Options

IE 8 keeps crashing on Windows 7 Pro

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So this is my parent's computer. Running the following:

-Windows 7 Pro
-IE 8
-Everyone logs in with a std user account

Whenever my parents use the built in search in IE 8 for things like "Facebook" and/or "Discover." They are getting the following error:
Internet Explorer stopped working, Windows is checking for solution to problem.  

Internet Explorer has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

IE then goes to a Website restore error page.

Don't believe this is a virus/spyware, I've updated both AVG and Spybot and run both and no issues.

I've done the following for IE 8:
-cleared tmp files
-tried to reset IE

Still the same results.

I've checked the IE log My Computer > Manage and no entries.

I've removed IE from Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off and have unchecked IE 8 and checked it again after rebooting it and same results.

Found the following issue here:

Internet Explorer 8 Crashes using all Search Engines. Why? Help!

However no real working solution, was wondering if anyone has run across this or has a solution.

BTW, I'm having them use either Google Chrome or Firefox and those work ok.

Also, if they use the IE 8 feature InPrivate browsing, they do not get the issue when using the search function. Also if I log in under the admin account, that account has no issue with IE 8 and searching.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    So they're using the built in search bar in the upper right? You can disable and reinstall Bing and Google I believe.

Also, I know a friend who had something similar....cept it would ALWAYS redirect to a site. But ONLY on his home network. Anytime I had it at work and tried to fix it...it just never happened. Probably a router setting that is causing it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Have you tried loading IE with no add-ons and checking the HOSTS file.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I would check using hijackthis and you can analyze the log file at hijackthis.de

Can't hurt to see if it replicates in safemode w/networking

I know this might not be ideal, but you could always copy over all their data and recreate the profile (if creating another non-admin profile works)
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    So this is my parent's computer. Running the following:

-Windows 7 Pro
    -IE 8
    -Everyone logs in with a std user account

Whenever my parents use the built in search in IE 8 for things like "Facebook" and/or "Discover." They are getting the following error:
    Internet Explorer stopped working, Windows is checking for solution to problem.  

Internet Explorer has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

IE then goes to a Website restore error page.

Don't believe this is a virus/spyware, I've updated both AVG and Spybot and run both and no issues.

I've done the following for IE 8:
    -cleared tmp files
    -tried to reset IE

Still the same results.

I've checked the IE log My Computer > Manage and no entries.

I've removed IE from Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off and have unchecked IE 8 and checked it again after rebooting it and same results.

Found the following issue here:

Internet Explorer 8 Crashes using all Search Engines. Why? Help!

However no real working solution, was wondering if anyone has run across this or has a solution.

BTW, I'm having them use either Google Chrome or Firefox and those work ok.

Also, if they use the IE 8 feature InPrivate browsing, they do not get the issue when using the search function. Also if I log in under the admin account, that account has no issue with IE 8 and searching.

thanks

Try unchecking enable memory protection to mitigate from on line attacks. I had some apps blowing up.

This is not a solution just a work around.

You started with the basics so I would move on.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is it just the seach bar or even when they go to the search engine itself?

It could also be an issue with the internet accelerators. try running IE safe mode.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Is it just the seach bar or even when they go to the search engine itself?

If they go to the webpage for the search engine, no issue.

If using the built in search engine function, then they have the issue.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I think they could probably do one of those IE apply defaults and restore default settings deals. Maybe chose a different search provider and then set it back to google. Disable all BHO and toolbars, etc. Run antivirus scan.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I bet you scans won't come up with anything. Read what I said earlier.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Based on you saying it works in the admin account i would just make a new profile using a new login name, copy anything over they normally use (favorites, mydocs, whatever, so everything is still in the same place) and try that. Honestly no one should ever use IE for regular surfing anyway, ONLY if a site doesnt work in ANY OTHER BROWSER should IE be used in my opinion.
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Had the exact same problem you did with my kids desktop. I ran Malwarebytes and found a bunch of adware and the sorts. No problems since.