Rough career advice.

Hi all,

I'm just after a little bit of an insight, from those in the know, about the best paths to take in the fields of Security and Wireless (as i believe they go hand in hand with the advancements in wifi and the protocols that are soon to be released late 2011). I have read through the forums regarding the Info sec path - mainly with physical/network security and have found a lot of great information.

Currently I am studying towards CompTIA Security+ and CCNA (and eventually Net+ and A+ for vendor neutral certifications), my position at work is as a network administrator/technician within a Cisco centric environment. As this is with the Defence I have great exposure to security and methods for encryption etc. and I would like to continue in the field of network security.

At some stage I would also like to amalgamate this with VoIP (CCNA: Voice, E|CVP)

I have plans to work towards CCNP, and pick up CCNA: Security and Wireless and C|EH and I may look at the CWNP certifications as well.

So in closing, are there any pointers one could yield for certifications/training/experience relating to security and wireless?

Thanks for any help that can be provided. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an odd one. If you can get the CCNA, and you want to do networking: skip the A+ and N+. They will be a waste of time when you should be going for CCNA+S.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your work is cisco centric, then go after all the CCNP and CCDP. You can skip the CompTIA certification, but take the security+.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Kasor wrote: »
    If your work is cisco centric, then go after all the CCNP and CCDP. You can skip the CompTIA certification, but take the security+.

My current employment is Cisco based - being with the Defense they love Cisco.

My goal is to not just focus on one vendor, sure be experienced in it, but also have the underlying capability to perform the same level of work on other vendor equipment and the varying inherent technologies. Not all employers want someone who is solely Cisco certified, CompTIA certs will surely help with some interviews.

Hence for Sec+ and possible A+ (to build up to Server+) before I get deep into the world of Cisco with CCSP and CCDP.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I agree with the other posters , I you pick up CCNA first A+ and certainly Net+ are kind of a waste but at the same time if your employer is paying for your exams go for it . I just would not waste to much time studying for them. Good luck dude stick with cisco its the bomb diggty
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    Perhaps the Net+ might be superfluous.

Cisco is definitely the bomb, i'm pretty keen to get into CCSP and CCVP! CCIE would be pretty awesome icon_smile.gif
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    Perhaps the Net+ might be superfluous.

Cisco is definitely the bomb, i'm pretty keen to get into CCSP and CCVP! CCIE would be pretty awesome icon_smile.gif

If you are interested in security, you should check out offensive security. They have security certifications starting at the penetration testing level. I really don't know the difference between them and EC-Council but i will let you decide which is right for you.

I thought getting the net+ was a waste if i was going the ccna route but i was told by a previous employer that had both certs and then some to get both. He told me the CCNA is good for networking(especially since its your environment as well) but the NET+ is, as it states, vendor neutral. In his eyes, even though he was a cisco professional, that certification is better because it gives you the base and focuses on networking as a whole, not just through cisco`s eyes lol. You seem to be pretty established in the cisco world so personally i wouldn't bother with it, unless my boss paid for it.

i think you should only get the A+ if your interested in any kind of laptop or desktop repair. Your standings on networking shouldn't really affect that decision.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Yeah well at the moment my skill set is Cisco, however when I decided to leave the defence force I want to be able to keep my options open - thats where the Net+ comes into play, but I have also been told that if you have the skills, why not get certified for it as well

The A+ i think i would like to get for the computer technical standpoint, as that is an 'on the side hobby' of mine, plus i like the option of going down the server path as well as security. I like to keep my options open.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    If you are interested in security, you should check out offensive security. They have security certifications starting at the penetration testing level. I really don't know the difference between them and EC-Council but i will let you decide which is right for you.

Offensive Security is going to teach you a lot more hand's on and by all means is better for "Skills Gained", but sadly nobody really knows about OSCP.

CEH on the other hand has picked up a lot of popularity due to it being added to DDoD 8570 for Computer Network Defense Service Providers (CNDSP) required for all their technical positions.

So in a perfect world id say OSCP, but for somebody starting out CEH would be recognized better since its in DDoD 8570.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember, the key is to maintain the job. After you have proficient your career in your position. Then time to expand...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Offensive Security is going to teach you a lot more hand's on and by all means is better for "Skills Gained", but sadly nobody really knows about OSCP.

CEH on the other hand has picked up a lot of popularity due to it being added to DDoD 8570 for Computer Network Defense Service Providers (CNDSP) required for all their technical positions.

So in a perfect world id say OSCP, but for somebody starting out CEH would be recognized better since its in DDoD 8570.

I've become interested in CEH and that is something I will be picking up during my Masters Degree before I intend on looking further at OSCP and maybe even some advance wireless certs - CWSP/CWNE and CCNP: Wireless for example.

However seeing as though i'm with the Australian Defence Force, the directive doesnt apply to me.

Im glad to be getting so much feedbakc regarding my OP :D which I greatly appreciated.