So I just took project+ :( ...

joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
...and passed with 850.

I did not enjoy this exam. I would say it's 85% straight forward 15% cryptic (if that makes sense). Just make sure you know the objectives like the back of your hand.

To give perspective of my discomfort during the exam, I genuinely had the though of "This is the last exam I'm ever going to take." Kind of like deciding you won't drink again while you're throwing up during a hangover.

Anyway, for study materials I read this front to back on Books 24x7:
Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books

I bought and went through every aspect of uCertify:
http://www.ucertify.com/certifications/CompTIA/project-plus.html
I will say that uCertify pisses me off with their poor grammar, but for the most part it was a useful tool.

I built a simple program in VB.NET that helped me learn the 9 knowledge areas and their properties as well as the 5 project process groups and properties associated with them. I would love to release my program and source-code to techexams.net but I'm not sure of "correct" the process of doing so. If anyone is interested in this, please let me know or tell me how to appropriately turn this over to techexams.net. Here are a few screenshots:

58753718.jpg

98864262.jpg

80892700.jpg

69470104.jpg

All in all, thank you so much TE for helping me pass another exam.

Time to relax for a while!
WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow....excellent score!! And here you were worried about nothing!

Well done though! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Wow....excellent score!! And here you were worried about nothing!

Well done though! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Lol thanks. I felt a lot better about taking it after you took it and passed in such a short amount of time. Definitely the most nerve wracking exam though :p
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I feel like I want to take this.... even though it sounds like the suck
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I feel like I want to take this.... even though it sounds like the suck

If you can get through ITIL...you can definitely get through this.
    ITIL was mind numbingly boring, but I have to say some of the stuff I learned in that class and HDI have came up on all 3 CompTIA tests
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    ITIL was mind numbingly boring, but I have to say some of the stuff I learned in that class and HDI have came up on all 3 CompTIA tests

Once you get to an admin-level in IT (and depending on the shop, a senior level tech at the deskside level), much of what you study in Project+, for the most part, is somewhat real world. Whether you are a "team member" or running a project.

Heck even at the help desk level, Project+ could be useful for things like Inventory/Asset Management internal to that area of IT, or implementing/wanting to implement a new help desk system.

I was talking to my boss about Project+, as I explained to him I took it for college but also to one day prep me for the PMP exam. We were under the agreement (which is discussed at some length in the Project+ study guide) that people on the team are what makes or breaks any project.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice score! Congrats on the pass.

As for your program, that looks very well done. I would enjoy using it, if you would be willing to share it.

I enjoyed your analogy, by the way. I have friends that inevitably get to the puking stage while drinking, and then, just as inevitably, swear off of alcohol forever! Until the next time... icon_wink.gif
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Nice score! Congrats on the pass.

As for your program, that looks very well done. I would enjoy using it, if you would be willing to share it.

I enjoyed your analogy, by the way. I have friends that inevitably get to the puking stage while drinking, and then, just as inevitably, swear off of alcohol forever! Until the next time... icon_wink.gif

Sure! Do you have an email address? Looks like your PMs are turned off still
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Mike not to be nosey, but I would stick to your original plan. MCDST and then the upgrade to Windows 7. In my humble opinion that would be your best option at this point.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Mike not to be nosey, but I would stick to your original plan. MCDST and then the upgrade to Windows 7. In my humble opinion that would be your best option at this point.

If he has 2 weeks out of his life, and that's at most, Project+ isn't a deal breaker for him. It's not the easiest exam in the world, to be sure, but it is doable with 2 weeks of prep.

I had to take it regardless for WGU, otherwise, I would have spent the appropriate amount of time going for the PMP. I only did it this month because a part of me felt that this exam couldn't be that impossible to pass (and it wasn't...though a small part of me wishes I spent a bit more time as I did with Security+ to get a higher score...but man, that's why TE has the motto "a pass is a pass.") I only needed to spend more time on the Planning portion of the exam, but everything else I was comfortable with. This definitely isn't a CISSP (in terms of difficulty, not subject) or even a PMP, despite Project+ testing you on the same topics that a PMP candidate would have to know and understand.

There is demand for, at minimum, a familiarity on Project Management methodology. While Project+ isn't exactly anywhere near primetime as a PMP/CAPM is, it will at least let you intelligently discuss PMBOK domains.

So yeah, Mike, as I said, if you have 2-3 weeks to read a couple of chapters a night (coffee is your best friend), then yes knock it out. The only reason I know you could do it is because you could pass ITIL (the "boring" factor is about the same with both).
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gratz on the pass, now rub some of that my way cause I'm taking this beast soon...lol
    I definitely want to get my MCDST.... my school is layed out with a Win 7/Server 2008... so I plan on doing that via school from now until March, but in the meantime I thought about working on MCDST with the Win 7, and then maybe Server+ with the 2008.... but, the MS tests are much cheaper than CompTIA, so who knows... I need to research Project+ a little more to see where I could fit it in
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark