Options

remote administration

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
ive gotten to the point i do almost if not all my server work remotely (vnp/remote desktop)

how ever im still doing it from a workstation i was wondering what other people use, ive heard of ipads and android tabs doing well, but for the cost would i be better off getting a new netbook and use it for all that stuffs.

i just wanted to see what other people are using for remote work
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm almost certain you can initiate a remote desktop session with an iPhone/iPod touchso I'd guess you could do the same with an iPad. But in all honesty why would you do that? You still would need a keyboard/mouse (unless iOS somehow lets you control the mouse pointer).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I'm almost certain you can initiate a remote desktop session with an iPhone/iPod touchso I'd guess you could do the same with an iPad. But in all honesty why would you do that? You still would need a keyboard/mouse (unless iOS somehow lets you control the mouse pointer).

I have an iPad and can use if for this, but it's very cumbersome. I'd only use an iPad in a pinch. Basically, once the on-screen keyboard pops up, you've lost 1/3 of your screen. You have to do a lot of screen dragging, etc.

It's doable, but I dont think ideal.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    You can use and ipad or iphone but really I would only ever use mine as a last resort, nothing replaces full screen with keyboard and mouse control. Also accidents can happen too easily when using other methods which is not a chance I would want to take on a server
  • Options
    netpcdocnetpcdoc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use my iPad for rd often. I get by with it. I would prefer a full screen keyboard, but when I am constantly on the go the iPad is convenient to access a server in case of emergency. I actually find the iPad itelnet client very useful for accessing our cisco's, 3com's, and Brocade WAPs.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

thanks ill look in to that one
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: