Options

New job - new life

za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been searching for a new job here in Syria for almost months but nothing interesting and most jobs were really entry level while I'm looking for a better job on both financial and technical level.

I've decided to move to Gulf Area because the market there is much bigger and I will be working on a bigger scale than here and it's of course better wages.

I've been lucky to find a contractor job at Aramco which is one of biggest oil company in the world through a friend of mine. I'm waiting for Visa now and expected to travel next Thursday/Friday.

The job is located in Al Khobar - KSA and it's a one year contract I will be working in ITBCM (IT Business Continuity Management) as a Coordinator my job will be dealing with many departments so that's a plus it's not heavy on the technical level but it's really interesting on communications level and I will be working with multinationals employees.

My family will be moving with me, it's a huge step for them especially for my 2.5 years old daughter she will be missing a lot . My wife will struggle at first since women are not allowed to drive there.

On the other side the pay is almost 300% what I'm making now icon_cheers.gif

I hope that I will be able to finish the last exam I have for 2010 which is 70-647 the good thing is that I can do the exam there in Khobar so no more trips to Lebanon icon_wink.gif

Well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do

Will Miss Syria and Damascus for sure

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Ive never been to Syria, but I have been all over the gulf area (I used to work for the US State Dept). Hope it all works out for you and your family.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Congrats! Ive never been to Syria, but I have been all over the gulf area (I used to work for the US State Dept). Hope it all works out for you and your family.

Thanks a lot, I've been only to Dubai (I hated) and Abu Dhabi (I loved). It's gonna be my first trip to Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! I'm happy to see your progress! :)
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Wow -- thats nice! I've mostly been in the NY area so I have no idea how it'd feel to literally MOVE to another area for a job but congrats either way!

I recently got a job myself in working more with Cisco (my goal) so it looks like its true what they say, beginning and end of year is usually when companies start hiring.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Wow -- thats nice! I've mostly been in the NY area so I have no idea how it'd feel to literally MOVE to another area for a job but congrats either way!

I recently got a job myself in working more with Cisco (my goal) so it looks like its true what they say, beginning and end of year is usually when companies start hiring.

I have moved twice, and both times as further as possible from middle east ;). It's all right when you a have job and place to move to, but much troublesome when moving somewhere with out knowing WTF is in store for you. and yes New York rocks.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    za3bour wrote: »
    My wife will struggle at first since women are not allowed to drive there.

Is this true?
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes. Saudi Arabia is quite restrictive on what women can and can not do.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congrats za3bour on your promotion, regarding jobs on "better financial and technical level" there may have been back in your country just in a different segment of the IT market- however I assume this without knowing actual conditions of the job market in particular countries, just my experience of seeing Windows stops being a viable solution at a certain level...
    Good luck on your new job! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks a lot, I've been only to Dubai (I hated) and Abu Dhabi (I loved). It's gonna be my first trip to Saudi Arabia.

I guess the good thing is you and your family get to do the hajj. That's something positive, I guess.

Congrats on the new job.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Yes. Saudi Arabia is quite restrictive on what women can and can not do.

Syria is also much more secular compared to the KSA. Women have to cover up over there and always defer to men (at least in public).
  • Options

Thanks indeed, well I didn't experience this feeling before as well it's pretty a combination of joy, excitement, business and sadness in some areas. I will not move my furniture because it will cost a fortune so it will be at my house in Damascus however I did pack almost every thing else.

The last 10 days have been really really busy trying to pack and buy stuff. I was actually shock to get the offer I didn't really know that they do hire at the end of the year.

The funny thing is that just this week I got 2 jobs interview which I turned down while in the last three months I got only one :D
  • Options
    Congrats man! I'm happy to see your progress! :)

Thanks a lot, it's a good step for me
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I guess the good thing is you and your family get to do the hajj. That's something positive, I guess.

Congrats on the new job.

True indeed, you need to get permit to do the Hajj and usually you don't get it unless you are over 60. Every year they only take around 25000 people from Syria. Living in Saudi Arabia you can easily get the permit.

I'm not that religious but I do wanna do the hajj someday.

Thanks
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Is this true?

Yea icon_cry.gif it's pretty weird, my wife is used to drive and go to her work/gym and do her visits which she can't do anymore.

We can get a driver though but that's not cheap. It's not the same now in KSA there are less restrictions than before but it's pretty conservative society.

To be honest my goal was to get a job in Qatar (and still) but the offer was too good to be rejected.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea icon_cry.gif it's pretty weird, my wife is used to drive and go to her work/gym and do her visits which she can't do anymore.

We can get a driver though but that's not cheap. It's not the same now in KSA there are less restrictions than before but it's pretty conservative society.

To be honest my goal was to get a job in Qatar (and still) but the offer was too good to be rejected.

Congratulations on the job. Just be sure to observe all the laws over there and you will be fine.
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »
    I have moved twice, and both times as further as possible from middle east ;). It's all right when you a have job and place to move to, but much troublesome when moving somewhere with out knowing WTF is in store for you. and yes New York rocks.

I agree it Rocks :D I've been there for one day only and felt in love with it. I wish I could move to USA someday.

Middle East is pretty complicated and not easy to live in/adopt for foreigners.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Congratulations on the job. Just be sure to observe all the laws over there and you will be fine.

Thanks a lot,

Yea I've been told a lot about this, Khobar though is more open comparing to other cities in KSA like Riyadh because many foreigners lives there.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646

I worked in Doha for a few months - I had a blast. Qatar has a very open and comparatively liberal society, so I can definitely see the draw. Good luck on getting a job there!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the new Job and new adventure icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new Job and new adventure icon_cheers.gif

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I worked in Doha for a few months - I had a blast. Qatar has a very open and comparatively liberal society, so I can definitely see the draw. Good luck on getting a job there!

Yea that's what I heard I didn't like Dubai because I thought it's very artificial I heard Doha is not. My dream has been to attend World Cup (Soccer) and since Qatar is hosting 2022 it won't be closer than this :D

Thanks for the wishes
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats mate, glad things are working out for you. I remember your threads about having to go to a different city to do an exam, and once the centre was closed or something. Good luck on the new role.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been searching for a new job here in Syria for almost months but nothing interesting and most jobs were really entry level while I'm looking for a better job on both financial and technical level.

I've decided to move to Gulf Area because the market there is much bigger and I will be working on a bigger scale than here and it's of course better wages.

I've been lucky to find a contractor job at Aramco which is one of biggest oil company in the world through a friend of mine. I'm waiting for Visa now and expected to travel next Thursday/Friday.

The job is located in Al Khobar - KSA and it's a one year contract I will be working in ITBCM (IT Business Continuity Management) as a Coordinator my job will be dealing with many departments so that's a plus it's not heavy on the technical level but it's really interesting on communications level and I will be working with multinationals employees.

My family will be moving with me, it's a huge step for them especially for my 2.5 years old daughter she will be missing a lot . My wife will struggle at first since women are not allowed to drive there.

On the other side the pay is almost 300% what I'm making now icon_cheers.gif

I hope that I will be able to finish the last exam I have for 2010 which is 70-647 the good thing is that I can do the exam there in Khobar so no more trips to Lebanon icon_wink.gif

Well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do

Will Miss Syria and Damascus for sure

Congratulations on the new Job, Dont forget ( da3waa 7alwa odam el7aram) twsal belsalamah in sha Allah :)
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Congrats mate, glad things are working out for you. I remember your threads about having to go to a different city to do an exam, and once the centre was closed or something. Good luck on the new role.

Yea it's a good memory you have, it was really hard doing the long traveling to do exams. Now this is gone and I can do exams at the same city which is pretty cool however and I don't know why now I'm paying 80$ for each exam through Prometric while If I want to do the exam in KSA it's 125$

I never realized there are different prices for different countries icon_surprised.gif

Thanks a lot for your wishes
  • Options
    Tato500 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new Job, Dont forget ( da3waa 7alwa odam el7aram) twsal belsalamah in sha Allah :)

Thanks a lot and inshalla for sure I will icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Time is ticking, traveling tomorrow @noon
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best of luck on the move and the new job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »

+1. Be easy!
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »

Thanks a lot, I'm at Bahrain International airport now, gotta admit it's much more fun than Damascus airport :D
  • Options
    +1. Be easy!

Thanks ;)