it cost me over 300 bucks trying to rush through the Microsoft certs and failing miserably.
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »

He was stupidly confident for taking them all in one day...ah-thank-you! icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This sounds like someone who waited to last minute to take exams.
    Entry-level, I don't need to study.
    He probably also didn't truly read questions, as he is so smart he knows his stuff.
    I would think he would be hard to work with.
    Makes me wonder how good he is.
    Doesn't like he has good attention to details. Bandaid fixer in his real job.
    He probably fights lots of fires, but doesn't really fix problems.
  • Options
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    This sounds like someone who waited to last minute to take exams.
    Entry-level, I don't need to study.
    He probably also didn't truly read questions, as he is so smart he knows his stuff.
    I would think he would be hard to work with.
    Makes me wonder how good he is.
    Doesn't like he has good attention to details. Bandaid fixer in his real job.
    He probably fights lots of fires, but doesn't really fix problems.

I love this freudian break down!

Cred for this post!