Options

My 7 year old daughter got her first certification!

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
She went from white belt to yellow belt in Krav Maga. She has been doing it since she turned 6 and she will be 8 in January so it was a long road, but she finally got it.

Keep in mind this is a very strict place this is not a belt factory.

Just thought I would share that, I am very proud of her.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome. I'm a Orange belt in tang soo do and I've been trying to find a shop so I can cross black belt off my goal list.

Is it traditional karate or more Americanized?
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    N2IT wrote: »
    She went from white belt to yellow belt in Krav Maga. She has been doing it since she turned 6 and she will be 8 in January so it was a long road, but she finally got it.

Keep in mind this is a very strict place this is not a belt factory.

Just thought I would share that, I am very proud of her.

WOW, man congrats. My son is only 3 months and i`m tying to determine which discipline he should learn lol.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

I was so tempted to lmgtfy.....but decided not to and instead did it for myself.... icon_cool.gif

N2, your daughter is going to be hardcore when she grows up. Anything Israeli (when it comes to fighting) is totally hardcore (because...they have to be...lol).

Anyone with a street-style mentality of fighting would really be into Krav Maga. I'm curious as to what made you sign her up for that, as opposed to traditional Karate?
  • Options
    Awesome. I'm a Orange belt in tang soo do and I've been trying to find a shop so I can cross black belt off my goal list.

It's Israeli fighting style. Krav Maga = Contact Combat.

It's mainly strikes, knees, elbows, wrist locks, neck chokes, foot stomps, hammer fist.

She is still learning the basics, but she throws 4 types elbows and can get out of all sorts of holds. Her strikes are beastly lol, both fist and hammer. I have her hitting the bag 2 nights a week along with her training 2-3 times a week. Her kicks are coming around. Mainly front kicks with heel and and more defensive push off. And there is the round kick and leg strikes. Like Muay Thai. Where you lift your knee up and then turn into your opponent and strije the lower leg or knee.

It takes a lot of dedication. The only other activities she does is Soccer when the season is here and ice skating.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool, big congrats to your daughter. :D

I've got a couple of buddies that train Krav Maga, and I have to say it looks like a lot of fun. I've already invested about 10 years of my life working on Choy Li Fut kung fu, or I'd have jumped on that bandwagon, myself. I hope she sticks with it, martial arts can be a big confidence-booster, especially for young children, and working with a school that puts more emphasis on skill than rank is very important.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Very cool, big congrats to your daughter. :D

I've got a couple of buddies that train Krav Maga, and I have to say it looks like a lot of fun. I've already invested about 10 years of my life working on Choy Li Fut kung fu, or I'd have jumped on that bandwagon, myself. I hope she sticks with it, martial arts can be a big confidence-booster, especially for young children, and working with a school that puts more emphasis on skill than rank is very important.

Here is her studio Xtreme Krav Maga St. Louis - Israeli Self Defense, Martial Arts, Boxing, Fitness

Darren Levine the 6th degree black belt is the one who signed her certificate. Like I said earlier believe me this is not a belt factory.

And thanks brother!

One last thing I like about Krav Maga. Since it's Winter season they train with their mittens, scarfs, and coats. They do seasonal training so you can turn their clothing into weapons against them.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Since it's Winter season they train with their mittens, scarfs, and coats. They do seasonal training so you can turn their clothing into weapons against them.
    Heh, that's pretty cool actually. The most outlandish weapon I learned to use was the Horse Bench.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Martial Arts Belts, White Belt, Black Belts, Green Belts, Blue Belts at Century Martial Arts

;)

[/QUOTE]

...and to N2IT, it is a nice accomplishment for your daughter, so congratulations, but there are very, very few places that are NOT belt factories, but that's another topic for another day.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    icon_redface.gif I totally did not read the entire post. Sorry for the assumption, Krav Maga is pretty intense. How did she get involved in it? Do you practice?

I just looked and it looks like she would be 6th or 5th gup in Tang Soo Do. That's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »

...and to N2IT, it is a nice accomplishment for your daughter, so congratulations, but there are very, very few places that are NOT belt factories, but that's another topic for another day.[/QUOTE]

The studios instructor is a green belt and he has been doing it a loooooooong time.

I think that speaks volumes.

His most advanced student is a "level 2", which is basically an adult yellow belt. And his classes can have up to 20-30 students.

Trust me his studio and Vaghi's, who was trained directly under the Gracie's have two of the most legit studios in the area. He is more focused on Brazlian Jiujitsu. Mixed Martial Arts, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing and Conditioning in St. Louis, Missouri

Both are insanely hard to get belts. The only guy I know who went up through Vaghi's system fast was a guy name Tracy, he was also a collegiate wrestler with a sick take down. Tracy was also more than lay and pray. He developed the tactical movement quickly and he is still a Blue belt (last time I checked), which is 3rd with Brown, Black and several Dans after that.

One last thing I want to note, is that if the kids get to Black Belt before they are old enough to enter the adult class, they will automatically become a phase 2 or level 2 student, which gives them basically an adult yellow belt which is presitgous. Usually the child has to start at age 6 and give it their all for 6 years.

I could be wrong here but I believe anything above a yellow belt you have to fly out or travel somewhere to be graded.
  • Options
    icon_redface.gif I totally did not read the entire post. Sorry for the assumption, Krav Maga is pretty intense. How did she get involved in it? Do you practice?

Naaa I did Judo for several years, but I have a very bad neck injury from being a stupid teenager. Now I just focus on my children.

I like Krav Maga for my daughter and I think I will either get my son into Judo or bring him straight into Brazlian Jiu Jitsu. It just depends on his development.

I have large floor mat and several different punching bags and pads.
  • Options
    Naaa I did Judo for several years, but I have a very bad neck injury from being a stupid teenager. Now I just focus on my children.

I like Krav Maga for my daughter and I think I will either get my son into Judo or bring him straight into Brazlian Jiu Jitsu. It just depends on his development.

I have large floor mat and several different punching bags and pads.

That's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats to your daughter! That's impressive. I have a 1st degree black in Tae-Kwon-Do, but it's been years since I studied. When my boys get older, I'd like to get them into it.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Congrats to your daughter! That's impressive. I have a 1st degree black in Tae-Kwon-Do, but it's been years since I studied. When my boys get older, I'd like to get them into it.

Thanks awesome!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to study Aiki-Jujitsu with a buddy of mine for a year during high school (many moons ago). I had always wanted to get back into it...aside from the homework I did to read up Kava Maga, I saw there are a couple of reputable schools in NYC that are extremely hardcore. The one place I looked at, the sensei/instructor takes his students back to the Holy Land for seminars/training. But I think what people get out of this particular martial art from what I read is if you pick it up quickly, you can progress quickly (like with everything else)...but what you are learning in the beginning would be more than enough to deal with that drunken moron at the bar. LOL.

Thanks for this N2...and best of luck to your daughter...it sounds like no one will be messing with your family...lmao.

Did your SO do any training herself in anything?
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's Israeli fighting style. Krav Maga = Contact Combat.

It's mainly strikes, knees, elbows, wrist locks, neck chokes, foot stomps, hammer fist.

She is still learning the basics, but she throws 4 types elbows and can get out of all sorts of holds. Her strikes are beastly lol, both fist and hammer. I have her hitting the bag 2 nights a week along with her training 2-3 times a week. Her kicks are coming around. Mainly front kicks with heel and and more defensive push off. And there is the round kick and leg strikes. Like Muay Thai. Where you lift your knee up and then turn into your opponent and strije the lower leg or knee.

It takes a lot of dedication. The only other activities she does is Soccer when the season is here and ice skating.

Damn, why didn't I think of that when I played soccer?? Seems like the perfect thing to know for soccer and basketball or any other sport where elbows are thrown.

Seriously though that is impressive for someone her age. I'm hoping to enroll my daughter into Brazilian Jujitsu and/or Mauy Thai when she gets older, she's 2 1/2 now.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118

Krav Maga??!?? At age 8?!!? Holy smokes!!!

Congrads to your daughter.

I took a few of those classes, certs took up too much of my time and I had to quit. There were a few times where I got knocked to the mat and took about 10 to 15 seconds to get back up.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took Krav for a bit when I lived in Brazil. My ex-wife was in the Brazilian Intelligence Agency and we took it together. I have never in my life been more bruised than I was after those classes. My shins, knuckles and forearms where in chronic states of abuse...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    A portion of it is for the self defense factor right?

When was the last time you saw someone in the news that defeated a criminal with martial arts? Or a bully in school? Yeah, I'm a little skeptic about it's value. The wife wants to put our son in Tae Kwon Doe...and I rightfully accused her that she just wants to see him in the outfit. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    SteveLord wrote: »
    A portion of it is for the self defense factor right?

When was the last time you saw someone in the news that defeated a criminal with martial arts? Or a bully in school? Yeah, I'm a little skeptic about it's value. The wife wants to put our son in Tae Kwon Doe...and I rightfully accused her that she just wants to see him in the outfit. ;)

Yes, most martial arts are of little value in real-world scenarios because you are trained to follow the rules of the "sport." A criminal will always have the advantage over someone who trains for competitions because the criminal won't have any rules. However, Krav Maga is a combat system and is practical for real-world scenarios. But with any combat system, the real training is psychological as you must be prepared to use the tool of violence to injure or kill in order to survive.

By the way, congrats to your daughter N2IT!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I used to study Aiki-Jujitsu with a buddy of mine for a year during high school (many moons ago). I had always wanted to get back into it...aside from the homework I did to read up Kava Maga, I saw there are a couple of reputable schools in NYC that are extremely hardcore. The one place I looked at, the sensei/instructor takes his students back to the Holy Land for seminars/training. But I think what people get out of this particular martial art from what I read is if you pick it up quickly, you can progress quickly (like with everything else)...but what you are learning in the beginning would be more than enough to deal with that drunken moron at the bar. LOL.

Thanks for this N2...and best of luck to your daughter...it sounds like no one will be messing with your family...lmao.

Did your SO do any training herself in anything?

It's funny you mention the bruises. Her legs are covered with them and sometimes other parts of her body. I hope people don't think it's me icon_sad.gif (JK)

Thanks again Robert
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    Yes, most martial arts are of little value in real-world scenarios because you are trained to follow the rules of the "sport." A criminal will always have the advantage over someone who trains for competitions because the criminal won't have any rules. However, Krav Maga is a combat system and is practical for real-world scenarios. But with any combat system, the real training is psychological as you must be prepared to use the tool of violence to injure or kill in order to survive.

By the way, congrats to your daughter N2IT!

Thanks! Appreciate the complement and I am sure she does too!