Options

Dell buys Compellent

RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
Confirmed: Dell Buys Storage Company Compellent For $820 Million

Don't know how many people have looked at Compellent before but this could be huge for Dell. Compellent is a very strong up-and-coming storage company.

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    we just bought a TON of storage from them. my boss really hates dell too so she wasnt too happy about it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    There goes the quality from Compellent... I have never seen a Dell computer last more than 2 years without something needing replaced....
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Dude, you're getting a dud!"
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as they leave them alone to do their own thing, it should work out for both of them. Dell adds the business and Compellent gets the benefit of having Dell's financial backing. As for Dell computers, the consumer class equipment leaves a bit to be desired but the servers have always been rock solid in my experience.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    There goes the quality from Compellent... I have never seen a Dell computer last more than 2 years without something needing replaced....

I've 6 Optiplexes (the quality Dells) that have been solid, minus 1 memory stick, that dell replaced with overnight shipping. Which they also use for needing OEM discs.

I'd use them more if the state didn't have a hard on for HP.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    WilliamK99 wrote: »

I have plenty of clients with Dell systems. Some of their models/brands are better for business use than others though. Servers tend to fair the best, but considering how may I have installed, overall I'd say (by way of quick calculation) that less than 5% have had problems. And just thinking back... Those where a problem existed tended to be systems the client purchasd at the retail level not something I ordered for them.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    As long as they leave them alone to do their own thing, it should work out for both of them. Dell adds the business and Compellent gets the benefit of having Dell's financial backing. As for Dell computers, the consumer class equipment leaves a bit to be desired but the servers have always been rock solid in my experience.

This. I've had few issues in the 10 years or so that I've dealt with Dell servers and storage.

However, their desktops and laptops, even the business class ones, are total steaming piles of dung, though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    We use stricly Dell in our school district now for desktops, laptops and servers. Used to run HP Servers, Apple desktops, dell desktops before I got there and we started standardizing.

2x Dell R710 with Dual Xeon and 64GB of Ram running vmware 4 and about 16 virtual machines now.
    Admin/Student Desktops - OpitPlex 745 before,more recently 780 and we just changed our standard to a 380 (same config but several hundred $$ cheaper.) Core 2 3.06 GHZ, 4 GB Ram and 5 year pro support warranty.

Student Laptops for eLearning schools - Dell Latitude e5400
    Staff Laptops - Dell Latitude e5500 (similar info as desktops)

We have not had any issues with them so far, they are all running rock solid. Any parts we get need they get shipped next day hardly any questions asked.

As for our network equipment though as soon as I got there we switched from a mixture of Dell/Cisco to HP/Cisco - mostly HP switches now. Love them.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They are going to integrate Compellent with the Equallogic gear, I hope. Most of these storage vendors don't really have anything unique that they offer but Equallogic and Compellent have a couple of small advantages that would be great if they were available in one product. It could be hard, but they own the IP and can make it happen.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro