Options

From Network+ to Security+

ClockworksClockworks Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the Network+ yesterday and passed it with a 813 (thankfully). I hope to take (passing would be nice too) the Security+ by the end of the year.

- How similar are the two exams, how much do they borrow from one another?
- What are the differences between the two?
- What should I expect and watch out for?
- Difficulty, N+ or S+, which is the harder of the two?
- How long should I spend preparing for the test? I spent about 2 weeks studying like a madman for the N+ (also have some experience as a Network Admin).

Thanks everyone, it's a high euphoria to come passing out of my first cert and want to start a streak.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Clockworks wrote: »
    I took the Network+ yesterday and passed it with a 813 (thankfully). I hope to take (passing would be nice too) the Security+ by the end of the year.

- How similar are the two exams, how much do they borrow from one another?
    - What are the differences between the two?
    - What should I expect and watch out for?
    - Difficulty, N+ or S+, which is the harder of the two?
    - How long should I spend preparing for the test? I spent about 2 weeks studying like a madman for the N+ (also have some experience as a Network Admin).

Thanks everyone, it's a high euphoria to come passing out of my first cert and want to start a streak.

I'm going to answer the questions that aren't covered here:

If A+, Network+, and Security+ are taken in succession, it is easy to see how they build off each other. A topic that has been discussed a lot here.

Difficulty is subjective...I found them both the same, but Security+ was easier to bang out, much thanks to the book that everyone (including myself) recommends that you use to prepare for the exam (Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead)

It could be as little as 10 days studies...or a couple of months. It's really up to you. But with the aforementioned guide plus the fact that you just got the Network+, if you started today getting the Kindle for PC book or something, you could sit for the exam on 12/31, pass, and have a lifetime cert. But you gotta stary today or at best Sunday.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm going to answer the questions that aren't covered here:

If A+, Network+, and Security+ are taken in succession, it is easy to see how they build off each other. A topic that has been discussed a lot here.

Difficulty is subjective...I found them both the same, but Security+ was easier to bang out, much thanks to the book that everyone (including myself) recommends that you use to prepare for the exam (Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead)

It could be as little as 10 days studies...or a couple of months. It's really up to you. But with the aforementioned guide plus the fact that you just got the Network+, if you started today getting the Kindle for PC book or something, you could sit for the exam on 12/31, pass, and have a lifetime cert. But you gotta stary today or at best Sunday.

Ah, ok, I will be doing something like that very soon, maybe start with Trainsignal material in the meantime (already ordered that exact book).

Sorry if the question has been asked a lot, first time with comptia stuff =/

EDIT: What about those Exam cram books? Are they any good?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Clockworks wrote: »

EDIT: What about those Exam cram books? Are they any good?

ExamCrap is just that (at least for Security+). Folks have had mixed reviews (at best) using them for other certs (Network+, etc). But if you're using Darril's book....that's really all you need.

One other thing....since Darril's book is a good easy read, if you think you can finish it before 12/31 (and do his final exam), book your exam now. People are reporting that it's getting difficult to get a test date because of all the procrastinators. Otherwise it will most likely be the CE program for you.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    ExamCrap is just that (at least for Security+). Folks have had mixed reviews (at best) using them for other certs (Network+, etc). But if you're using Darril's book....that's really all you need.

One other thing....since Darril's book is a good easy read, if you think you can finish it before 12/31 (and do his final exam), book your exam now. People are reporting that it's getting difficult to get a test date because of all the procrastinators. Otherwise it will most likely be the CE program for you.

Well, looks lime you were right, all the testing centers are completely booked in my state and the neighboring states =/

Poop.....
  • Options
    burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the ExamCrap book as well for Security+ and I wish I didn't.

Darril's book is all you need.
  • Options
    bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I took Security+ this year and had a better time studying for that than I am this one. Netowrk+ is a bit intimidating for me. There is a lot of memorization as well as subnetting. I studied from many sources on both.

I am glad I then decided to go for the Netowork+. Just based on the studying I am doing there is so much more I am learning about networking than I could have if i had not then tried to pick up Network+.

I like the Meyers book and Tod Lamle book for both tests. I also used ExamCram. and found that rumors are true. Not much strength is in them.

I did not panic before Security+. Wow am I panicing now for the Net+. I feel like there is more to know and juggle. and I feel embarassed to say that I have read 2 books and MEssers videos and I still don't have everything in my head. I have studied for at least 4 months. (pretty sad huh?)

If you have already taken Network+ and passed, I have no doubt that you will be able to pass the Security+ using your same methods. Take it from me...who is now struggling with the studying for the Network+....(I might be way over dramatizing but phychologically Net+ is a gargoyle).

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    byten wrote: »
    Hi,

I took Security+ this year and had a better time studying for that than I am this one. Netowrk+ is a bit intimidating for me. There is a lot of memorization as well as subnetting. I studied from many sources on both.

I am glad I then decided to go for the Netowork+. Just based on the studying I am doing there is so much more I am learning about networking than I could have if i had not then tried to pick up Network+.

I like the Meyers book and Tod Lamle book for both tests. I also used ExamCram. and found that rumors are true. Not much strength is in them.

I did not panic before Security+. Wow am I panicing now for the Net+. I feel like there is more to know and juggle. and I feel embarassed to say that I have read 2 books and MEssers videos and I still don't have everything in my head. I have studied for at least 4 months. (pretty sad huh?)

If you have already taken Network+ and passed, I have no doubt that you will be able to pass the Security+ using your same methods. Take it from me...who is now struggling with the studying for the Network+....(I might be way over dramatizing but phychologically Net+ is a gargoyle).

I know, N+ was a pain to work with. Trainsignal, Mike's book, and a few practice tests was how I was able to pull it all off. I dunno if S+ is easier but it won't really matter if I can't take the test..... =/
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    byten wrote: »
    Hi,

i personally didn't have too much questions on subnetting. especially not more complex questions such as subnet X into X subnets. it'll be rather basic

also, going from Network+ to Security+ seems almost TOO easy. i finished Darril's book in 3 days reading over 150 pages a day. a lot of overlap between the two tests. now i just have to review for my test next thursday
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs