CCNA lab advice

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I bought some equipment off of ebay per the recommendations of the nice folks in #cisco on freenode, but that was about one year ago. I've forgotten alot of stuff, but for some reason I had the impression that I had enough equipment. I've got:

• 2x 1721 routers
  • 1x 2950 Catalyst
  • 2x WIC1 CSU/DSU (did I call these the right thing?)
  • 1 serial cable & usb to serial adapter
And GNS3. I think I'd made sure that my switch and routers can handle SSH when I bought them off ebay? Like I said, can't remember! But I went through the trouble to make sure the ios on my equipment is up to date.

Is this enough equipment? It's a poor man's lab...I can't afford to buy anymore right now, but just the same I'd like to know that it's sufficient. I'm hoping to go ICND1 --> ICND2 --> CCNA:Security.

Oh, and I've ordered Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (9781587201820): Wendell Odom: Books

Thanks for your advice. This is going to be a blast!
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're good to start studying for the CCENT (ICND1 exam).

You'll eventually want 3 switches -- at least 2 of them 2950s or better.

For the CCNA:Security you'll need support for Zone Based Firewalls -- so a 12.4(9)T or greater version and at least the Security Feature Set.

The 1721s will max out (with Max Memory) with the 12.4 Advanced Enterprise or the 12.4T Advanced IP Services (which is higher than the Security IOS and includes the Security features including ZBF). The 1700 series is supported by GNS3.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'll buy a couple more switches as a reward for passing the ICND1 in a couple of months.

I don't know how much memory the 1721s have or how to check. I don't even know how to install the memory (yet).

For now it's enough to know that I have enough equipment to pass that first exam. Thank you!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    not to high jack your thread but what would anyone recommend for a router other than a 1721? I am buying two 2950's off ebay for 50 bucks each and now I am in need of a router.
    higherho wrote: »
    what would anyone recommend for a router other than a 1721?
    1760s are rack mount and good for Voice (but seem annoyingly slow to boot at times).

The 2600XM series are nice rack mounts that go through 12.4T Advanced Enterprise (unlike the later model 1700s that tops out at 12.4T Advanced IP Services). Depending on the model and BIOS the 2600XM series routers may support 256Meg DRAM and 48Meg Flash.

I actually bought my 2650XMs (single Fast Ethernet) and 2651XMs (dual Fast Ethernet) for less than what the slower 261xXM and 262xXM routers were selling for -- fewer people seem to search for them (and bid up the prices).
    mikej412 wrote: »
    1760s are rack mount and good for Voice (but seem annoyingly slow to boot at times).

The 2600XM series are nice rack mounts that go through 12.4T Advanced Enterprise (unlike the later model 1700s that tops out at 12.4T Advanced IP Services). Depending on the model and BIOS the 2600XM series routers may support 256Meg DRAM and 48Meg Flash.

I actually bought my 2650XMs (single Fast Ethernet) and 2651XMs (dual Fast Ethernet) for less than what the slower 261xXM and 262xXM routers were selling for -- fewer people seem to search for them (and bid up the prices).

Thanks I will search for them. I pre paring for my CCNA (I went through the Network academy and now I am a System Admin at my company.) So I plan to go up the Design track after my CCNA. I was considering security but I'm not sure. Then again it would be beneficial since I am working in a GOVT environment.
    Sorry for the bump and not making my own thread (I try not to make multiple threads of the same topic) but this is what I will be ordering;

One -Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI 24-Port PoE Switch - $185.00
    Two - Cisco Catalyst WS-C2950C-24 with IOS 12.1 - $55 each
    Two - Cisco 2651XM Router 2600 Series 2 WIC-1DSU-T1
    (Installed Flash Memory -32 MB \ Installed RAM - 128 MB) - $145.00 each

After my CCNA I plan to get my CCNP and then go up the design ladder of the cisco certs. What other equipment do you think I would need? I think I am good to go for the CCNA.

I appreciate all your help :)
    One -Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI 24-Port PoE Switch - $185.00
    Two - Cisco Catalyst WS-C2950C-24 with IOS 12.1 - $55 each
    Two - Cisco 2651XM Router 2600 Series 2 WIC-1DSU-T1
    (Installed Flash Memory -32 MB \ Installed RAM - 128 MB) - $145.00 each
    Starting in January Cisco will be "tracking" the IOS downloads. I don't know how this is going to affect the ability to download LAN Switch IOS images with just a guest level Cisco website login. In the past you've been able to download the 3550 EMI image (which can be installed on an SMI switch and gives you the full Layer 3 Routing Experience :D). You currently get the warning that they *could* charge you for the upgrade.

You did pretty good on the switches -- and those 2651XMs are fair market value.

The 2600XM IOS is supported by Dynamips -- so once you practice backing up your router IOS images and configurations you might want to load GNS3 or Dynagen and emulate more routers when you need them.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Starting in January Cisco will be "tracking" the IOS downloads. I don't know how this is going to affect the ability to download LAN Switch IOS images with just a guest level Cisco website login. In the past you've been able to download the 3550 EMI image (which can be installed on an SMI switch and gives you the full Layer 3 Routing Experience :D). You currently get the warning that they *could* charge you for the upgrade.

Ummm, I should see if I can get the contract number from my job so I can download there IOS's! I also have an option to get a EMI switch too.
    You did pretty good on the switches -- and those 2651XMs are fair market value.

Thats good to know.
    The 2600XM IOS is supported by Dynamips -- so once you practice backing up your router IOS images and configurations you might want to load GNS3 or Dynagen and emulate more routers when you need them.

yea I have used GNS3 in the past. One of the major reasons why I wanted to build a lab environment was to get away from the virtual but I knew I would need to go back to the virtual sooner or later.

I appreciate the help! ITs been a few months since my last study session ( needed my security + for the job and then other stuff happened). So I am trying my best to get the CCNA by February.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Ummm, I should see if I can get the contract number from my job so I can download there IOS's! I also have an option to get a EMI switch too.

Thats good to know.

yea I have used GNS3 in the past. One of the major reasons why I wanted to build a lab environment was to get away from the virtual but I knew I would need to go back to the virtual sooner or later.

I appreciate the help! ITs been a few months since my last study session ( needed my security + for the job and then other stuff happened). So I am trying my best to get the CCNA by February.

Cisco uses their own virtual machine for emulation/simulation. They use a program called IOU (IOS on Unix). Anyway, they even use this up to the CCIE level for the troubleshooting section for the CCIE R&S exam. Trust me, taken the lab and talked to the proctor about it already.

Virtual is here to stay, for a long time. There really is no need for hardware anymore, unless you are trying to learn how to troubleshoot layer 1 issues and basic cabling issues. That is why there is no "Cabling" issues in the CCIE labs. At that level, they want to test you on the more difficult issues like advanced protocols and protocol troubleshooting.