Enterprise SSDs

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi folks,

I have a basic home-user knowledge of SSD technology but we're looking at replacing the RAID arrays in a few systems with dedicated SSDs (either native SATA / SAS or complete PCIe card based). I'm going through documentation from various suppliers and have some questions out to our vendors but just wanted to see if anyone here had some real-world advice and info.
Primarily I'm looking at realworld performance for large file writes on SATA vs SAS (from what I understand the main advantage of SAS is multiple Q'ing which I don't think will provide as much benefit for this but like I said my knowledge is beginner level at this stage and this may be wrong). Also the kind of garbage collection supported on common enterprise RAID controllers, SANs etc. if you've implemented them this way. I know TRIM is a no-no on RAID. but there has to be some proprietary mechanisms from the Dells and EMCs of this world (?).

Thanks in advance.
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?