Options

Just about to order a Kindle DX

aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

As the topic says I'm just about to order a Kindle DX (I'm UK based so not thrilled about having to order via the US site etc but happy enough that Amazon have a clear policy on shipping to the UK).

After having done much research which included reading some very helpful posts here, I feel this is currently the best eReader available (big screen suited for PDFs). The only thing it's missing in my opinion is a memory card slot.

So can anyone see any problems before I hit the order button for Christmas?

I plan to use the device for studying (like a lot of people on here I imagine) and will be reading a lot of Cisco PDFs (maybe some Microsoft as well if work get there way and make me study for an MCIPT).
Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In terms of reading for study and enjoyment, I have to say that the Kindle (2nd Generation) is hands down the best thing I ever won (vendor swag...mmmm :) ) I used it to study for my Security+ and Project+ exams and was able read them both fully with no issue (though the Project+ needed to have Text To Speech turned on, but that's because the material is dull and dry). You're British, so you'll probably like the Stephen Hawking-like voice...in either male or female readings. :)

Thing I love about the Kindle is a lot of classics (if not all of them that are out of copyright) are 100% free. I downloaded The Prince and The Art of War and both are very good reads. I am very happy with my Kindle and probably when the situation warrants in 2-3 years, I'll upgrade to the latest and greatest via my own money. When you do order the device, make sure you get the leather case for it as well.
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have been considering getting one as well - to save me lugging al those volumes all over the place. give us a review when you get it, would you
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I looked at the kindle DX, it is quite nice. However, hands down, the nook color wins the PDF war. Even with it's native pdf viewer you have many options for text size etc. I did make the purchase originally as an e-reader however there is a whole community out there who has rooted the device to make it more or less a complete android tablet. Also price wise, it really can't be beat.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for grabbing a kindle. I'm thinking about a DX soon but my only concern is it being too big maybe?
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    The DX is a better version for PDF files, as the texts for PDF's are too small for the regular Kindle, unless you zoom, but the page will no longer fit to width, which I find very annoying.

I prefer purchasing my books via Kindle as its a lot easier to carry around. However, for the price you're willing to pay, why not just go for an iPad? It handles PDF's a lot better, and also does a lot more? Are you looking to use the Kindle outside more? E-Ink is a very nice feature.

I would get a Kindle DX, but I'm waiting for the price to drop as it's too close to the price of an iPad right now.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I looked at the kindle DX, it is quite nice. However, hands down, the nook color wins the PDF war. Even with it's native pdf viewer you have many options for text size etc. I did make the purchase originally as an e-reader however there is a whole community out there who has rooted the device to make it more or less a complete android tablet. Also price wise, it really can't be beat.

Depends on the usage. If someone wants to read outside E-Ink is better than an LCD in light, and the battery life on a Kindle is amazing (30 days for regular Kindle) 2-3 weeks for DX. But if you don't plan on taking it outside, the Nook color is a good alternative as it's cheaper than the DX, however the screen size is a little smaller.

I was just thinking this very second about the con of owning a Nook or even an iPad as a reader....because it would be so easy to get distracted and not focus on the reading portion.

Today I was in my den, reading George Bush's Decision Points (my iphone and laptop upstairs) and with no distractions got about 2 hours worth of reading in. I couldn't imagine doing that on a tablet, too easy to start doing something else.
    Next Up...
  • Options
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    Depends on the usage. If someone wants to read outside E-Ink is better than an LCD in light, and the battery life on a Kindle is amazing (30 days for regular Kindle) 2-3 weeks for DX. But if you don't plan on taking it outside, the Nook color is a good alternative as it's cheaper than the DX, however the screen size is a little smaller.

I was just thinking this very second about the con of owning a Nook or even an iPad as a reader....because it would be so easy to get distracted and not focus on the reading portion.

Today I was in my den, reading George Bush's Decision Points (my iphone and laptop upstairs) and with no distractions got about 2 hours worth of reading in. I couldn't imagine doing that on a tablet, too easy to start doing something else.

Yeah I hear that, I find that usually in between chapters I end up playing angry birds. icon_lol.gif On the other hand though, if there is something i'm reading and want to do a little more research on it, open up the browser and take a look so it has it's pros and cons. Of course i'm using this just for study material really, when it comes to a standard novel I always prefer to buy a copy of the book. Just love the smell of em for some reason.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the nook color wins the PDF war.
    Personally I think my desktop with 26" monitor wins the PDF war -- but for extended READING and portability I'll use my Kindle DX.

For reading at night in the dark I'll use the 10" Android tablet.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Personally I think my desktop with 26" monitor wins the PDF war -- but for extended READING and portability I'll use my Kindle DX.

For reading at night in the dark I'll use the 10" Android tablet.

I can't justify all those gadgets in my house hold, lol.
    Next Up...
  • Options
    +1 for grabbing a kindle. I'm thinking about a DX soon but my only concern is it being too big maybe?

Quoting previous people, I feel a 6" screen is too small for reading PDFs. I was in my local Waterstones (book shop in the UK) and they had the a Sony 6" reader on display. It was fine to read an ordinary book but I feel reading a PDF would have been a struggle.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    I prefer purchasing my books via Kindle as its a lot easier to carry around. However, for the price you're willing to pay, why not just go for an iPad? It handles PDF's a lot better, and also does a lot more? Are you looking to use the Kindle outside more? E-Ink is a very nice feature.

I would get a Kindle DX, but I'm waiting for the price to drop as it's too close to the price of an iPad right now.
    The cheapest iPad (16G and no 3G) is currently retailing at £429 ($680) in the UK. The Amazon Kindle DX is $379 before import taxes. Almost $300 difference and the Kindle DX is slightly ligther (540g as opposed to 680g for iPad).

I will also be using the DX all over the place so the eInk is a nice feature.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options

Absolutely agree regarding the distraction feature! :)

This is why I don't (read: can't) read PDFs on my main machine. I will start reading them, and then either search something and become distracted or just find what I'm reading plain boring and browse the internet!
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    At some point aquilla, you'll hit the PDF wall on eReaders- and the IT kind of pdf's isn't just same-old same-old plain text and few pics, on the contrary, it may contain plenty of tables, graphs, charts, bullet points, special text formatting and each and every one of these eReaders tends to turn such pdf's into a chopped salad, finely mix it and then display it to you to leave you absolutely clueless as you try to read those PDF's.
    I bought nook just for the eInk screen and connection to B&N store but also for storing and reading various PDF's. Everything else works but PDF's with just a tad more complex formatting than plain text- bullet points fall apart, tables are disassembled etc. From what I read from owners of other eReaders with eInk, no improvement there either. The only eInk reader that LOOKS promising with complex PDF's is Sony PRS 950 but I am not going to go on a crusade for That Perfect Ereader and buy every new toy that comes on the market.
    Rumor has it that a color eInk reader (with the screen size in A4 format, which alegedly improves PDF rendering on eInk screen) is due to hit the market in Japan in the first quarter of next year, so if you haven't got an eReader yet, holding off for just a bit may be a very smart thing.
    I deliberately failed to mention backlit screen eReaders, not my liking...
  • Options
    when it comes to a standard novel I always prefer to buy a copy of the book. Just love the smell of em for some reason.
    Same here, same here!icon_redface.gif
    The smell of fresh print, mmmm!!!!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    aquilla wrote: »
    Quoting previous people, I feel a 6" screen is too small for reading PDFs. I was in my local Waterstones (book shop in the UK) and they had the a Sony 6" reader on display. It was fine to read an ordinary book but I feel reading a PDF would have been a struggle.

I did try reading a PDF on my Kindle...currently, I will not make that attempt until something improves.

I would love the DX and I wish Amazon had an upgrade path instead of me putting my Kindle on eBay. But I figure after 2-3 years, maybe I can justify spending X amount on a larger eReader (which will be the Kindle again)...the price I got mine for (FREE) was something I just couldn't ignore...and I absolutely love mine.

You should absolutely get a DX...you seriously won't be disappointed.

Barnes and Noble is going through some flux things right now, and might get bought up by Borders (as opposed to the other way around...). Because of the current crap B&N is going through, there's no way I'd recommend anyone getting a Nook.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    varelg wrote: »
    you'll hit the PDF wall on eReaders- and the IT kind of pdf's isn't just same-old same-old plain text and few pics, on the contrary, it may contain plenty of tables, graphs, charts, bullet points, special text formatting and each and every one of these eReaders tends to turn such pdf's into a chopped salad, finely mix it and then display it to you to leave you absolutely clueless as you try to read those PDF's.
    I haven't seen one of those on my DX. Do you have an example -- maybe a corporate report, SEC financial reports or filings, some vendor product specifications or data sheet?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    At some point aquilla, you'll hit the PDF wall on eReaders- and the IT kind of pdf's isn't just same-old same-old plain text and few pics, on the contrary, it may contain plenty of tables, graphs, charts, bullet points, special text formatting and each and every one of these eReaders tends to turn such pdf's into a chopped salad, finely mix it and then display it to you to leave you absolutely clueless as you try to read those PDF's.
    I bought nook just for the eInk screen and connection to B&N store but also for storing and reading various PDF's. Everything else works but PDF's with just a tad more complex formatting than plain text- bullet points fall apart, tables are disassembled etc. From what I read from owners of other eReaders with eInk, no improvement there either. The only eInk reader that LOOKS promising with complex PDF's is Sony PRS 950 but I am not going to go on a crusade for That Perfect Ereader and buy every new toy that comes on the market.
    Rumor has it that a color eInk reader (with the screen size in A4 format, which alegedly improves PDF rendering on eInk screen) is due to hit the market in Japan in the first quarter of next year, so if you haven't got an eReader yet, holding off for just a bit may be a very smart thing.
    I deliberately failed to mention backlit screen eReaders, not my liking...
    Regarding the Nook from B&N - what's the support like in the UK for this? Do B&N have outlets in the UK that could support the unit? Would the units work in the UK?

Also with regards to the "upcoming eReaders", I feel you have to make the jump at somepoint and accept what is currently on the market otherwise you would be sitting there "just waiting" because something new would in the pipeline and due to be released soon. You say there is a colour eInk reader due to hit the market in Japan in Q1 2011. How long is it going to take to come to the UK?
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I haven't seen one of those on my DX. Do you have an example -- maybe a corporate report, SEC financial reports or filings, some vendor product specifications or data sheet?
    Not necessarily of that level of complexity but here's an example that I'd like to read but is garbled when on Nook. Pick any PDF in that collection and watch how tables are broken and formatting lost...
    As far as I know aquilla, officially nook is US- only (so far), although in my opinion it should work anywhere as long as you don't depend fully on B&N shop since it connects quite easily with PC's and has wi-fi capability.
  • Options
    Not necessarily of that level of complexity but here's an example that I'd like to read but is garbled when on Nook. Pick any PDF in that collection and watch how tables are broken and formatting lost...
    As far as I know aquilla, officially nook is US- only (so far), although in my opinion it should work anywhere as long as you don't depend fully on B&N shop since it connects quite easily with PC's and has wi-fi capability.

Also if you're adventurous and like to tinker it can be rooted and has just about full Android 2.1 functionality. People have 2.2 on it as well, but I don't feel like disabling my battery heat sensor to get it working yet. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pull the trigger. You won't regret it! c",)
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love my Kindle DX icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Just clicked the order button. :)

Amazon US don't have any in stock for international delivery (and haven't done for over a week - hence why I haven't rushed) at the moment.

Once it gets here I'll post up a review.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wish they would let retailers carry this model, so folks could see it first hand before ordering it.
  • Options
    Is there an upgrade program that would allow me to trade in my Kindle 2, and just pay the difference? Or am I pretty much stuck with eBay?

Or should I just keep my old Kindle 2 and just drop the $379 or whatever it is for the DX? The bigger screen does scream "buy me" at me.... :)
  • Options
    god_of_thundergod_of_thunder Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Staples and Target carry the Kindle, you could check it out first hand in store.
    Get JNCIA-Junos by Dec 31st.
    Then pursue the loftiest goal ever.
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Amazon has a really good return policy on their Kindle. I ordered the Kindle 3 first but found it to be too small, so I sent it back in 30 days and only lost a few bucks on return shipping.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I wish they would let retailers carry this model, so folks could see it first hand before ordering it.
    I went to Staples the other day, they have Kindles and Sony's on display that you can take in your hand and try few things... it is a BIG display but I am not sure if it guarantees reliable PDF display...
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They carry the Kindle, not the Kindle DX. Same with Best Buy. All the places have told me the same thing, if you want the DX you have to go direct.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »

You won't regret buying the DX.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Is there an upgrade program that would allow me to trade in my Kindle 2, and just pay the difference? Or am I pretty much stuck with eBay?

Or should I just keep my old Kindle 2 and just drop the $379 or whatever it is for the DX? The bigger screen does scream "buy me" at me.... :)

How long have you had your Kindle? As already mentioned, Amazon's 30 days return policy is great.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    zerglings wrote: »
    You won't regret buying the DX.

How long have you had your Kindle? As already mentioned, Amazon's 30 days return policy is great.

9 months. I didn't buy it; it was vendor swag (went to a conference that was supported by vendors, had my conference badge scanned and one of our confirmed vendors emailed me stating I won a Kindle 2). I was dragged out by one of our managers to the vendor tables and begrudgingly went and got my badge scanned by every vendor. A Wii, ipad, laptop, HDTV, Playstation, laptops, and various items were up for grabs. The only thing I won was a brand new Kindle 2.

I'm ok with the Kindle if I'm stuck with it. Just can't force myself to pay full price for the Kindle DX (right now). In two or three years, it might be a different story.