Options

Free TACACS+ server?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Is there a free TACACS+ server that can be download?
I am going to need it for my CCNA:S studies.
Or should I use RADIUS server instead?

If I go to RADIUS, do you guys have any recommendations? It has to be a freeware.

Thank you.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    FreeRADIUS for radius and this for TACACS+.

Thanks for this!
    Lab on!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Windows Server 2000+ does RADIUS -- install Internet Authentication Services (IAS). AD integrated.
  • Options
    Thanks guys

EDIT:
    And Merry X-mas to all
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could always download the trial of Cisco ACS that you can install on Windows Server and integrate into a plethora of authentication databases (Windows local SAM, Active Directory, NDS, etc).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    I tried to download the Cisco ACS 4.2.1.15.3, but it ask me if I have a valid Technical Support Services Agreement; and I don't have it.
    That is why I am looking for some freeware TACACS+ server or RADIUS.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    thehourman wrote: »
    I tried to download the Cisco ACS 4.2.1.15.3, but it ask me if I have a valid Technical Support Services Agreement; and I don't have it.
    That is why I am looking for some freeware TACACS+ server or RADIUS.

TACACS+ is Cisco Proprietary, so the ACS server would be your only options for TACACS+.. You could try requesting a trial.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    TACACS+ is Cisco Proprietary, so the ACS server would be your only options for TACACS+.. You could try requesting a trial.

TACACS+ was Cisco proprietary. See my link above.
  • Options
    uaeitsecuaeitsec Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The guys at tacacs.net have an excellent free and easy to use windows based server. I have posted instructions on how to do a simple setup at Network Security Using TACACS – Part 2 | Securing What Matters.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using a thrown-together CentOS build running the tac_plus package to act as my TACACS+ server. Seems to be working fine so far, and it cost me nothing.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Windows Server 2000+ does RADIUS -- install Internet Authentication Services (IAS). AD integrated.

If you're a current student, look into Dreamspark. You should be able to get a free copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 [assuming its still on Dreamspark]. If not, you can still download a Trial version. You can install Windows Server 2008 R2 in a Virtual Machine and then run sysprep. Then, just make a backup copy of the VM, which you can use if you need to start over. Much faster than reinstalling from scratch.

I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on a laptop and configured it as a Domain Controller, Root Certificate Authority, RADIUS Server, and Web/FTP Server, Syslog Server (Separate Software), and TFTP Server (Separate Software)..
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]