Options

What Is The Best CCNA Tutorial Video Series?

supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the best CCNA Tutorial Video Series?

Preferably one which starts with CCENT (640-822), so that I can take the CCENT half-way through my studies.

Please tell me which video series is worth getting.

Thanks

supe

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    CBT Nuggets Jeremy Ciora. He makes the material fun and if for nothing else, you will probably want to see his videos on subnetting. Cisco CCNA Certification Package

You did ask for the best, not the cheapest icon_lol.gif Jeremy won't put you to sleep and you will learn! You can generally follow along with him using a catalyst 2950 and gns3 for your routers.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for Jeremy Ciaora.

A lot of people think pretty highly of Chris Bryant also. I've checked out a few of his free videos on YouTube and his stuff looks pretty good.
  • Options
    supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Alan and ehnde, I'll check them out.

Do I need any supplementary materials, ie; a textbook, or will the CBT suffice?

CBT Nuggets
    CCENT length: 14:44:48
    ICND2 length: ~16 hours

TrainSignal
    CCENT length: 15:20:42
    ICND2 length: 16:47:24

CiscoPress Video Mentor
    CCENT length: 2:00:29
    ICND2 length: 2:02:55

LearnSmart
    CCNA length: ~27 hours

LammlePress
    CCNA length: 15:15:48
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    supe wrote: »
    Do I need any supplementary materials
    Videos are supplemental material.

The primary source for self-study should probably be the Odom Certification Library. Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition) is a good 2nd source -- or primary source if you already have lot of Cisco work experience with most of the CCNA topics listed in the exam blueprint and just need a refresher.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    You should, without a doubt, have a book to read. I have wendell odem's book, and I feel I am ready to tackle the icnd1 in early jan after watching cbt nuggets twice and reading the book twice through.
  • Options
    simplysimply Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No one mentioned train signal...

TrainSignal is having a special right now and i'm debating on whether i should get
    * $150 : Boson ExSim ( icnd1 & icnd2 )
    * $150 : NetSim 8 for CCNA

or

Train Signal's
    * $297 CCENT training that comes with
    * videos can be watched in any format mp3, avi, wmi, ipod, etc...
    * get free transceder ( full version ) CCENT exam
    * 90 day return policy can't be beat either

Maybe i should just get both?
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    Jeremy won't put you to sleep
    LIES!!! There was one video that did...

I'd still recommend CBT nuggets though
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    simply wrote: »
    No one mentioned train signal...

I most certainly did. Train Signal = Chris Bryant. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    My apologizes Alan...

I have CBTNugget videos for icnd1 & icnd2
    1) paid ~ $400
    2) they are very good
    3) i'm going through them now

Reason i mentioned Boson & Trian Signal is because i need something to practice with
    1) Exam simulator
    2) Hardware ( router / switch ) Simulator until i can put together lab

Boson has special now on:
    * $150 : Boson ExSim ( icnd1 & icnd2 ) - exam simulator
    * $150 : NetSim 8 for CCNA - hardware simulator

Train Signal has special too and 90 day return for any reason. While i don't have any plans to return any of the software i purchase, if it turned out not to be good, then i would
    1) $297 CCENT bundle
    2) Training Videos can be used on many platforms ( CBT only on pc licensed )
    3) Comes with Trancender ( full version ) - use to practice CCENT Exam
  • Options
    StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would have to say hands down CBT Nuggets. Jeremy has a really engaging way of delivering the content and the nuggets have been my companion up to my IE Written. The Sybex book is like the Bible for me.

I advise you to not use the Train Signal stuff unless you have issues with insomnia. Chris has some great talking points but the delivery is dryer than dehydrated sandpaper being sun baked in the desert.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stovokor wrote: »
    Chris has some great talking points but the delivery is dryer than dehydrated sandpaper being sun baked in the desert.

I think both sites, CBTNuggets and TrainSignal, have sample videos -- so you can decide who's style works best for you.

From what I remember:
    Jeremy is more Capt. Kirk and Chris is more Spock.
    Chris is more like Obi Wan, and Jeremy is more like Han.
    Jeremy is more Curly, Chris is more Shemp.
    Chris is more Secretariat, Jeremy is more Seabiscuit.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    joesmithjoesmith Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Jeremy is more Capt. Kirk and Chris is more Spock.
    Chris is more like Obi Wan, and Jeremy is more like Han.
    Jeremy is more Curly, Chris is more Shemp.
    Chris is more Secretariat, Jeremy is more Seabiscuit.

That is hands down the best comparative I have ever seen of two instructors, not only did I get every reference but it clearly contrasts the two.

Bravo Sir! Bravo!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think both sites, CBTNuggets and TrainSignal, have sample videos -- so you can decide who's style works best for you.

I didn't see any when I quickly glanced at the TrainSignal site, but if you look for the ccie12933 channel on YouTube, there's a ton. And yes, once you watch a few of his videos, you'll remember that number. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    First I just want to say I’m truly grateful and appreciative to everyone who responds to post I submit. When I look at the certifications ( accomplishments ) next to your names, I’m truly honored and humbled. Thank you for your time, effort, and considerations.

Stovokor :
    thanks for comments on CBT Nuggets as I truly enjoy his videos thus far ( they’re only ones I’ve viewed thus far concerning CCENT ). I’ve been using CCENT/ICND1 from Cisco / Wendell Odem; however, I’ve seen several mentions of another book from Sybex / Todd Lammie “ CCENT Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide “.

Question: Should one own both books and cross reference?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mikej412:
    Wow!!! That’s a lot of certs… Thanks for your comments as well. I’ll check out Sybex. And thanks for analogy between Jeremy and Chris
    Greenmet:
    You’re using exactly what I currently have. Did you do any hands on? Router / switch simulators or real equipment. That’s been my major struggle. Do I purchase equipment now or wait until I pass CCENT.
    That’s dedicated & serious ( read book and went through videos twice )… I’ll consider that after having gone through first time
    Alan:
    Thanks... I’ll check out Chris Bryant ( TrainSignal ) on youtube and sample videos..

Again,
    Truly appreciate everyone’s help, assistance and responses

-simply
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    simply wrote: »
    Greenmet:
    You’re using exactly what I currently have. Did ou do any hands on? Router / switch simulators or real equipment. That’s been my major struggle. Do I purchase equipment now or wait until I pass CCENT.
    That’s dedicated & serious ( read book and went through videos twice )… I’ll consider that after having gone through first time

I have picked up some routers and switches. My uncle is a big wig in a big company and he gets their old stuff sometimes, so he's helped me out some. I've also picked up a router off of craigslist, a switch off of ebay, and another switch from my wife's uncle. I feel like actually seeing and using the equipment has been priceless, but as you might have figured out from me reading the book and watching the videos twice through, I don't exactly digest information quickly just reading about it. I have to do it.

I got a used 2950 24 port switch off ebay for 29.99 with free shipping. It was an auction that ended in the middle of the day that no one was bidding on and I just stuck a bid on it and got it. It did take a week or two of persistence though lol
  • Options
    Greenmet,
    Thanks for update... I'm very close to pulling trigger on purchasing a complete lab...
    see new thread " CCENT/CCNA lab from CiscoKits - Please Review & critique" at:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61905-ccent-ccna-lab-ciscokits-please-review-critique.html#post488144
  • Options
    craynoodcraynood Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets and CCNA by lammle. This useful!