Options

Replace BT Router with Cisco one

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

I have all my kit for my home CCNA Lab and I would like to replace my current ADSL Router from my ISP, with one of my Cisco Lab routers. This is really just for a quick test to see if i can manage.

I currently have a BT HomeHub, but would like to replace this with either my cisco 3640 or1751 router. I have an ADSL WIC.

I really just want to know if this is possible, and what sort of things I need to look out for in trying to achieve this.

So I would have my Cisco router connected to my Home Broadband via ADSL WIC. This Router would also be hooked up to my 2950 switch, and my pc will connect in via the switch....and be able to surf the net.

Can anyone give me any pointers, if it's even possible?

Thank You

Would this be easy enough to do?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Before investigating all of this, be aware that the routers you've listed are ancient and therefore only support the old WIC cards. The only ADSL WIC which works would be the WIC-1ADSL which is ADSL 1 only and that is a maximum of 8Mbps. If your current setup uses ADSL 2 or ADSL 2+ then you'd need a HWIC-1ADSL which won't work in any of the routers you've listed.

Even if you're currently getting less than 8Mbps, there most probably will be a difference if you downgrade to ADSL 1.