Options

Building a cctv dvr

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
We have 16 cctv coax cameras that interface with a pc based dvr. The company that built the pc has gone under and no longer supports it. I've been looking around at just building a new dvr on my own. Most dvr cards come with their own software which will work with our bnc cameras. Since that software will be installed in Windows, I could just get a raid 5 card, throw in three 1-terabyte hard drives, setup the software and call it a day. Is it really that simple?

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    We have 16 cctv coax cameras that interface with a pc based dvr. The company that built the pc has gone under and no longer supports it. I've been looking around at just building a new dvr on my own. Most dvr cards come with their own software which will work with our bnc cameras. Since that software will be installed in Windows, I could just get a raid 5 card, throw in three 1-terabyte hard drives, setup the software and call it a day. Is it really that simple?

Yes phoeneous, it is really that simple. You are so awesome for doing this. Best of luck with your project.

Love,
    phoeneous
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Will the CCTV recordings be possibly used as evidence for legal matters? If so you need to investigate whether there are any extra requirements or certifications required for your recording box. The CCTV DVRs I've used have had timestamping mechanisms which in theory prove that the CCTV recording hasn't been tampered with and that the time is correct.