Options

Installing over the network

When carrying out a network installation of 2kpro, you find the distribution server which holds the i/386 folders in a folder you create called W2000P for examople, right? Now on the target computer , formatted with FAT, you connect to the server and locate the W2000P folder with the subfolder $OEM$ right? Now, the book states that you run winnt.exe for older versions of windows and winnt.exe for NT systems, where exactly do you run this from, is it Start>Programs>Run or is it from command prompt, or where from, I just have trouble understanding this part, sorry to be a pain. Tried it from an XP pro machine formatted with FAT but got no luck, did not expect to though seeing as it is a newere version than 2000 pro, but thought I would give it a try, any help please?

icon_confused.gif
Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"

Comments

• Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Sorry, winnt32.exe
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    dandanearldandanearl Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    winnt.exe is used with command prompt in dos. 16bit
    winnt32.exe can be run from start>run>\I386\winnnt32.exe - 32bit
    At least this is what I was told in class last night!
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dandanearl wrote:
    winnt.exe is used with command prompt in dos. 16bit
    winnt32.exe can be run from start>run>\I386\winnnt32.exe - 32bit
    At least this is what I was told in class last night!

I would agree with that!

But also in the real world. That is a very slow method and most companies use imaging software to install OSes in their boxes. I just took the 70-210 this Feb. 1st and I don't really recall getting a question about installing windows 2000 through a distribution server.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    there are many kind of installation.
    if you say $OEM$ then you must setup RIS/remote installation service.
    but if you say just install over the network - you can just copy i386 folder to any computer on the network ( have TCP/IP well connected ) - share the folder and connect to it.

ex :
    you already have a well connected network.
    PC A is running win98 and you want to upgrade to W2K.
    you copy the w2k setup files ( i386 ) from cdrom to any computer ( the distro server ) on the network - share the folder.
    then you connect PC A to that computer, find the shared folder and point to winnt32.exe.

another thing if you try to install over the network from a PXE diskboot (RIS)... just can explain it by typing, sorry :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.