Options

What do I do now?

IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster. This site has been very helpful for me in getting motivated to get going and pass certifications. I recently passed both the A+ and Network+ certification, and have figured I wouldn't be able to properly study and pass the Security+ certification before the New Year. I am studying Computer Security at Ivy Tech Community College (associates degree) here in Indiana. I am kinda confused on what I should do now. Should I still go for the Security+ exam? I have interned at a place in high school, and worked for a CCTV company for 6 months before the company went under, and have been working for a water company delivering product for 5 years now, so my experience in the field is lacking. After I graduate from Ivy Tech in the summer, I was gonna look into WGU. Any help on what certs I should or shouldn't attempt would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster. This site has been very helpful for me in getting motivated to get going and pass certifications. I recently passed both the A+ and Network+ certification, and have figured I wouldn't be able to properly study and pass the Security+ certification before the New Year. I am studying Computer Security at Ivy Tech Community College (associates degree) here in Indiana. I am kinda confused on what I should do now. Should I still go for the Security+ exam? I have interned at a place in high school, and worked for a CCTV company for 6 months before the company went under, and have been working for a water company delivering product for 5 years now, so my experience in the field is lacking. After I graduate from Ivy Tech in the summer, I was gonna look into WGU. Any help on what certs I should or shouldn't attempt would be greatly appreciated.

Let's rephrase this question. Why should you not prepare for and pass the Security+ exam?

Do you intend to continue with security, or are you going to branch out into the Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper, Linux world? That should be your main consideration in considering what certs to pursue next.

...but it seems to me like your next big challenge will be getting out of your current job and into I.T.

Experience would be (arguably) more valuable than either a degree at WGU or more certs.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    TrystanQuinnTrystanQuinn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I myself just passed Security+ last week and am doing Network+ now (largely because I took a college class on it a year and change ago but didn't bother to take the test). What is the logical step after Security+ to continue in the field? I am planning on taking a CCNA and CISSP class through my college and was going to do CCNA cert and then study for CCNA-S then worry about getting the (ISC)^2 Associate after taking the CISSP class. Is this silly or somewhat logical?

Edit: Oh and to the OP, I'd do Security+ if you are going the security route, everything I've seen about it says it THE best intro Security cert to go after to get your feet wet.