Passed the A+ today!

bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know it's nothing to brag about, but it still feels good. Maybe I will try to get Network+ done before the end of the year...

220-701: 864
220-702: 881

I had plenty of real world experience coming into this, but...

For those just starting out I studied with Mike Meyers' "CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition" with some free practice tests and Google to supplement. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, eMAPT, CEH, CNDA, A+, Network+, Security+ Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bishun wrote: »
    Maybe it's nothing to brag about, but it still feels good. Maybe I will try to get Network+ before the end of the year...

    220-701: 864
    220-702: 881

    I had plenty of experience coming into this, but...

    For those just starting out I studied with Mike Meyers' "CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition" with practice tests and Google to supplement. icon_thumright.gif

    Congrats man!!!! I may be a little biased but I would grab the security+ instead if you have the time. It has DoD 8570 implications as well as rounds out your skill base. Net+ content, to some degree, is covered in the Sec+ curriculum but was made to be served as a refresher to the Net+ (aka it builds on the Net+ content).

    This book is the rave of the forum:

    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

    You can also get it for Kindle. This book (along with exp, and research) has been key to a lot of successes here.

  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice, and especially the book recommendation. That has an incredible rating for 85 reviews on Amazon.

    How much does the Security+ build upon base networking knowledge? Nothing on the Network+ is going to be earth shattering to me, but my real world experience with large networks is next to nothing.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, eMAPT, CEH, CNDA, A+, Network+, Security+ Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bishun wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, and especially the book recommendation. That has an incredible rating for 85 reviews on Amazon.

    How much does the Security+ build upon base networking knowledge? Nothing on the Network+ is going to be earth shattering to me, but my real world experience with large networks is next to nothing.

    A lot of the stuff you can wiki for now and get deeper into later. There's a network primer chapter towards the beginning of the book that will help you with the rest of the material but I'd say go back after everything's said and done and wiki/research the topics for a full understanding of the material.

  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bishun wrote: »
    I know it's nothing to brag about, but it still feels good. Maybe I will try to get Network+ done before the end of the year...

    220-701: 864
    220-702: 881

    I had plenty of real world experience coming into this, but...

    For those just starting out I studied with Mike Meyers' "CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition" with some free practice tests and Google to supplement. icon_thumright.gif


    Very nice scores!!!

    Should be a fine addition to your resume
  • moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I may ask how close are the questions on the CD that came with the Mike Meyers book to the actual exam?

    Thanks,
    Bob
  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    moparbob wrote: »
    If I may ask how close are the questions on the CD that came with the Mike Meyers book to the actual exam?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Let me just say that if you are scoring ~ 90% on his practice exams (which is the percentage he recommends you shoot for) then in my opinion you'd be ready to pass the exams... assuming of course you don't just have the answers memorized. It never hurts to diversify your learning material either.
  • netpcdocnetpcdoc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats those scores are definitely something to be proud of.
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Congrats, and yea as rogue2shadow said i would go for security+. It seems to be more respected in the field but if you are interested in networking, Net+ would get your foot in the door at some places.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and yea as rogue2shadow said i would go for security+. It seems to be more respected in the field but if you are interested in networking, Net+ would get your foot in the door at some places.

    Also agreed, however if you want to get into the nuts and bolts of networking aim towards Cisco. Net+ will show you concepts but Cisco will show you how to implement them. If your working on a degree for WGU and you need that cert for credit that is one thing but if you're not and already comfy with networking concepts and want hands on.... look into CCENT/CCNA. IMHO.

    By the way awesome scores and congrats.icon_thumright.gif
  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually going through with Network+, although I do wish I went for Security+. I'll be taking the Network+ on Dec. 30th.

    I'm in the process of enrolling at WGU (starting in Feb.), and going the B.S. IT: Security route, in reality the Security+ would have been a better option. However it's nice to ease my way into networking, and slap the cert on my resume for life, possibly opening up more job opportunities immediately.

    Experience is king, certs are paper. I have an interview at a small (Dial-up/DSL) ISP next week, this would be a great fit while going to school.
Sign In or Register to comment.