Options

Frustrating first experience w/Linux

2»

Comments

• Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Yes you can create a repeater out of specific wireless routers that have the hardware capability. It is not suggested to do this because you are effectively halving your bandwidth for the targets that are receiving the repeated frames.

Universal Wireless Repeater - DD-WRT Wiki

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Yeah I came across some stuff like that. I guess I'm going to put it on hold for now (Linux) at least until I have a free day off. The break is over, I have class stuff that cannot wait so I figure that is more important. I sure did get a grueling intro to Linux operations though. Looks crazy interesting, can't wait to read some books and get a little more well equipped.

-MickeyC
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A different possibility would be to create a bridged Ethernet network. Look for two SOHO indooor Omnidirectional wireless bridges and connect your modem to one and your upstairs network by Ethernet to the other one.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    A different possibility would be to create a bridged Ethernet network. Look for two SOHO indooor Omnidirectional wireless bridges and connect your modem to one and your upstairs network by Ethernet to the other one.

Thanks!, I'll print that out and consider that as a project if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure if the drivers are the issue now. I've found multiple solutions to my driver issue through research and none of them have worked for me. So I am thinking the probability of it being a driver issue is fairly low now. I can't say for sure since I don't have a solid understanding of Linux, but that's where I'm leaning at the moment.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you made any progress on this? If not I highly suggest asking on one of the Ubuntu support IRC channels:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelList

I'm sure someone there could get you going in a matter of minutes.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Well, my original post introduced the hardware-support argument...here, have some new material...

I have no incentive to run linux. What's the point?

I install linux once a year. It runs for two days. Then some minor set-back reminds me that there's really no point to my tinkering.
  • Options
    Have you made any progress on this? If not I highly suggest asking on one of the Ubuntu support IRC channels:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelList

Thanks MentholMoose I'll check that out when I get a moment. I appreciate your reply. Also, I like your cat.
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Well, my original post introduced the hardware-support argument...here, have some new material...

I install linux once a year. It runs for two days. Then some minor set-back reminds me that there's really no point to my tinkering.

Hi Hypnotoad, I checked out a list here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsDlink
    People seem to get it working but every thread I read and try never works. The reasons I installed Linux is due to the fact that I have a Linux Administration class coming up and wanted at least a little experience with it, plus I figured the command line practice would help me with my other class. Whether I end up liking it or not depends on further experience with it. I also figured I would come across it someday in my travels as well. Thanks for you replies! Also, I like your cat as well, but he looks upset.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So who is Cisco's Apple?

Watch out for Brocade
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

I installed Ubuntu on my Asus Eee because it is a lot smaller than XP. On an 8GB HDD it makes a big difference.

Also wanted to feel like a big man by running a Linux distr.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hi Hypnotoad, I checked out a list here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsDlink
    The reasons I installed Linux is due to the fact that I have a Linux Administration class coming up and wanted at least a little experience with it, plus I figured the command line practice would help me with my other class. Whether I end up liking it or not depends on further experience with it. I also figured I would come across it someday in my travels as well. Thanks for you replies! Also, I like your cat as well, but he looks upset.

I admire your hacker spirit. Everyone should know at least a little Linux. I impress my coworkers by typing "ls -a" on an appliance we're working on. It's awesome. One time I whipped out "top" and saved the day.

The cat might be upset -- that's just what my mom told me a lot when I was a kid. We were running Linux. (kidding)

Edit: before you guys flame me too badly, I wrote my MS thesis about linux. Software engineering dynamics in linux development. I was well versed in it.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    damn, im glad i saw this. im about to install ubantu on my old laptop, but it has a pcmcia linksys WPC54G ver3. the list says no support, but this looks like it hasnt been updated in 5 years. can anyone verify that i'll be able to get that wireless card working?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsLinksys#PCMCIA
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try Linux MINT. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Watch out for Brocade

Are they nice? How similar are they to cisco?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

The tinkering is the whole point! I enjoy messing around with it and trying to make things work (even if its mostly googling for the answer). If you are not the type of person that likes to mess around and find ways to make stuff work then yeah, Windows is the OS for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.