Options

Google Apps with personal domain

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Not sure if anyone uses this or not, but recently I set up Google Apps to route my domain through there. Originally I had hosting/email (no site though) set up via GoDaddy, but I migrated a lot over to Google Apps. No my domain email is through Gmail (but I still have my @domainname.com), calendar etc. For mail you just have to change the MX records on the GoDaddy hosting side. Nice thing too is you can set up naming for mail, calendar and such (ex: mail.domainname.com), just add a cname value with the host and bam it works.

The free version of Google Apps you can set up a max of 50 users. Unless you go to the business plan ($50/per user) you don't get things like Exchange like support, Exchange migration, mail archiving with Postini, etc.

So far I've been really pleased with it, and I think my wife has been fine with the migration (when I start talking about this stuff she just glazes over and says "I just want it to work"!).

Anyway, just throwing that out there for anyone if you haven't used it before or are interested.
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I think my wife has been fine with the migration (when I start talking about this stuff she just glazes over and says "I just want it to work"!).

Hmmm now where have I heard that before ;)
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gateway wrote: »
    Hmmm now where have I heard that before ;)

Probably every guy (or girl) on here who's SO asks why we need to have a computer hooked up to the tv, or why we need a file server in the house, etc etc! "I just want to check my email and look at Facebook!" :)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS