Modifying/Troubleshooting The Registry

BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
Are there any good books out there that show you how to modify/troubleshoot the Reistry icon_confused.gif:
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mastering Windows XP Registry
    ISBN: 0-7821-2987-0 from Sybex is good.

Otherwise, get yourself a test box with the desired OS and another system with an internet connection and begin trying to break and fix things within it!

HTH

PW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check this site out: http://www.winguides.com/registry/ I was recomended it a good bit back when I was trying to find more bout the registry.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That's the same site I was about to recommend. It contains a lot of neat registry tweaks. I'm not sure how much troubleshooting info it has.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    bigo1120 wrote:
    Are there any good books out there that show you how to modify/troubleshoot the Reistry icon_confused.gif:

What did you hope to accomplish with this information? Just to become more familiar with things? Or something else?

The link Metaldave is a good start. Otherwise, if you have an older system (or spare) you can install an OS and go into each REG entry one at a time to become more familar with what is there, then start 'tweaking' the keys.

This would be a good time to learn how to backup your registiry before beginning - turn off/on the wrong key and your test system won't start ;)

If you need something more specific, let us know, we'll do our best.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    Thank you to all for the feedback!! It is truly appreciated!! I just want to know how to modify the registry for my own knowledge (knowledge is power, right?). I've checked out the website and it IS a great place to start.

Thanks again for all the feed back!!!!!!!!
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Theres also a little tutorial I came across in there about making your own entries, which is kinda cool too to know how to do.