Options

Free from the help desk, born into the US Army

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, wanted to post a career update for everyone.

I have given notice at my current help desk job for I have enlisted into the US Army as a 25 November, also known as a Nodal Network Systems Operator-Maintainer.

I really want to thank all of the Tech Exam folks, like networker050184, wastedtime, Northbr1dge and especially SephStorm for all taking the time to answer all/any questions that I had about the US Army and what it has to offer.

This proves again that Tech Exams is a great community.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    HOOAH, good luck.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    enjoy your time. Get your skills and decide if you want to make it a career or not. Don't get caught up the overly patriotic BS, it will get you killed. I enjoyed my almost 10 years in. Have fun!!!!!!!
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

When do you report?

OCS?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

When do you report?

OCS?

Report for BCT in January. Sorry for being vague, however we have been instructed not to post too much details on where we are shipping to or where training is taking place at.

I've enlisted and have turned down OCS because I want to work with technology, and at this time not manage those who work with the technology.

Thanks again.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I've enlisted and have turned down OCS because I want to work with technology, and at this time not manage those who work with the technology.
    I think that's a smart choice. If you decide to become a lifer you can always go OCS. Just remember that the most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lieutenant with a map and compass (at least it was in the Infantry icon_lol.gif).

Either way you'll probably have more leadership experience and knowledge when you get out than most MBAs can dream about. Toss in a clearance, the job experience, and your MIS degree and your going to be sitting pretty when you get out (whenever that is).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even though the Officer pay is good, it's not worth it if you want hands on work experience. icon_sad.gif If I could get a enlisted job with officer pay I'm sure I'd be in the military.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, after you have been in awhile you may want to think about Warrant Officer. They are pretty much always looking for technically capable NCOs and better pay too. All the 250N/255N signal warrants I have seen are pretty much technical with technical management.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Congrats, after you have been in awhile you may want to think about Warrant Officer. They are pretty much always looking for technically capable NCOs and better pay too. All the 250N/255N signal warrants I have seen are pretty much technical with technical management.

+1

The Warrant is the way to go if you're going to stay in! I wish the Air Force still had Warrants when I was in... I would've definitely gone that route! I knew a guy who recently left the AF enlisted side to become an Army WO... he's loving life now. Good luck to you...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not go warrant officer? They are super technical, with a bit more pay and responsibility.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    +1

The Warrant is the way to go if you're going to stay in! I wish the Air Force still had Warrants when I was in... I would've definitely gone that route! I knew a guy who recently left the AF enlisted side to become an Army WO... he's loving life now. Good luck to you...

-Peanut

I was going to make the jump to CWO from the AF when I was in. The last step, the flight physical, I failed the depth perception test and I was disqualified. I was crushed! Especially considering I was already a rated pilot and I have passed that test at least 3 times before.
  • Options
    I didnt think that the AF has CWOs?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz!

Hope all goes well!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    HOOAH, good luck.

2nd that...Basic isn't anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be. Of course I went to Ft. Jackson and they don't call it "Relaxing Jackson" for nothing.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Having been in the Army (active duty for 5 years from 91 - 95) I can say there is way too much baggage that goes with a technical job in the military to make it worth it. All the 'soldier' training and responsibilities along with the frequent deployments (field training and otherwise) had me wishing I was back working in my shop. I had gone in with an AAS into the same field and never worked at the same technical level I had learned in college. With a Masters degree it almost seems a waste of talent, though if you play your cards right you may be able to float to the top. But realize that the top means management. It seemed that the higher someone got in rank the less actual work they actually did. Going Warrant Officer may be an option, but just be prepared for even more military training. I can safely say you are in for some major culture shock.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but dont a lot of the junior officers in the Air Force do a lot of technical work as well?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but dont a lot of the junior officers in the Air Force do a lot of technical work as well?

No, you will very rarely see O's doing any type of technical work outside making powerpoints.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    The reason I ask is that I worked with a guy who was an AF officer, who now works for Microsoft, who did a ton of technical work as an officer. I was under the impression that they did some work.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! Spend your time in wisely and you can come out set up for a great career. I did six and a half years as a 25N (well, it was originally 31F then changed to 25F then finally training for 25N) and have had zero trouble finding work since I've been out. A lot of people waste their time in the military and do not learn anything, don't be one of them. The vast majority of the guys that were 25Ns with me don't know the difference between a router and switch. It's too easy to let the "smart" guys run with the show and do nothing. You definitely get out of it what you put in! Make sure to take advantage of all the training you can get while you are in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The reason I ask is that I worked with a guy who was an AF officer, who now works for Microsoft, who did a ton of technical work as an officer. I was under the impression that they did some work.

From what I saw in the Army, some officers get some decent assignments for tech work. The vast majority will be shipped off as PLs as soon as they get out of school though. Then form there they become an XO or serve on staff. They usually don't get a shot at the technical positions until they hit Captain. A lot of the technical officer positions are filled by Warrant Officers. Unfortunately, most of them don't really know much either.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I was really considering taking a commission in the Army. Im prior service Navy, so I was eligible for a direct commission in the reserves. I was going to go Signals, but I decided against it. I didnt like that I would be gone for 6 months (my company would love that) plus with the high chance of being deployed often wasnt what I wanted.

To the OP. If you want to be technical, have you considered the AF?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I didnt think that the AF has CWOs?

They don't, I was going to leave the AF for the Army.
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To the OP. If you want to be technical, have you considered the AF?

I think the Marines would be a better choice than the Air Force. New Marine students at the Marine Corps Communications and Electronics School are required to at least pass A+ and the first two CCNA modules (I know op has this and way better qualifications). I think there might be some other certs (they recently changed the course as of last year). Also, as soon as you get to the fleet you get sent to various comm training classes on basically anything you choose and will pay for you to certify (I know all branches pay, but IDK about the quality of training you get to pass or if there is any).

Also, from my experience in the Marines is that they are better at letting you take college classes. My wife is in the Air Force and they won't let her take a college class until after a year she's been at her flight (which is bull btw). They want her to focus on finishing her Career Development Course, which is basically a package of info you take a test on that's not really worth anything to anyone.

As far as being technical, Marine enlisted focus daily on training on building different network infrastructure setups. If the person also wants to get more into planning network designs, usually a warrant officer designs a network and sets up deployment packages. The Air Force comm guys I've met always mention to me that they wish they were able to get more training, but they frequently get denied.

Another thing, I've always heard that Air Force bases were better, but every Air Force base I've been to pretty much blows as far as on base amenities and activities(Only been to Lackland, Nellis, and Vandenberg). Nellis and Vandenberg are located in cool places, but they don't really have a good enlisted club or any good restraunts for that matter (what's with the AF and Charlies Subs!!!!). However, the Air Force does have a little better on base housing and 'dorms' aka barracks.

As a side note, no matter what branch a person chooses it's the best branch because that person is serving their country and providing a foundation for their future.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Why not go warrant officer? They are super technical, with a bit more pay and responsibility.

It's always HIGHLY recommended that anyone wanting to go WO get their feet wet in Army life first.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    It's always HIGHLY recommended that anyone wanting to go WO get their feet wet in Army life first.

Yep, it is pretty much a requirement unless you are going for flight warrant.

On the subject of Air Force Officers doing technical stuff, I would say it depends. I have seen some technical officers and other not. I don't think I could give you a accurate percentage on tech vs non-tech but just saying.

On the subject of going to be a Marine to get a technical job I would say they are far and few between. A lot of the jobs/MOS/rates among the different services are doing similar or the same thing due to DoD 8570. Remember as a Marine you are a Rifleman first not that the army won't have you doing a lot of "soldiering" stuff.

As far as what the job is going to be like. It will heavily depend on the unit/type of unit and where you are. In some cases deployment may be a good thing. There is a ton of technical stuff you could potentially be doing down range unlike state side with all of the civilian contractors. As a 25N you are in the core MOS for working with the Joint Network Node (JNN) equipment. If that MOS was created before I re-classed I may have been temped to go for that one.

Good luck.