Options

PowerShell - TechLab Suggestions

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm finishing up a TechLab on Windows PowerShell for general admin exams (meaning I am leaving out application specific commands for Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, etc). I think it is a pretty descent intro for someone prepping for Windows 7 or MCITP: SA/EA but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to add beyond the basics for practical purposes or what to add based on things they find/found difficult to grasp with PoSh.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anything with auditing (file access, event logs, AD, dumping DNS records, etc) would be extremely helpful. Also what is the assumed background knowledge of the reader (as far as powershell is concerned)?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anything with auditing (file access, event logs, AD, dumping DNS records, etc) would be extremely helpful. Also what is the assumed background knowledge of the reader (as far as powershell is concerned)?

That goes a bit beyond the scope of the article. But I will certainly look at adding a few labs about auditing file acces, logs, and AD. I think that is pretty practical stuff and I am a firm believer that examples should be practical.
    Also what is the assumed background knowledge of the reader (as far as powershell is concerned)?

Zero. I start from configuring the shell for script execution and continue up to cmdlets, variables, control flow/logic (if, foreach, etc) and then touch on the basics of configuring profiles and code re-use (writing functions and modules).
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome. I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    I will also be looking forward to reading this Robert. I have had basic exposure to PoSH and utilised it where I can but it's certainly not a tool I use daily, although soon that will hopefully change :)

Thanks for your efforts.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa