Options

Ok, I need to buy a couple switches. 3524??

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
right now all i have is an old 2900xl running 12.0. i'd like to get a couple switches i could do the CCNA Sec and Voice with... then move on to CCNP. i see this being mentioned a lot in threads. for someone thats basicly broke and out of work. is this the most cost effective option out there? i see them for ~$125 each.

Cisco Catalyst 3524-PWR XL Ethernet Switch

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tdean wrote: »
    right now all i have is an old 2900xl running 12.0. i'd like to get a couple switches i could do the CCNA Sec and Voice with... then move on to CCNP. i see this being mentioned a lot in threads. for someone thats basicly broke and out of work. is this the most cost effective option out there? i see them for ~$125 each.

Cisco Catalyst 3524-PWR XL Ethernet Switch

You'll want to get a Cisco 3550 PoE switch. That switch is versatile enough for CCNA Sec, Voice & NP. Ideally you'll want two of these, but as a starter, one will work. You'll also want to add 2 2950s. You're looking at a ~$300 (USD). HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    isnt the 3524 POE?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've gotten a 3550 24 port Layer 3 switch for $125. And a 48 port 3550 for $140.

The 3524XL-EN is just the big brother of the 2924XL-EN switch -- fine for a 3rd CCNA lab switch or for PoE if you don't like power cube clutter. But you pay a premium for the PoE Version.

Nice for a home network -- but not worth $125..... maybe $50-75 if you want a cheap solution to run fiber between your upstairs office, living room office/study area, utility room (a.k.a. server room), and basement data center.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hmmm, so the 3550 will get me to the big dance? where can i get one for ~$125? i dont have paypal, so i would have to use a credit card.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tdean wrote: »
    hmmm, so the 3550 will get me to the big dance? where can i get one for ~$125? i dont have paypal, so i would have to use a credit card.

eBay and patience. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    eBay and patience. HTH.

-Peanut
    unfortunately i cant do ebay b/c since i switched to vonage, paypal was unable to verify me and cancelled my acct.

ok, a lot of hand holding here, but do i want the PWR or FX versions?