What materials to study for Project+ 2003 Exam?

DKowalskiDKowalski Posts: 3Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I'm starting to prepare for PKO-002 exam (simple reason is the score 499 reqired to pass and more time to accomplish the test).
My question - if someone could help me - what books are the best to study?

For instance: is PMBOK 3th ed. enough to get material well understood to pass the exam etc. or maybe CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 by Kim Heldman and William Heldman (May 24, 2010) could be use but probably structure of the exam 002 is different thus that last mentioned book is not applicable... hm.. ???



Thanks for help in advance icon_wink.gif

Comments

  • chmorinchmorin Posts: 1,446Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    DKowalski wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm starting to prepare for PKO-002 exam (simple reason is the score 499 reqired to pass and more time to accomplish the test).
    My question - if someone could help me - what books are the best to study?

    For instance: is PMBOK 3th ed. enough to get material well understood to pass the exam etc. or maybe CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 by Kim Heldman and William Heldman (May 24, 2010) could be use but probably structure of the exam 002 is different thus that last mentioned book is not applicable... hm.. ???



    Thanks for help in advance icon_wink.gif

    I'm going to go on a limb here and say you should probably still go for the newer curriculum, unless you have already started to study for the 2003 curriculum. Give yourself some credit and pick the test that is best for your environment, and not the one with the lowest passing score ;).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • DKowalskiDKowalski Posts: 3Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Of course, this is a good advise, however there are some additional factors that induced me to decide on 2003 (i.e. this is my first exam cert. in english - so for 2003 I have more time in comparison to 2009, what can be crucial to complete the test...)

    (so maybe 2009 could be the next step in two years...)

    But coming back to the main issue question...?:) Do you have any suggestion related to materials (books, articles, test software...)?
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    DKowalski wrote: »
    Of course, this is a good advise, however there are some additional factors that induced me to decide on 2003 (i.e. this is my first exam cert. in english - so for 2003 I have more time in comparison to 2009, what can be crucial to complete the test...)

    (so maybe 2009 could be the next step in two years...)

    But coming back to the main issue question...?:) Do you have any suggestion related to materials (books, articles, test software...)?


    All of that notwithstanding, you could pick up the Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books and prepare for the PK0-002, if that is what you wish to do. However keep the following in mind:

    1) The PK0-002 was barely passed by folks who DO have a greater command of the English language than you do. We're talking 5-25 points. Most people who took the exam did NOT blow the exam out of the water. Keep that in mind.

    2) The PK0-003, while more questions and a higher pass rate, have very straightforward questions (much more than any practice material used to prepare for the PK0-003 (or PK0-002).

    With that in mind, as well as my own recent experiences with the exam (I was forced to take the 003), it may behoove you to take the later exam. The objectives between the two aren't that much more different...those extra questions (with proper study) won't kill you and you won't have to worry about it anymore. (If I spent more time studying, I'm sure I would have broken 800...794 is a score I'll have to live with though...and passing is 710).

    Just food for thought.
  • eMeSeMeS Posts: 1,875Member
    DKowalski wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm starting to prepare for PKO-002 exam (simple reason is the score 499 reqired to pass and more time to accomplish the test).
    My question - if someone could help me - what books are the best to study?

    For instance: is PMBOK 3th ed. enough to get material well understood to pass the exam etc. or maybe CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 by Kim Heldman and William Heldman (May 24, 2010) could be use but probably structure of the exam 002 is different thus that last mentioned book is not applicable... hm.. ???

    Reading the PMBOK is a huge mistake IMO. It's more of a reference guide.

    I'm surprised to not see this recommended more here when these types of requests come up...I recommend Rita Mulcahy's book for the PMP prep: Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Sixth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735185): Rita Mulcahy, PMP: Books

    The PMP exam and Project+ are very similar in terms of questions; the major difference being that the Project+ is a much shorter exam.

    I don't think that whether it's 002 or 003 is going to be a relevant difference...no one cares about CompTIA's Project+, and you're very unlikely to be asked whether you studied the 2003 or 2009 objectives....if it were me I'd probably go for the 003 just because it's newer and more in line with the latest update of the PMBOK.

    MS
  • DKowalskiDKowalski Posts: 3Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hm… I’m gonna think it all over, if that is true that in version 2009 questions are very straightforward, and not a big difference between them two as wel, thus I’m finding that as a big advantage…



    I will start with Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books and I’ll see how is IT going.

    Thank you guys for all that opinions and comment!
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    DKowalski wrote: »
    Hm… I’m gonna think it all over, if that is true that in version 2009 questions are very straightforward, and not a big difference between them two as wel, thus I’m finding that as a big advantage…



    I will start with Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books and I’ll see how is IT going.

    Thank you guys for all that opinions and comment!


    No problem--I seriously wouldn't make that up. That book is lined up with the 2009 Objectives of Project+ and the information is there to pass. It's just very, very dry but it's (barely) readable.

    If you have specific questions about what you read, post them, and anyone who's passed Project+ should help you out...as opposed to "will such and such be on the exam?" (I won't violate NDA... :) )
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    DKowalski wrote: »
    Of course, this is a good advise, however there are some additional factors that induced me to decide on 2003 (i.e. this is my first exam cert. in english - so for 2003 I have more time in comparison to 2009, what can be crucial to complete the test...)

    (so maybe 2009 could be the next step in two years...)

    But coming back to the main issue question...?:) Do you have any suggestion related to materials (books, articles, test software...)?


    Not really


    Go for the newer one.

    Thanks
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Posts: 495Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Not really


    Go for the newer one.

    Thanks

    How are your project+ studies coming?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
Sign In or Register to comment.