If an old man can get an 881 …

BusdriverBusdriver Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
To begin with, thanks to all who have made contributions to this great forum. I’ve been lurking the past month while preparing for my Network+ exam and passed it last Wednesday with an 881. I picked up the Security+ cert in late October and on a whim decided to go for the Network+ before the year end.

Unlike you folks that have experience in IT, or those of you just beginning your training, I have enjoyed a 35 year career in a completely unrelated field to computers and IT. Heck, my first home computer was a Commodore 64 and before that in college they made me learn FORTRAN using Hollerith punched cards (most of you will have to Google that one … it’s not on any of your exams). I picked up a BSCS in my 40’s just for fun before Windows came on the scene, and since joining AARP I just finished an MSIT with a concentration in information assurance so I’d have something to talk about in the retirement home. The only network I’ve ever had hands on contact with is the wireless router sitting next to my TV. I was looking for something to exercise the mind in my old age, and found this to be an interesting ride.

So, the bottom line is I wanted to contribute to the forum by commenting on what I used to prepare for the Network+ exam. Although not mentioned in this forum, my ultimate favorite was CompTIA Network+ (N10-004) Cert Guide, by Mike Harwood. I would highly recommend this book in conjunction with CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide by Mike Meyers, which runs a close second. I did read CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-004, by Todd Lammle, but I felt he went too far beyond the CompTIA objectives and the time spent with his book could have been better invested elsewhere. Getting the honorable mention award, a great starter book is Sams Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours, by Joe Casad.

After reading these four books I viewed the entire Professor Messer video series. He has put together a spectacular presentation which helps to solidify the concepts learned from the books, as well as reiterating the various memory items required for the exam. If there is a donation button on his website, send him a couple of bucks for the effort he has provided us all (I bought the entire video series for $99 to watch on my iPod while on the road).

I also used the Transcender Network+ package during the last week of my studies. Although it did point out areas where I had weakness, I would have to say a good portion of the questions were unlike those on my exam. The actual exam was much less intense than the questions posed by Transcender. I wasn’t asked any cable lengths nor did I have to do any subnetting. I would really concentrate on the nine troubleshooting steps that are discussed. Know your protocols, ports, and the seven layers of the OSI model.

The fact that I took the Security+ exam prior to the Network+ gave me an edge going in to this, helping to reduce the total study time required. On a side note to those of you going on to Security+ … The Security+ forum gives you the impression that if you read the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide by Darril Gibson, then that is all you’ll need to pass the exam. However, if you want to really learn the material beyond that required to get the cert, I would supplement it with additional textbooks. My favorites were the CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, by Gregory White, and CompTIA Security+ 2008 In Depth, by Mark Ciampa. If you are looking for a solid foundation in security topics pick up a copy of Security in Computing, by Charles Pfleeger, as well as the CISSP brick by Shon Harris.

OK … I’m old and feeble … it is past my bedtime. Good luck to you all in your pursuits. Dedication and perseverance are the key. To succeed in your endeavors, take the additional time to LEARN the material in depth instead of just memorizing the objectives for the exams … you’ll be glad you did in the long run.

... The Old Man
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Not bad for an old guy! icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Busdriver wrote: »
    To begin with, thanks to all who have made contributions to this great forum. I’ve been lurking the past month while preparing for my Network+ exam and passed it last Wednesday with an 881. I picked up the Security+ cert in late October and on a whim decided to go for the Network+ before the year end.

Unlike you folks that have experience in IT, or those of you just beginning your training, I have enjoyed a 35 year career in a completely unrelated field to computers and IT. Heck, my first home computer was a Commodore 64 and before that in college they made me learn FORTRAN using Hollerith punched cards (most of you will have to Google that one … it’s not on any of your exams). I picked up a BSCS in my 40’s just for fun before Windows came on the scene, and since joining AARP I just finished an MSIT with a concentration in information assurance so I’d have something to talk about in the retirement home. The only network I’ve ever had hands on contact with is the wireless router sitting next to my TV. I was looking for something to exercise the mind in my old age, and found this to be an interesting ride.

So, the bottom line is I wanted to contribute to the forum by commenting on what I used to prepare for the Network+ exam. Although not mentioned in this forum, my ultimate favorite was CompTIA Network+ (N10-004) Cert Guide, by Mike Harwood. I would highly recommend this book in conjunction with CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide by Mike Meyers, which runs a close second. I did read CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-004, by Todd Lammle, but I felt he went too far beyond the CompTIA objectives and the time spent with his book could have been better invested elsewhere. Getting the honorable mention award, a great starter book is Sams Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours, by Joe Casad.

After reading these four books I viewed the entire Professor Messer video series. He has put together a spectacular presentation which helps to solidify the concepts learned from the books, as well as reiterating the various memory items required for the exam. If there is a donation button on his website, send him a couple of bucks for the effort he has provided us all (I bought the entire video series for $99 to watch on my iPod while on the road).

I also used the Transcender Network+ package during the last week of my studies. Although it did point out areas where I had weakness, I would have to say a good portion of the questions were unlike those on my exam. The actual exam was much less intense than the questions posed by Transcender. I wasn’t asked any cable lengths nor did I have to do any subnetting. I would really concentrate on the nine troubleshooting steps that are discussed. Know your protocols, ports, and the seven layers of the OSI model.

The fact that I took the Security+ exam prior to the Network+ gave me an edge going in to this, helping to reduce the total study time required. On a side note to those of you going on to Security+ … The Security+ forum gives you the impression that if you read the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide by Darril Gibson, then that is all you’ll need to pass the exam. However, if you want to really learn the material beyond that required to get the cert, I would supplement it with additional textbooks. My favorites were the CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, by Gregory White, and CompTIA Security+ 2008 In Depth, by Mark Ciampa. If you are looking for a solid foundation in security topics pick up a copy of Security in Computing, by Charles Pfleeger, as well as the CISSP brick by Shon Harris.

OK … I’m old and feeble … it is past my bedtime. Good luck to you all in your pursuits. Dedication and perseverance are the key. To succeed in your endeavors, take the additional time to LEARN the material in depth instead of just memorizing the objectives for the exams … you’ll be glad you did in the long run.

... The Old Man

I enjoyed reading your post!!! Congratz on your pass!!!
  • bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your information on the materials and study guides is really helpful and I enjoyed reading about your journey. This is what I love to hear! Congratulations!

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't believe in "over-preparation" but damn, you sure did study!
    That is pretty badass. Nice score also, that is nuts.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)