Options

Darril Gibson's Security+

mukh05mukh05 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has any one used any web site to buy / download a soft copy of Darril Gibson's Security+ book

Other than the Amazon Kindle version.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    There are only two ways to get it. Hardcopy book from Amazon.com, or Kindle version from... oh look, Amazon.com. I was unsuccessful in finding a copy in local book stores, other online retailers for a better deal, or honestly, anywhere else.

If you are referring to a soft copy for free from a torrent site or similar i suggest you go elsewhere as that will not be well received here, especially since, the author himself is a member here. At $9.99 you can't get much cheaper for ALL YOU NEED to pass the exam. Buy it, use it, pass, rejoice.
  • Options
    mukh05mukh05 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most probably Paperlantern did not read my post carefully.

I was not looking for a FREE download – then I would have asked for that.
    I already know about the Amazon Kindle – which I mentioned in my original Post.

I have an older PC, was having problem with Amazon Kindle, so I was trying to find a different format.

Thanks
  • Options
    dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems there's a majority on this site likes the Darril Gibson's Security+ book?

I have in my possession the Mike Meyers Security+ Passport, the Exam Cram (SY0-201) CompTIA Security+ by Diane Barret with the Measureup CD, as well as the PDF file or book
    CompTIA Security+ Certification Study Guide Exam SYO-201 3E Ido Dubrawsky

I also have some practice test (Trial version) of the MasterExam by LearnKey which I have used in the past for the A+ and Network+ certification.

I need feedback on which studyguides is good to prepare for the Security+ certifcation?

Plus which testing sites are good?

Ucertify.com or .net?
    MasterExams by LearnKey?
    Kaplan selftest or Kaplan selftest software, I think this is similar to the Transcenders?
    Transcenders.com?

Measureup.com or .net?
    selfprep.org?
    preplogic.com ( the video is good, I think its similar to LearnKey cause it has the same table of contents) the PDF I don't recommend
    passguide (braindumps?)

I am trying to avoid the braindumps if I can? the ******** I find is a good one and the MasterExams by Learnkey is good too.

Please let me know which one you recommend?

Dan

For those who aren't sure if you can or can't download the PDF for the Kindle PC version, the answer is YES you can you don't need a Kindle to get the Kindle version or PDF file for the Darril Gibson Security+ I tried it and it works.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dan101 wrote: »
    if I can? the ******** I find is a good one and the MasterExams by Learnkey is good too.

Please let me know which one you recommend?

Dan

The reason its censored is because it is a braindump. Check certguard.com to verify if an online source is a braindump. For this exam, I found the practice test questions in Darill's book sufficient. This is more of an "application of concepts" kind of exam rather than 100% memorization of facts.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    I too have read that Gibsons' book is the preferred method for study (from amazon surprise surprise).

I myself and currently reading it and it deffinately lives up to the hype.. It's very easy to digest the important details and I have found some great information within the pages. Having already a little experience in the security field its also taught me some very sound principles in a simple manor.

Im planning on sitting the sec+ exam in 2 or 3 weeks providing all goes well
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the poster is looking for ebook or PDF format, so he only needs a PDF viewer, etc....
    For the kindle version, I bought that in addition to the hard copy. it was nice having speech enabled on the kindle. So, I could listen to kindle when driving.
  • Options
    Bellman80Bellman80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am torn between getting Kindle edition of Darril's book or the paperback. I have a smaller Kindle, not DX, and pdf's fonts are too small to read even in landscape format.

Anyone knows how the Kindle edition of the Darril's book compares to the real book? Does it come in .pdf or kindle format? Does the kindle format display images/tables correctly and would I be able to increase the font size on it?
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Bellman80 wrote: »
    I am torn between getting Kindle edition of Darril's book or the paperback. I have a smaller Kindle, not DX, and pdf's fonts are too small to read even in landscape format.

Anyone knows how the Kindle edition of the Darril's book compares to the real book? Does it come in .pdf or kindle format? Does the kindle format display images/tables correctly and would I be able to increase the font size on it?

I don't have a Kindle, but I did purchase Darril's book using the Kindle for PC option. Honestly, I don't notice any disadvantages to having the digital version since you can do almost everything you would do with a paperback (love highlighting).

The book comes in a Kindle format and yes you can adjust the font size (at least in the PC application). Everything displays very nicely.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    mukh05 wrote: »
    Most probably Paperlantern did not read my post carefully.

I was not looking for a FREE download – then I would have asked for that.
    I already know about the Amazon Kindle – which I mentioned in my original Post.

I have an older PC, was having problem with Amazon Kindle, so I was trying to find a different format.

Thanks

I read and understood fine. And my statement remains the same. There are no other formats. Kindle and hard copy from Amazon. That's it.

I didnt say that you WERE looking for a free copy i only stated that IF YOU WERE, etc.

How old is your PC? Ive successfully used the kindle for PC application with no problems on a Laptop from 2002... Talking a 600MHz processor and 128MB of RAM.