Options

Dell Certification???'s

I just was contracted to start a position next week doing some basic PC repair and troubleshooting, the requirements were that I had to be A+ (I am) and Dell certified (I'm not). The company is going to pay for me to take the test on monday, so I was wondering if anybody has taken it? Is it hard, is it basically like A+? The whole things seems odd to me that they pay for me to get it and pay me while I'm taking the exam and the job only lasts for 3-4 days! But hey, I'll take a free cert (hopefully I can pass it)!. If any body knows specific objective to study or look up, I would appreciate if you let me know.

thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    I've not taken it before, but I'm sure you can hit Dell's Web site to find out more about the Dell Certified Systems Expert (DCSE) certifications.

And if a company has faith in you, they'll get you certified so that the next time they get a big contract, they'll have another Dell-certified tech they can call upon. ;)

Best of luck!
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are doing entry level work on Dell pcs then the cert will be fairly easy. At my job we had to be dell certified to do break/fix on the pcs to be covered under warranty. The test was an online test where it was practically open book or realistically open internet. It's just testing you in how resourceful you can be by searching out answers on the dell website. Don't worry too much about it, it should be pretty easy.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hell at that rate i should do it, i worked there for a year a long time ago icon_eek.gif

i'm really going to think about it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm not sure which exam you're taking, but to become a fully certified DCSE, there are over 15 tests, and you must continue to pass all new exams as they are released.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Thanks for the replies, sounds like it should be pretty easy.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If you study, they're easy enough. Just don't take them for granted. There's just too many for me to be fully qualified, plus I don't do any Dell work yet.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Well, I never even got a chance to take the actual exam, I took a practice test per the contracting company and passed that then I tried to take the actual emam and billing info came up and it was already supposed to be taken care of. So while they were sorting that out the job-site company called and there tech dept couldn't get an image made properly or to the specs so they said that they were going to do the job themselves when they get the image done. Although, the contracting company that originally hired me says they want me in on Monday for longer contract and I am sure I will be required to test then. At least I got paid for today!
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I think the Dell certs sound worthless. Its like graduating from a non accredited school. Invest time in something worth while. MCSE/CCNP
  • Options
    Why would I pass up even a Dell cert if it is free? Actually they are paying me to take it.
  • Options
    rae4565rae4565 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm Dell Certified and the test is basically open book/website...the questions are extremely straight forward (how do you remove the memory for a Dell Latitude xxx laptop?) and should be easy for anyone with a high school education. I'm currently pursuing my Network+ and CCNA and I don't think the Dell Cert could hold any weight against either of these.