Options

What's the best CCNA textbook?

supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
What's the best CCNA textbook?

My prior knowledge includes 2 MCPs (70-290 + 70-270) and a Security+. Also, a few years ago I did Cisco Discovery 1 and Cisco Exploration 1.

Which textbook should I use to study for my CCENT and subsequently my CCNA?

CCNA, 4/12/10, 88 pages
CCNA Complete Guide 2nd Edition, 21/09/10, 334 pages
CCNA for Dummies, 12/4/10, 1008 pages
CCNA 640-802 Exam Certification Library: Simulator Edition, 9/1/10, 1400 pages
CCNA Simplified, 1/12/09, 598 pages
Cisco CCNA/CCENT Exam Preparation Kit, 17/7/09, 848 pages
CCNA Certification Kit: Exam 640-802, 3/2/09, 1008 pages
31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam, 19/11/08, 432 pages
CCNA Exam Cram, 8/1/08, 552 pages
CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, 4/9/07, 1475 pages
CCNA Study Guide [Sybex], 1/9/07, 1008 pages

I'd like to achieve this certification ASAP, before I go back to my official studies, in two months. Therefore the shorter the book, the better.

However, at the same time, I don't want to read/study a textbook so small that I won't learn enough for the cert!

Thus can you recommend a textbook I can use to study for the CCENT and ICND2?

icon_study.gif

Thanks

supe

BTW: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition is available at my bookshop, for a cheaper price than buying them boxed with the ICND2 textbook. Which means I can buy this for ICND1 and something else for ICND2.

Comments

• Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Get the cisco press box set and maybe the Sybex CCNA book. I used the cisco press set and failed the first time by not much. I got the Sybex book and studied that for a few weeks and then passed. While I can't give away exam info I think it's fair to say both books have some info in them the other doesn't that you may need for the test.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Get the cisco press box set and maybe the Sybex CCNA book. I used the cisco press set and failed the first time by not much. I got the Sybex book and studied that for a few weeks and then passed. While I can't give away exam info I think it's fair to say both books have some info in them the other doesn't that you may need for the test.

Isn't there one authoritative book that would enable you to pass? What about Odom's book? Doubt the OP wants to read two books covering the same material. One book is cheaper, too!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Well most people I think would say the cisco press 2 book set by Odom is the single best source for the exams but having both Sybex and Cisco press made the difference for me.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    CCNA Study guide by Todd Lammle contains all you need. I think its published by Sybex.

edited to add: not including many hours on your lab or decent simulator.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The best book depends on your existing knowledge and skills.

The book(s) that lays the best foundation and does the most complete job of covering the material is The Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition (you can also by the individual ICND1 and ICND2 books).

If you're planning on making Cisco a carrer, then the time you spend reading Odom now is the time (and money) you save retaking CCNPs in the future.

Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition is enough for someone who already has Cisco experience and just need a refresher of the topics. It's also probably the best book for noobs when it comes to subnetting -- and it's a fun read.

Rather than reading one book over (and over and over), a lot of TE members will suggest using both of the books to get the maximum coverage (and repetition) of the exam topics. And the different perspective and lab work may help you understand the exam topics better when you see them thorough different eyes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Hi

I can recommend the CCNA Simplified very good book. Written in simple english unlike some IT books. Its not all theory the back half of the book has alot of labs in there to with full step by steps and network diagrams.

There is a site but I will not be able to mention it here.

Kevin
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Options
    supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ehnde: Exactly, I can't read two textbooks - I'm pressed for time!

Billyr: Thanks for the recommendation

mikej412: Interesting perspective. I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind.

Kevin: The size of the book is pretty small, :D

A little skeptical though, his website looks like an infomercial and the Amazon page has a very dismissive review, showing that the other reviewers are plants.

Can someone else please confirm that "CCNA Simplified" is worth getting?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    best text book is the CCNA flash cards, a cisco router and the cisco documentation on there site. :)

With out some hands on you will struggle passing both in jsut two months from reading the books. From what I remember the books guide you on what topics you need to understand, more than covering them all in fine detail.

For examle most books will explain what subnetting is, but you wont pass with out having done it and understaning it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.