Options

3D Movies and Games

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have avoided 3D movies in the theater because I do not care for the glasses. I remembered 3D movies from a long time ago giving me head aches so I avoided them. Well 3D is the rage again and almost anything animated is 3D.

I broke the screen on my DLP Samsung and thought now was the time to get a new TV so I can hang it on the wall to prevent my son from breaking it even though his dad was the one that broke it.

I picked up a Panasonic 50 inch plasma, Best Buy had a deal where you get it at a sales price and they give you a Panasonic blu ray player and a pair of glasses. I get the TV delivered today and it comes with a pair of glasses so now I have three pairs of glasses. Cool I guess. I think all the high end televisions are 3D so its not like I paid extra for it.

So I start doing some basic calibration with a home theater dvd I have, basically contrast and brightness settings.

I remember "ooh Call of Duty Black Ops has 3D. So I power on the glasses after I turn on 3D mode in the game settings and the TV. I start some multi player up. I see the 3D effects, front sight post is in the TV, your rear site aperture is floating off the TV, the HUD (map, ammo,etc) is floating off the screen.

I think oh this is kind of cool. Until I tried to sprint and go after somebody to gun them down. I almost hurled. I got a super fast head ache like nothing before, I got woosy and dizzy. I stopped for a second and when I tried to shoot somebody they felt further away.

I did some Googling and I guess some people if they have eye issues will get sick with 3D so I guess i am one of them.

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't have a 3d tv (no plans to get one). For me personally I just don't like the idea of having to put some glasses on to enjoy the extra "benefits" of it. I got my 50" Panasonic almost 3 years ago (720p plasma). If I were to have to get another tv I'd go with another Panasonic plasma, this time at 1080p since the prices now are almost equal.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The wife got me an Nvidia 3d Kit (with ASUS monitor) for Xmas...which I ..er...tested a week or so ago :). I like it, the glasses take a little getting used to but they don't affect me badly. Then again I have been gaming heavily for, oh, 25 years or so and I think my retinas have been blasted into submission to the pixel gods by now. I used to have a similar setup back when they had this out for CRTs and the new technology is definitely easier on the eyes (since they essentially enforce 60Hz per eye now and of course removing the addition of the CRT draw flicker to the native LCD shutter flicker). My eyes did get tired after the first hour but I know I'll get used to it again.
    Personally I'll only use this on Single Player, where it is easier to take breaks if you need to. For most MP it's not worth it imho, besides the increased need for movement and reaction speed it does hit your FPS (on the PC anyway).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?