Options

How do I get from here to there?

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
So I'm trying to make a plan, create some written goals, and do everything I can to get to where I would like to be. I should have my CCNA next week pending I pass the test (I think I will pass.)

I have 5 years in the IT industry starting with Tech support, doing a little desktop support on the side, went to another tech support job, did level 2 tech support, and now I am doing help desk. The networking is all outsourced where I work so it's not an option to move up where I am.

The question is how do I get my foot in the door?
Get more certifications? If so which ones?
How do I get experience?
Should I learn some Microsoft as well?

It's funny I work right across from Cisco in RTP, NC.

I want to eventually be a CCIE and it's going to take experience and dedication to get there. Once I have that I would love to be a consultant either for Cisco or another firm.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bcall64 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to make a plan, create some written goals, and do everything I can to get to where I would like to be. I should have my CCNA next week pending I pass the test (I think I will pass.)

I have 5 years in the IT industry starting with Tech support, doing a little desktop support on the side, went to another tech support job, did level 2 tech support, and now I am doing help desk. The networking is all outsourced where I work so it's not an option to move up where I am.

The question is how do I get my foot in the door?
    Get more certifications? If so which ones?
    How do I get experience?
    Should I learn some Microsoft as well?

It's funny I work right across from Cisco in RTP, NC.

I want to eventually be a CCIE and it's going to take experience and dedication to get there. Once I have that I would love to be a consultant either for Cisco or another firm.

Hey B!

First of all we need to clearly define what is "there". Second have you tried going across the street? icon_lol.gif Seriously though, if you could get on at Cisco, the potential of incredible experience would be awesome. I think that you are either going to have to go about this two ways: Work your way up in a large enterprise (which is more stable and usually the way many people go about doing it) or start doing some job hoping, gaining as much good, progressive experience and certifications as you can as well as gain valuable contacts. You can either jump up via contracting or consulting, or a mix of both. This has the potential to be a much shorter path but you could also suffer from a spotty looking resume if you jump too much. I am sticking around my current job for this very reason. I know you are married now so that might not fly so well with your wife.

It is my opinion that you should focus (if you can icon_wink.gif) on something you really want to do and then just do it. If you know you want to be in networking, try to decide on which branch (R/S, Sec, VOIP, Wireless, SAN/FC, etc) or try a little bit of all of them. Today many people want people with knowledge of many areas. What would be really awesome is if you could get into a good, progressive NOC with a decent company (like cisco) and get your feet wet. The time I spent in a NOC really opened my eyes to the difference between labbing something out and having real world knowledge of it. It takes seeing a 6509 or a UC500 to really drive certain points home. I don't know how else to explain it. It is just different and wonderful. RTP seems like they would have many NOCs to choose from.

As far as MS, I have been in that argument time and time again. For now, I have decided that I won't complete it. Many network engineers here only have "networking" certs. Some of the security folks even don't have any. I think you just need to decided on if you want to spend the time/money certifying on something you don't want to work with.
  • Options
    Hey B!

First of all we need to clearly define what is "there". Second have you tried going across the street? icon_lol.gif Seriously though, if you could get on at Cisco, the potential of incredible experience would be awesome. I think that you are either going to have to go about this two ways: Work your way up in a large enterprise (which is more stable and usually the way many people go about doing it) or start doing some job hoping, gaining as much good, progressive experience and certifications as you can as well as gain valuable contacts. You can either jump up via contracting or consulting, or a mix of both. This has the potential to be a much shorter path but you could also suffer from a spotty looking resume if you jump too much. I am sticking around my current job for this very reason. I know you are married now so that might not fly so well with your wife.

It is my opinion that you should focus (if you can icon_wink.gif) on something you really want to do and then just do it. If you know you want to be in networking, try to decide on which branch (R/S, Sec, VOIP, Wireless, SAN/FC, etc) or try a little bit of all of them. Today many people want people with knowledge of many areas. What would be really awesome is if you could get into a good, progressive NOC with a decent company (like cisco) and get your feet wet. The time I spent in a NOC really opened my eyes to the difference between labbing something out and having real world knowledge of it. It takes seeing a 6509 or a UC500 to really drive certain points home. I don't know how else to explain it. It is just different and wonderful. RTP seems like they would have many NOCs to choose from.

As far as MS, I have been in that argument time and time again. For now, I have decided that I won't complete it. Many network engineers here only have "networking" certs. Some of the security folks even don't have any. I think you just need to decided on if you want to spend the time/money certifying on something you don't want to work with.

That's really helpful. Thanks a bunch. I'm working on getting a lunch setup with a CCIE that's over at Cisco. He is a network consulting engineer and has a nice cushy position. That's my first step. I guess I could go all the way across the associate level and get wireless, voice, security, etc. That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

As far as being married you're right I have to provide security. Financially we will have more flexibility in the near future. We will be debt free and have a 3 month emergency fund soon. That helps a ton.

What's NOC's are around here? How do I find them? How do I find contacts within them? I know just applying to job postings isn't the best way to find a job. If I could get in contact with a hiring manager and sell myself that is more powerful than anything else.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should check out Verizon in Cary. They were usually hiring techs when I was in the area. You probably won't be able to get anything too high level right off the bat, but at least it will be network support with plenty opportunity to advance into the cool stuff.

http://www.verizonbusiness.jobs/
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You should check out Verizon in Cary. They were usually hiring techs when I was in the area. You probably won't be able to get anything too high level right off the bat, but at least it will be network support with plenty opportunity to advance into the cool stuff.

Verizon Business : Careers

Yeah it looks like they have a lot of openings. I will try and get my foot in the door after I pass the CCNA.
  • Options
    DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, Good Luck on you Exam!!!

Next, If I might ask a question to whomever is might offer an answer. Are the terms "Getting a foot in the door" or " Just trying to get my foot in the door" etc... bad to say to potential employers? I just saw it mentioned a few times & I've been told that it's something you shouldn't say. As someone trying to enter the field isn't that exactly what we are trying to do? What might work better??

ThankS
    bcall64 wrote: »
    Yeah it looks like they have a lot of openings. I will try and get my foot in the door after I pass the CCNA.
  • Options
    Dclown wrote: »
    First, Good Luck on you Exam!!!

Next, If I might ask a question to whomever is might offer an answer. Are the terms "Getting a foot in the door" or " Just trying to get my foot in the door" etc... bad to say to potential employers? I just saw it mentioned a few times & I've been told that it's something you shouldn't say. As someone trying to enter the field isn't that exactly what we are trying to do? What might work better??

ThankS

I never really put it that way but I do ask about career development in interviews. What opportunities are there in the company? etc.