Options

CCNA Study Method

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

been a while since i posted on here. Iv'e been so busy reading and doing stuff i havnt had the time ^.^;

Anyway, I'm focusing on the CCNA at the moment. I have already done a ton of revision (Assorted) and have finally come up with a study method. It is simmilar to the one i used for my Microsoft exams, which i will eventually have to go back to.. Anyway, Just wanted to run it by some of you to see what you thought? Maybe you have suggestions?

---

1. Browse net for information on CCNA. See other peoples ways of studying, websites that offer study tools. Take notes.

2. Get reccommended books to read. (Not used for intensive study, but for background reading and concept explanations)

3. Watch CBT videos and take notes.

4. Record all notes and organise them. Compile study notes and test software. (Test software can be made using Visual Cert Exam Suite, which is awesome) - (Also, can i note that this test software should be used the same for microsoft exams in the way which you use repetative testing to remember / retain acronyms, explanations and information better)

5. Either use Simulated or physical hardware for command based labs and IOS testing. (Cisco command line pocket guide book useful for this)

---

I don't mind others using this learning process. Anybody here do anything different to learn? Any suggestions?

Smart people are Smart because they have more than one way to learn. They know which method is best for a given scenario..

Surely there are people here who have tried and tested metholds? :P
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HI i Studied CCNA Networking Academy by Cisco, had access to netlab-routers and switches on-line, practised by Cisco Packet Tracer and finally did lots of different quiz,labs which I Founded on the Internet.

Best Regards
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    I must be on the right track then! ANybody else care to join in?
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    iGlade21iGlade21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also took the Cisco Net Academy classes, but i also get additional training from freeccnaworkbook. It is a great site that have labs that you can practice on. Best of all, it teaches you GNS3 which should help you once you try to go for CCNA or other Cisco certs
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I read ~30 pages a day from Odom's book and do the memorization tables out of the appendix (10 - 15 minutes a day of memorizing) and have been watching Jeremy Ciora's CBT Nugget ICND1 videos (1 per day). Haven't begun labbing yet, but I will be using Free CCNA Workbook and the lab workbook from Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers.

If I just read and watched videos I know I'd fail with no experience whatsoever icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    When I studied for my CCNA, I had went through the Cisco networking academy and read various books (Office Study Guide, Exam Cram [all of them], a book from Macgraw hill, with various quick guides and Q&A books), also practiced with packet tracer.. and a little experience at work with routers at the time.

You definitely want to read to learn, then do some simulators/labs to actually do it, and some questions (allow with understanding why the correct is what is and why the incorrect answers are wrong)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    labbing is the key to passing :)

anything else is for memorizing the tech stuff.

this is the impression i get.
  • Options
    jbylsmajbylsma Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think a study method should be custom to a persons learning style. It's taken me a while to learn what works best for myself but I think I've found a great method going forward.

I'm a guy who needs to have a good understanding of the big picture before I get into specifics. If your the same way I would recommend starting off with a good CBT (CBT Nuggets was awesome) however don't look to a CBT to be able to really answer test questions.

Graduate from CBT to a book, highlight the hell out of important concepts and re-read them, make sure you don't advance to the next topic until you fully understand the previous.

BUY A CISCO ROUTER AND A SWITCH. you can find used devices for cheap on ebay, craigslist ect. Truly understanding the IOS command structure and what each command will provide you is the key to passing the ICND2 which I admittedly failed recently because of bad time management.

The Cisco path I'm finding is really tough, but thats also what makes it great :)
  • Options
    sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    jbylsma wrote: »
    I think a study method should be custom to a persons learning style. It's taken me a while to learn what works best for myself but I think I've found a great method going forward.

I'm a guy who needs to have a good understanding of the big picture before I get into specifics. If your the same way I would recommend starting off with a good CBT (CBT Nuggets was awesome) however don't look to a CBT to be able to really answer test questions.

Graduate from CBT to a book, highlight the hell out of important concepts and re-read them, make sure you don't advance to the next topic until you fully understand the previous.

BUY A CISCO ROUTER AND A SWITCH. you can find used devices for cheap on ebay, craigslist ect. Truly understanding the IOS command structure and what each command will provide you is the key to passing the ICND2 which I admittedly failed recently because of bad time management.

The Cisco path I'm finding is really tough, but thats also what makes it great :)

I actually have no network experience whatsoever (I come from an accounting background). Do you have any suggestions as to which router/switch to buy? Or does it really matter as long as I can start practicing on the IOS commands?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sentimetal wrote: »
    I actually have no network experience whatsoever (I come from an accounting background). Do you have any suggestions as to which router/switch to buy? Or does it really matter as long as I can start practicing on the IOS commands?

Start with the stickies or do a search. There's thousands of threads about which routers and switches to buy, and they're all full of great advice. Here's one:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61388-complete-newb-setting-up-home-lab-ccna.html