Options

Rural broadband help

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Heres the situation, I have searched over every WISP, 4G, cable, dsl, I can think of where I live there is nothing, (that I have found) I get sporadic 3G verizon, spikes to three bars then down to none, thinking of a cellular booster, but unsure which to try don't waste ur time saying move, I know thats the best option, but I dunno if I can right now.

Checked clear, verizon, att, sprint, I have Hughesnet currently and it sucks. I am almost to the point of saying to hell with it and getting a T1. There is a WISP that I happen to be two miles outside their ring.

At the end of my rope with this, can anyone think of anything I am missing?

The things I need the most are VPN to work to run RDP to servers. on top of that it would be nice to play call of duty online.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Heres the situation, I have searched over every WISP, 4G, cable, dsl, I can think of where I live there is nothing, (that I have found) I get sporadic 3G verizon, spikes to three bars then down to none, thinking of a cellular booster, but unsure which to try don't waste ur time saying move, I know thats the best option, but I dunno if I can right now.

Checked clear, verizon, att, sprint, I have Hughesnet currently and it sucks. I am almost to the point of saying to hell with it and getting a T1. There is a WISP that I happen to be two miles outside their ring.

At the end of my rope with this, can anyone think of anything I am missing?

The things I need the most are VPN to work to run RDP to servers. on top of that it would be nice to play call of duty online.

I thought the few cents I pay on my cell bill not to mention my tax dollars were supposed to take care your rural broadband needs. I want my money back!

LOL...seriously though, T1s are dirt cheap now but is that really the only way folks out in the schticks can get basic Internet? Dial-up has stopped being the answer a decade or so ago.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea you need your money back, whats happening is the goverment is giving grants to ISP's and then they are making the determination of where to provide coverage, It seems like every new WISP decideds they want to paper the major metropolitan areas, where they get to compete with 100 other ISP's instead of trying to focus on completly untapped markets where they might turn smaller profits, but they will have more of a sure thing.

I have heard that they are launching something called viasat1 that will have unlimited capacity.

anyone have any idea where I can get the cheapest T1 at?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Move. Next time you move check out the cabling options for your property.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    If it was basic and for 1 person, I would say a cellphone data plan + tethering (which is like $15/mo). Or for a little more money, get a broadband anywhere card/USB stick ($50ish a month).

Only other option is a satellite provider.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm almost in your situation but at least I have DSL (3G) which isn't that great but better than satellite. Getting T1 your big expense would be the initial expense and it could be pretty high.
    It may prove cheaper to move than to get a T1 line.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are just outside of the WISP's area, is that with their normal antennas, or with some of their boosters? I used to work for a WISP years ago, and we had a few customers who were on the fringe. Some had to have a parabolic dish to use, others used what were called beehives, that slipped over the Motorola antennas to increase their signal.

Another work-around option, is to find someone who is in their range, and that you can also see. Signal gets beamed to party A, who has two antennas. One receive antenna and the other is aimed at your location. We had to do this for a few customers as well.