smartnet (or other possibilities) for training purposes

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
What options are out there for getting SDM and IOS versions in my home lab that would allow me to cover all exam objectives in the pursuit of cisco certifications?
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    What options are out there for getting SDM and IOS versions in my home lab that would allow me to cover all exam objectives in the pursuit of cisco certifications?

Either buy something with smartnet or buy a device that has the latest ios and the seller provides you with sdm.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Sounds more expensive than what I was hoping for, but thanks for the clarification. You would think Cisco would have some option out there for those of us who self-study!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    If you want to play around with SDM you can download it from Cisco and then download the demo tool.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A few things

1. You can't get SMARTnet for something that is EOS/EOL like most of the old routers/switches used in labs.
    2. An account with a valid SMARTnet contract on currently allows you to download everything from the Cisco site. This loophole is being closed at the start of next year and you'll only be able to download files for devices that you have a valid SMARTnet contract on.
    3. You need to relicense IOS on a secondhand device before you can get SMARTnet on it even if its a currently sold model. The IOS license isn't transferrable according to Cisco.
    4. You'd need the correct IOS feature set license as well. Just having IP Base isn't going to cut it even for CCNA if you want to do everything.
    5. Newer routers/switches have a license code based system where you have a massive unified firmware file which contains every possible feature set. You then input a device specific license code to unlock a specific feature set. You can get a one time only temporary trial license if you want.

Cisco and their licensing system is not designed to cater for home labs at all. There is no reduced cost training license at all.