Options

Linux

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

What is your favourite Linux distro and why?

I have just been playing with Ubuntu 10.10 and next going have a look at Mint 9

Eventually I will have see them all and will choose my favourite to use for a good while

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Anything Red Hat based I like for most things. For desktop use, Ubuntu has gotten really good in the past couple of years, but given I use Linux mostly for non-desktop use, CentOS is usually the way to go.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I used to favor Ubuntu for desktop and CentOS for server solutions, but now use mostly OpenSolaris :D. No, it's not yet another Linux distro and has Solaris underneath the usual package of GNU goodies. Meaning zones, TimeSlider, SMF service management all beneath GNOME's welcoming carpet.
    On the downside: OSol as a project is still not completely there for commodity software and some mundane tasks under Linux are a puzzle under OSol...
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I've been using Debian for about the past decade, but in the past couple years have started setting up CentOS boxes due to the software I use is RH-dependent. I much prefer Debian, but it's really just a matter of taste and what I'm used to.

This is all server, by the way. I haven't deployed a Linux desktop, even to my own systems, in years and have no intention of it.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have only setup a dozen or so Linux servers in my job. But I have found Ubuntu Server to have better community support and easier to use. But if you can afford it, RedHat has better commercial support.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    netpcdocnetpcdoc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have always liked SLES/SLED and Ubuntu since around Hardy Heron
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I switch between Ubuntu and CentOS but for some reason I fell in love with Ubuntu.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use mainly Debian, Ubuntu, Centos, And sometimes Mint
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I prefer Ubuntu, just don't like saying it out loud icon_rolleyes.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i like ubuntu but ive been known to use suse and freebsd (unix)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am regular user of Ubuntu, CentOS and OpenSuse. When I am deploying something at work I use CentOS. We have a few systems here that are used to mass copy USB drives that run OpenSuse. In my current position (at a multi-national) I have not come into contact with any Ubuntu systems.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have this theroy but it is only based on a year of linux experince.

That really for most people they are all much the same. I have mostly used Unbuntu, but dabbled in redhat and open sues.

And in all honest they all seem to do every thing i need quite well.

The only big difference I see is that Unbuntu has a good desktop version that is very helpfull for the people who are comming from windows and want an easy way in to linux with out jumping stright to the CLI.

Then you go through the stage of using this for this and that for that becuse they are set up for it... and then you find out you can do any thing with any one of them.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was using Ubuntu for a few years exclusively but I don't like the direction they are going so I switched to Mint. Currently running Mint 9.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I have this theroy but it is only based on a year of linux experince.

That really for most people they are all much the same. I have mostly used Unbuntu, but dabbled in redhat and open sues.

And in all honest they all seem to do every thing i need quite well.

The only big difference I see is that Unbuntu has a good desktop version that is very helpfull for the people who are comming from windows and want an easy way in to linux with out jumping stright to the CLI.

Then you go through the stage of using this for this and that for that becuse they are set up for it... and then you find out you can do any thing with any one of them.

You are pretty much right. Various distros are already set up to do certain things, saving you a ton of time in the process, but you can do any of those tasks with any distro. After that, it comes down to the package manager. Every distro has its quirks, like if it modifies a package from the vendor and relocates files to a non-standard location.

Generally, when someone says they're a Debian expert, it's about the equivalent of being an Audi expert vs a Mercedes expert--all does the same stuff, but you know it's quirks better than the other.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been using CrunchBang Linux for a while now. Its not very user friendly, but that is what I wanted out of it to force me to learn.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Mostly RedHat/CentOS at work; Ubuntu, Slackware, FreeBSD at home for various projects. Now that I finished my Masters I will consider looking into this again:

Linux From Scratch