Flash The Switch -__-

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Soo tonight I have been trying to figure out how to do something I am sure most of yall find rather simple ( TFTP flash upgrade my 2950 switch )

I have looked on YouTube/Google for info on how to TFTP a switch, but 99.9% of the material I found was for routers, and if I did find something for a switch it was one of those classic broad tutorials that assume you know something.

Per what I did watch about Flash upgrading a router I am guessing I need to configure an IP address for my switch. The only IP Address that I know or at least remember how to configure on my switch is the VLAN 1 default Int. When I try and configure a static IP on one of the FA/Ints I get an error stating I cannot assign a IP Address to a layer 2 interface, which makes perfect sense.

Nonetheless, I can telnet into the switch, and I can ping the switch from my laptop, but on the other hand the switch cannot ping my laptop/TFTP server.

I am missing something probably pretty simple, but I just cannot put a finger on it. A router doing TFTP looks simple for I can actually assign and IP address to the Int.

I am kind of jumping the gun on this in my studies, but I need to get my lab upgraded so I do not limit myself on features, for I hit my first wall other night with my 2950 not being able to do SSH.

- Thanks in advanced yO.
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    but on the other hand the switch cannot ping my laptop/TFTP server.
    Usually that's a PC firewall issue.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Usually that's a PC firewall issue.

I allowed TFTP on my firewall.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you allow ICMP for the pings?

If you're having a TFTP issue, which TFTP server are you using? I think it was Solarwinds TFTP server on Windows that will let you upload by default, but you have to configure the security settings to allow downloads. Different TFTP server may have different security options that need to be set or configured.

Is the TFTP server on your laptop? Or is it on a different PC and/or network?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you allow ICMP for the pings?

If you're having a TFTP issue, which TFTP server are you using? I think it was Solarwinds TFTP server on Windows that will let you upload by default, but you have to configure the security settings to allow downloads. Different TFTP server may have different security options that need to be set or configured.

Is the TFTP server on your laptop? Or is it on a different PC and/or network?

Did not allow ICMP, but I think something else is still wrong because when I did try and do a copy I recieved a time out.

TFTP server is on the laptop, and I am using the one from Solarwinds
    I turned the firewall off.. and now I can atleast do a ping. glad it was my MS skills slacking here and not my small bit of Cisco skills.. lol maybe it was my common sense skills LOL. I will try TFTP again and see what happens.
    It was the firewall.. Gee whizz seems like with CISCO I always get caught of with the most simple fixes/problems.

Thanks man!