Options

Network installation/Unattended installation

Sorry folks, I still dont get this:

I am trying to install W2kpro over the network, I have one machine with the Folder named W2000p containing the files of the i/386 folder, and a target computer also 2kPro, formateted with FAT 32, I connect to the other 2kpro machine (Distribution server) and locate the W2000P folder with the i\386 files, now what do I do next, Run Winnt.exe from command prompt or from Start>Programs>Run or do I connect to a file, like setup in the i\386 folder? please could someone run through this or clarify a few things .

TIA icon_rolleyes.gif
Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ok, slow down...
    when you run setup from DOS/16bit ( you boot your computer with a bootable floppy like win98 bootdisk ) -> specify where you put the source file ( i386 ) on the distro server and run winnt.exe

ex. if you put the distro folder on local drive :
    A:\>x:\w2000pro\i386\winnt.exe ->where x:\ is your partition where you put the distribution folder.

but :
    1.you must format your drive/partition with FAT because NTFS cant be accessed by win98 bootdisk ( or most bootdisk )
    2.if you try to install on different machine then you have to have a PXE enable NIC, TCP/IP configured OK etc...

if you r in Windows -> point run to the path where you put the i386 on the network and find that winnt32.exe.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Great help chaps, sorted it out now, great site this, keep it up, and I always tell people about it. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"