Any one Read this one: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any one read this book? some one recommended it...

Certification Book: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide By Don Poulton
Windows 7 is here to stay and getting adopted by more large businesses each day. Many of those businesses are making the transition from Windows XP after foregoing Windows Vista years back. With Windows XP having been around for so long, this means that for the first time in many years, administrators are looking at large desktop OS rollouts that often entail replacing hardware, reconfiguring applications and much more.

To make all of this happen, the demand for certified administrators in Windows 7 is growing, and the best certification exam to start the pursuit with is 70-680 (TS: Windows 7, Configuring). To address this exam, Don Poulton has written MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring, and it is exceptional. The 18 chapters cover what you need to know -- for the real world as well as the exam world -- with plenty of tables and figures to make it understandable the first time you read it. The quizzes appear at the beginning of each chapter rather than the end, so if you know all the answers you can elect to skip that chapter. Each chapter then ends with a list of key topics and terms you should know. If I have any complaint it is that I would like to see the definitions for the key terms at the end of the chapters and not just the terms themselves. Yes, I can look them up in the glossary or look back for them in the chapter, but the lazy side of me wishes they were there.

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    First I've heard of it. Given the other choices being riddled with errors or lacking pertinent details, I'd say another source would probably not do you any harm than the MS Press and the Sybex offerings. I'd probably pick it up for no other reasons than those.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Fairly new, Nov 2010. Subscribing in case someone reviews it.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like it just came out in Oct. No reviews on Amazon, BN, etc. My local BN has it in stock, so might pick it up since its 39.11, and there's a 25% off coupon from BN in my email today.
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just ordered this book to study for the 70-680. Based on the poor reviews of the other books, and this book being newer (and hopefully more relevant to the current exam) i'm hoping I made a good choice.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    shaX 07 wrote: »
    I just ordered this book to study for the 70-680. Based on the poor reviews of the other books, and this book being newer (and hopefully more relevant to the current exam) i'm hoping I made a good choice.

I ordered this book and it just arrived today (Super fast USPS shipping for once) I will use this and train signal for my studies, and labs of course. My plan is to sit for the test by the 11th maybe the 14th. I will re-post with my results. I hope the book helps.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    I ordered this book and it just arrived today (Super fast USPS shipping for once) I will use this and train signal for my studies, and labs of course. My plan is to sit for the test by the 11th maybe the 14th. I will re-post with my results. I hope the book helps.

so you're only studying for about 10 days for this test?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    so you're only studying for about 10 days for this test?

No, i have been using Train Signal for about two weeks or so. I was going to watch the entire series once and then follow along the second time as they walk you through the labs, until I heard of a this new book.

I also studied for this test a few months ago(I have also used Win 7 everyday since June) but after all the errors and missing commands from the MS press book I said later. Plus i was looking for a job and awaiting the arrival of a new born so my plate was full. That was back in June. I didn't get my Net+ until Nov and my Security+ until this month.

I am catching up on to my goal though. If i pass this one by the 11th, that`ll be 3 certs in 3 months.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

No, i have been using Train Signal for about two weeks or so. I was going to watch the entire series once and then follow along the second time as they walk you through the labs, until I heard of a this new book.

I also studied for this test a few months ago(I have also used Win 7 everyday since June) but after all the errors and missing commands from the MS press book I said later. Plus i was looking for a job and awaiting the arrival of a new born so my plate was full. That was back in June. I didn't get my Net+ until Nov and my Security+ until this month.

I am catching up on to my goal though. If i pass this one by the 11th, that`ll be 3 certs in 3 months.

How are you liking this book so far? I'm still in the 1st chapter but I like the book thus far. The material is presented well and easy to follow...
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    shaX 07 wrote: »
    How are you liking this book so far? I'm still in the 1st chapter but I like the book thus far. The material is presented well and easy to follow...

It's not bad at all. The tests at the beginning of the chapter are a little unorthodox but I take them twice so it seems to be helping. I like the tables that you have to fill out at the end of the chapters. That was a nice touch. Tomorrow and Thursday I will try to folow the lab to do a system deployment. Hopefully it will go better than the MS press books.icon_lol.gif

It's not bad at all. The tests at the beginning of the chapter are a little unorthodox but I take them twice so it seems to be helping. I like the tables that you have to fill out at the end of the chapters. That was a nice touch. Tomorrow and Thursday I will try to folow the lab to do a system deployment. Hopefully it will go better than the MS press books.icon_lol.gif

Keep us posted man, sounds like it's a good book so far.

I'm just now installing Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode on my Windows 7 Professional Laptop.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I hope its good. Just ordered it.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend that you get the MS Self Study book as well even if this book is better/newer.
  • xrilekxrilek Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know it's an old thread but didn't want to start a new one. Reviews seem to be really good now after all these years. My question is, is it accurate?? I read in here and generally in reviews about other books that they are outdated, missing a few bits and pieces here and there. Also, the CD with the practice exam is it like a simulation of the real one or just easy questions to help you understand the material??