Options

CCENT/CCNA Beginner Lab Setup HELP!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CollegeBoiCollegeBoi Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Look on the right side of the page. Under the screenshot, then under the Ordering box, there's a Support box, and within that box theres a link labeled "Download Software"

I was able to find V2.5 of SDM as a download through google searches. I think they may gave removed the software from the Cisco site as it is not listed when you click on the download software link.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    CollegeBoi wrote: »
    I was able to find V2.5 of SDM as a download through google searches. I think they may gave removed the software from the Cisco site as it is not listed when you click on the download software link.

I saw something on another forum suggesting that Cisco is no longer supporting SDM and is migrating to CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional)!

This can be good news in some sense as it is rumored that they no longer test SDM for CCNA.

The bad news is ... like SDM, CCP is only supported on certain platforms, ie, 28**. CCP is not supported on the 17**, 26**, 26**XM, or the 2900/3500 series switches.

Given the recent news, looks like I will be doing a hardware upgrade (at least in part) after I re-test.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw something on another forum suggesting that Cisco is no longer supporting SDM and is migrating to CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional)!

This can be good news in some sense as it is rumored that they no longer test SDM for CCNA.

The bad news is ... like SDM, CCP is only supported on certain platforms, ie, 28**. CCP is not supported on the 17**, 26**, 26**XM, or the 2900/3500 series switches.

Given the recent news, looks like I will be doing a hardware upgrade (at least in part) after I re-test.

I won't comment on that rumor, but instead ask if the rumor mill has anything to say in regards to SDM and the CCNA Security? icon_mrgreen.gif

It also doesn't appear that CCP has a simulator like SDM does, so hopefully it works well in GNS3.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    I won't comment on that rumor, QUOTE]

As the shepherds of old would say ...

"Baaaaaaaad!"icon_lol.gif
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bring this thread back up, I just didn't want to start another one and this one is very good. I took the advice of this thread and have compiled a list of stuff below. Just would like an opinion if the price seems acceptable. These are buy it now prices as I'm not huge into squatting and bidding all that much.

3 2950 switches
    1 NM-4A/s
    3 2610 routers (32MB-8MB)
    1 1721 router (64/32)
    2 wic-2A/s
    1 network rack (12 devices)

It comes out to about $477. Is that about in the right range or should I duke it out for deals? Again sorry for bringing this back up.

Forgot to mention that includes shipping.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    Based on a quick head estimate, that price sounds pretty good for that gear. Have you considered skipping the 2600's and looking at the 2600XM's? They'll be more useful beyond the CCNA. And the 2600's that you're looking at are short on memory and flash which may cause you some headache down the line.
  • Options
    Based on a quick head estimate, that price sounds pretty good for that gear. Have you considered skipping the 2600's and looking at the 2600XM's? They'll be more useful beyond the CCNA. And the 2600's that you're looking at are short on memory and flash which may cause you some headache down the line.

Blah I was afraid of that. I tried to skimp on the lower memory because I saw some advertised with the 12.3 at that amount and figured it would be sufficient. I looked a little at the 2600xm's but the average price seems to be about $50-$100 more a piece which at 3 would be a noticible difference in price. I can deal with upgrading memory no problem if I had to. I'm open to any adjustments to the list you may think would be beneficial. I could always drop the rack and maybe put $100 more into my budget, $600 is about the ceiling though (not including cables). I usually put my tax returns into a yearly upgrade or rebuild but my priorities have changed and I'd like to put half into a kit for school and half towards the principal on my student loans.

I don't wannt to drag this thread out if you guys aren't open to it but I'm definitly open to suggestions.

Here are some of my remaining Network related classes if it helps form a better picture:

Advanced Networking Technology

Network Design & Documentation

Network Cabling

CISCO Networking

CISCO Routers

CISCO Switches

CISCO WAN

Windows Server

Windows Directory Server

Linux System Administration

Advanced Linux System Administration

Network+ Certification

Network Security

Telecommunications Services
  • Options
    Blah I was afraid of that. I tried to skimp on the lower memory because I saw some advertised with the 12.3 at that amount and figured it would be sufficient. I looked a little at the 2600xm's but the average price seems to be about $50-$100 more a piece which at 3 would be a noticible difference in price.

I completely understand about being on a budget, I have a few boat anchors laying around because it was all I could afford at the time. The gear you're looking at should be sufficient for the CCNA, but beyond that, the 2600's will be lacking, especially with the low memory.

And there's always GNS3 if you run into a topic or two that you can't do on the real gear.
    I don't wannt to drag this thread out if you guys aren't open to it but I'm definitly open to suggestions.

That's what we're here for.
  • Options
    I completely understand about being on a budget, I have a few boat anchors laying around because it was all I could afford at the time. The gear you're looking at should be sufficient for the CCNA, but beyond that, the 2600's will be lacking, especially with the low memory.

And there's always GNS3 if you run into a topic or two that you can't do on the real gear.

That's what we're here for.

Ok wait a second, are these suitable? Cisco 2600XM Multiservice Platform Router, Model 2610XM

They advertise two WAN ports, could I drop the wics if that is the case?

Edit: Ok they advertise 2 WAN slots...I'm assuming that's for the additions?
  • Options
    CollegeBoiCollegeBoi Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok wait a second, are these suitable? Cisco 2600XM Multiservice Platform Router, Model 2610XM

They advertise two WAN ports, could I drop the wics if that is the case?

Edit: Ok they advertise 2 WAN slots...I'm assuming that's for the additions?

Your right. I think you beat me to ordering the two 2600XM that CandK had left. LOL I think I can wait a bait just getting my feet wet with this CCENT stuff.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your right. I think you beat me to ordering the two 2600XM that CandK had left. LOL I think I can wait a bait just getting my feet wet with this CCENT stuff.

There's a 2620xm on ebay with 96D/32F for $69 with free shipping

CISCO2620XM CISCO 2620XM Router 1 FE 96/32MB AC PS - eBay (item 170591962246 end time Jan-24-11 11:30:51 PST)

Alternatively,

2610xm 128D/32F [Buy it Now][$78-79]

CISCO 2610XM Router 128D/32F 2610 XM CISCO2610XM Qty - eBay (item 390278537428 end time Feb-06-11 07:51:45 PST)

CISCO2610XM Cisco 2610 XM Router 1 FE 128/32MB CCNA AC - eBay (item 170592320898 end time Jan-28-11 07:56:40 PST)

2620xm 128D/48F [Buy it Now][$77+$15]
    Cisco 2620XM Router Call Manager Express CME 4.1 SDM - eBay (item 120671126700 end time Jan-22-11 11:47:10 PST)

2650xm 128D/48F [Buy it Now][$81+$15]
    Cisco 2650XM Router Call Manager Express CME 4.1 SDM - eBay (item 120671127169 end time Jan-22-11 11:48:12 PST)

128MB ram sticks for those XMs cost around $8-10
  • Options

I didn't beat you to anything, I'm just looking right now. You can grab em' if you need them, you are farther than me anyways and could probably use them more:)

Thanks for those links impz, sometimes I guess it just takes a fresh pair of eyes...or some patience on my particon_redface.gif

Edit: I put in an offer on three 2620xm's, we'll see what happens.

Ok, I got the best offer on the routers (2620xm's, 128d/32f) paid like $80 a piece for them with shipping. Got everythig else except the switches which I'm waiting for a reply on my best offer. Went about $20 over budget but was able to get the rack at least. Thanks for the extra help guys, although nobody will read this because I don't wanna be annoying and bump the thread again.
  • Options
    Ok, so I'm being annoying and bringing this back up. I've scoured around trying to decipher the amount of cabling to go with but I'm stuck I guess. I think I'm good on the straight through and crossover cables but it's the other cabling that is confusing me now. Should I just wait for the equipmment to arrive and try and figure it out?
  • Options
    Cool, thanks seekrit.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Okay looks like everything here is settled. I waited bc I didn't want to thread jack. But total noob question here..

I would like to buy just one piece of cisco hardware, enough to aid me thru my CCENT studies. Should I buy a switch or router? What model?

If one piece of hardware would be worthless, then also let me know, so I should get one router and one switch?

I don't want anything overkill and don't want to spend alot..

I heard I could get by with just using sims like Packet Tracer. I also just started my Cisco Netacad class, but we would have to be in groups and share the hardware. Plus it doesnt seem like we will be doing anything hardcore with the actual hardware during the first part of the course.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would guess, if you're going to look at what single piece of hardware would serve the best, I'd say a 2950 switch. Simply because you can get by with using dynamips/gns3 to emulate your routers.

I wouldn't suggest it though. A 2nd 2950 switch lets you see STP in action (barely) which is covered in ICND2. A 3rd lets you really see how it works. (Of course if you're going beyond CCNA and have the budget, waiting to get a 3550 for your 3rd is another option).

On the router side, assuming you don't want to simulate/emulate everything, a 2610 or 2 is pretty cheap. Don't forget the WICs though. I've heard the T1's(?) are cheap, but I just got a pair of WIC-1T's for my WAN interfaces. If you're going beyond CCNA, at least one should be a 2610XM series.

My current setup is 3 2950's, 2 2610's and a 2610XM. I still use GNS3 most of the time though, as it's just easier/more convenient.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bring this thread back up, I just didn't want to start another one and this one is very good. I took the advice of this thread and have compiled a list of stuff below. Just would like an opinion if the price seems acceptable. These are buy it now prices as I'm not huge into squatting and bidding all that much.

3 2950 switches
    1 NM-4A/s
    3 2610 routers (32MB-8MB)
    1 1721 router (64/32)
    2 wic-2A/s
    1 network rack (12 devices)

It comes out to about $477. Is that about in the right range or should I duke it out for deals? Again sorry for bringing this back up.

Forgot to mention that includes shipping.

Looking into building a home lab for CCENT preparation as well. Is it okay to plug those devices in 1 surge suppressor? Im afraid that I might cause a short in the house, lol.

Based on reading and suggestions from this forum, I plan on obtaining the following devices:

3 - 2950
    2 - 2610 64/16
    1 - 2610XM
    1 - NM-4A/S
    1 - WIC-2A/S
    1 - Cisco DB60 to V.35 Cable, CAB-V35MT
    1 - Cisco Smart Serial to V.35 Cable, CAB-SS-V35MT

Those cables were suggested during check-out, not sure if I need it. The last cisco items I configured (with the help of a cut-sheet) was on a TDC/ICAP where everything was included in the box. It looks like putting this home lab together will absolutely help me fully understand networking.

Thank you, all.

• Options
    518 wrote: »
    Looking into building a home lab for CCENT preparation as well. Is it okay to plug those devices in 1 surge suppressor? Im afraid that I might cause a short in the house, lol.

Based on reading and suggestions from this forum, I plan on obtaining the following devices:

3 - 2950
    2 - 2610 64/16
    1 - 2610XM
    1 - NM-4A/S
    1 - WIC-2A/S
    1 - Cisco DB60 to V.35 Cable, CAB-V35MT
    1 - Cisco Smart Serial to V.35 Cable, CAB-SS-V35MT

Those cables were suggested during check-out, not sure if I need it. The last cisco items I configured (with the help of a cut-sheet) was on a TDC/ICAP where everything was included in the box. It looks like putting this home lab together will absolutely help me fully understand networking.

Thank you, all.

It shouldn't be a problem, I have two 6 plug strips, both fully populated and plugged into the same circuit.

First, you'll want a second WIC-2T (or a pair of WIC-1T's). The NM-4AS in one router, and a WIC-2T in each of the others. Each router should have serial ports. For cables, if you're using the WIC-2T's, you'll want a couple of these and one of these. Shop around though, you'll find better deals elsewhere. Monoprice has some cheap, but they don't carry everything.

If you go with the WIC-1T's, the cabling can be simpler, you can use these for everything. The WIC-2T unfortunately has different plugs than the NM-4AS, so you have to have a few different cables on hand.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be a problem, I have two 6 plug strips, both fully populated and plugged into the same circuit.

First, you'll want a second WIC-2T (or a pair of WIC-1T's). The NM-4AS in one router, and a WIC-2T in each of the others. Each router should have serial ports. For cables, if you're using the WIC-2T's, you'll want a couple of these and one of these. Shop around though, you'll find better deals elsewhere. Monoprice has some cheap, but they don't carry everything.

If you go with the WIC-1T's, the cabling can be simpler, you can use these for everything. The WIC-2T unfortunately has different plugs than the NM-4AS, so you have to have a few different cables on hand.

Thank you, sir! I'll go ahead and use a pair of WIC-1T to keep it simple.

Also, as far as using a manual/guide connecting these devices, is that what we call CCNA lab manual?!
  • Options
    So, after careful consideration, it seems like the devices I listed above will cost me around $716 from CandK [including the 2509 access server that retails for $159].

BTW, the above price doesnt even include cables and accessories.

Then, I found this:

Advanced Cisco CCNA/Starter CCNP Lab Kit

Advanced CCNA/Starter CCNP Kit: $549
    Cisco 2509 access server: $159
    Octal cable: $25

All for $733 [this is what I call RTR if you are into RC cars, and HTIB for audioheads] lol

[I didnt want to start yet another thread for the same inquiry]

Thanks.
  • Options
    So, after careful consideration, it seems like the devices I listed above will cost me around $716 from CandK [including the 2509 access server that retails for $159].

BTW, the above price doesnt even include cables and accessories.

Then, I found this:

Advanced Cisco CCNA/Starter CCNP Lab Kit

Advanced CCNA/Starter CCNP Kit: $549
    Cisco 2509 access server: $159
    Octal cable: $25

All for $733 [this is what I call RTR if you are into RC cars, and HTIB for audioheads] lol

[I didnt want to start yet another thread for the same inquiry]

Thanks.

We generally recommend you stay away from those prebuilt starter kits. They're over-priced and under-powered. I can find you an identical kit pieced together from ebay for about $250. Besides the cost savings, researching the different models, IOS versions, RAM and flash requirements, etc. is a big part of the learning process.
  • Options
    We generally recommend you stay away from those prebuilt starter kits. They're over-priced and under-powered. I can find you an identical kit pieced together from ebay for about $250. Besides the cost savings, researching the different models, IOS versions, RAM and flash requirements, etc. is a big part of the learning process.

whoa! is that so? then I'm back to the drawing board...

thanks!
  • Options
    back for more with the following items in mind:

2950 switch, $63 (3) [eBay]
    2620xm router $89 [eBay]
    NM-4A/S $33 [eBay]
    2610 router w/ WIC-1T (2) $140 for both [eBay]
    2509 AS w/ octal cable $189 [cablesandkits]

Came out as $640 with 90-day warranty and free shipping. I just realized that certificationkits charge $110 for shipping and only 30-day warranty.

I would have been within my $500 budget, but the access server killed it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199

2620xm router $89 [eBay]
    NM-4A/S $33 [eBay]

Came out as $640 with 90-day warranty and free shipping. I just realized that certificationkits charge $110 for shipping and only 30-day warranty.

I would have been within my $500 budget, but the access server killed it icon_sad.gif

Don't forget serial cables! Honestly, I would go without the AS for now and get a rack. For your CCENT you won't really be doing any labbing with multiple toplogies. Once you get to ICND2 then maybe I would go for it. Plus you'll probably have some extra cash by then.

That's a pretty good lab in my opinion, although I would probably try to get another XM router and just 1 2610. One of my favorite sellers on ebay is "tnetusa". Free shipping on everything and you can make offers. Check it out.
  • Options

2620xm router $89 [eBay]
    NM-4A/S $33 [eBay]

You'll need one of those 2610's to host that NM-4A/S, but you can consider a pair of 1760's or 1721's rather than the 2620XM and the second 2610. You'll save a few bucks if you go that direction, and overall have a better setup.

And keep shopping. If you're patient, you'll be able to find better prices on eBay.
  • Options
    okplaya, thanks for headsup on that eBay seller. I'll keep an eye on the items it sell. I'm actually looking at the eBay seller fati_zee.

I'm trying to setup a lab that I can use for up to CCNP, just in case. If I dont ever persue CCNP, the cost of this lab and knowledge gained from it is still worth than my modded Tippmann X7 Phenom marker. [I just now realized that the money I spent for my X7 and my gear is a complete waste vs my cisco home lab]

1760 Router (2) $96
    2620xm router $89
    2950 switch (3)$189
    2509 AS and cable $189
    NM-4A/S card $33
    WIC-1T card (2) $40
    TOTAL: $636

For $4 less [1760 in liue of 2950s], is this really a better setup than above? For some reason, I'm under the impression that the higher the model #, the better it might be. Yes, I'm a complete no0b. icon_lol.gif

I must have the 2509 so I can access my lab outside my home. icon_wink.gif

I'm assuming I can still use one type of cable for this setup? [DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cable - 3FT as suggested by Alan]

I also stopped playing Call of Duty: Black Ops since Monday. My laptop is connected to the LCD that I use for gaming. In it, I started watching Chris Bryant's CCNA boot-camp and it's hooked up to my X-Rocker chair. icon_lol.gif

Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle books have arrived today, too.

This CCNA is long overdue for my career.

ICND1 scheduled for June 21st.

Much appreciation to all of you.
  • Options
    If you go with the WIC-1T's, the cabling can be simpler, you can use these for everything.

when you said I can use that cable for everything, does that include the physical connection during frame relay lab? because for some reason, I cannot make this frame-relay lab to work. I followed both Chris Bryant's video and the freeccnaworkbook.com, but no luck. During PPP lab, R1 and R2 can communicate. Once I changed both to encap frame-relay, line protocol went down.

Here's the freeccnaworkbook steps/results that I followed:

R1
    interface Serial0/0
    ip address 10.10.21.1 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation frame-relay
    clock rate 56000
    no dce-terminal-timing-enable
    frame-relay interface-dlci 122

R2
    interface Serial0/0
    ip address 10.10.21.2 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation frame-relay
    no fair-queue
    frame-relay interface-dlci 221

sh frame-relay pvc 122 and sh frame-relay 221 yields a blank result

R1 s0/0 is connected physically to R2 s0/0 using CISCO HD60 DTE/DCE Cables

Am I suppose to use a different cable and make another physical connection somewhere??

Chris Bryant's hub and spoke, just exactly how many physical connections are there? I was watching his CCNA boot-camp on-demand video, but he never mentioned any physical connections.

Thanks.
  • Options
    R1

sh int s0/0

Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is down
    Hardware is CD2430 in sync mode
    Internet address is 10.10.21.1/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 128 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    LMI enq sent 190, LMI stat recvd 0, LMI upd recvd 0, DTE LMI down
    LMI enq recvd 214, LMI stat sent 0, LMI upd sent 0
    LMI DLCI 1023 LMI type is CISCO frame relay DTE
    FR SVC disabled, LAPF state down
    Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 0/0, interface broadcasts 0
    Last input 00:00:01, output 00:00:09, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:33:06
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/1/32 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 96 kilobits/sec
    5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    250 packets input, 4560 bytes, 0 no buffer

R2

sh int s0/0
    Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is down
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    Internet address is 10.10.21.2/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback not set