Options

Failed 70-680

Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I went and took my 70-680 exam yesterday and failed. I studied for 3 months, labbed some up and attempted the test. I used the Microsoft book. That test is pretty difficult. There is a lot of material to learn and I think command switches, subnetting and permission questions are what screwed me. Guess I have to restudy and try again at a later date. I don't do well on tests like that. I would rather have a hands on exam, I can figure out my way through those.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass, it's a tough exam.
  • Options
    mrgreggiemrgreggie Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. A friend/co-worker of mine is studying that, and I can see first hand how challenging it can be. Keep moving forward, focus on where you need work, and you'll get where you want to be.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not trying to hijack the thread at all and sorry to hear that. However did MS change the test since release? I hear two conflicting things about it really, I notice most people on here say it's super hard. While people I know personally said it was cake. Of course they took it a while ago not long after it was released. When do you plan on doing a retake?
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would seem it's better to of failed and come out knowing there were areas that you were weak on than to of come of thinking you KickeD they SheeT out of the test and failed...

That being said, I'm sure you'll brush that off, sharpen up where you're weak at & then Kick the SheeT outta the TesT !!!!!

Good Luck !!! :)
    Stiltz79 wrote: »
    That test is pretty difficult. There is a lot of material to learn and I think command switches, subnetting and permission questions are what screwed me. Guess I have to restudy and try again at a later date.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stiltz79 wrote: »
    I went and took my 70-680 exam yesterday and failed. I studied for 3 months, labbed some up and attempted the test. I used the Microsoft book. That test is pretty difficult. There is a lot of material to learn and I think command switches, subnetting and permission questions are what screwed me. Guess I have to restudy and try again at a later date. I don't do well on tests like that. I would rather have a hands on exam, I can figure out my way through those.

sorry to hear that man. 70-680 is no joke from my reading. I actually have the book+CBT but refused to pursue the exam itself. The test is just insane. Maybe 60-70 command line utilities each one with a dozen or more options? PLUS pure trivia questions "is it properties or was it options?"

And yes, all the subnetting and IPv6. For the same amount of effort you can probably knock out 70-640 or better and have a more respected cert on your resume.

Those I know who have passed it said they really mainly used technet videos and articles on each subject. Anyhow, good look on it!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Not trying to hijack the thread at all and sorry to hear that. However did MS change the test since release? I hear two conflicting things about it really, I notice most people on here say it's super hard. While people I know personally said it was cake. Of course they took it a while ago not long after it was released. When do you plan on doing a retake?
    I took it in beta and found it to be moderately difficult. It was not *hard* but it was certainly not on the level of easy as the Vista exam.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm studying for it myself. I have labsim and if the question in it are anything like the real thing I'm in trouble. For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning behind asking me: Computer A has this issue, Computer B has this issue, What do you do for computer D? Answer? Upgrade to windows 7 ultimate... They make no sense what so ever. It's like trying to solve a riddle with every question.

Sorry to hijack... Keep studying and you'll get it. At least Microsoft has second shot right now.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    elkristoelkristo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how many questions are there on the test?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    To bad mate, but at least you now know where you're weak and know the format of the exam. You'll pass next time.
    I took it in beta and found it to be moderately difficult. It was not *hard* but it was certainly not on the level of easy as the Vista exam.

Agree with that, but it all depends on the individual's level of knowledge and experience. After all what may be easy for one may be hard for another :)

-Ken
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Computer A has this issue, Computer B has this issue, What do you do for computer D? Answer? Upgrade to windows 7 ultimate...
    sorry but icon_lol.gif, its really late and I found that funny. Definitely not looking forward to taking this one.

To the OP: I'm really sorry to hear about the fail. Study smart/consistently and use multiple (good) sources. You'll get it :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm studying for it myself. I have labsim and if the question in it are anything like the real thing I'm in trouble. For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning behind asking me: Computer A has this issue, Computer B has this issue, What do you do for computer D? Answer? Upgrade to windows 7 ultimate... They make no sense what so ever. It's like trying to solve a riddle with every question.

Sorry to hijack... Keep studying and you'll get it. At least Microsoft has second shot right now.

The rules to Microsoft exams
    ....in any given scenario
    #1 Always buy their latest product.
    #2 Always use their newest whizbang utility.

When you look at it this way the riddle is demystified at least on some questions I hope. And no, I'm not joking.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Hypntick wrote: »

I met some people while doing a contract who thought the same thing ie that it was 'cake'. One day while messing around on one of their servers they used for testing I came across an installation of Test King for the 70-680, yeah it was 'cake' for them because they used a well known brain **** and basically cheated for the cert.

I found the exam to be moderately difficult, I wouldn't say its as hard as the 291 for example but definitely not easy.
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It just bugs me on how much non Windows 7 crap was on the test. I thought I studied hard and knew the material. It makes you doubt yourself quite in your study skills.