Options

VirtualBox 4.0 on OS X & Olive

MrPaulMrPaul Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've got 2 olives up and mostly working. They boot fine and I can ping between two olives. However, when I attempt to bring up OSPF it doesn't work.

The network is setup as "internal network" and I tried all the Intel adapters. Each olive does have a unique mac address.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at moving all my olives from qemu as this screams compared to that any my cpu isn't 100%.

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    MrPaul wrote: »
    I've got 2 olives up and mostly working. They boot fine and I can ping between two olives. However, when I attempt to bring up OSPF it doesn't work.

The network is setup as "internal network" and I tried all the Intel adapters. Each olive does have a unique mac address.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at moving all my olives from qemu as this screams compared to that any my cpu isn't 100%.

I do believe a lot of virtualization options have issues with anything using multicast. QEMU has to be patched to use multicast, and I know VMware implementations have similar issues (don't know the latest on whether that works or not at the moment).

On a related note, I moved to a new home server for these kind of things, and Qemu with hardware virtualization now blazes compared to what it used to be like on the old one, from start to boot in 10 seconds easily with Olives.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Would you mind sharing your server specs. CPU, RAM, # of olives you can run, and anything else that may be relevant. I've got qemu working fine with networking but the box it's on now just can't cut it as I don't think the processor supports virtualization (or it's just too old).

My server
    - Intel Xeon CPU 2.80GHz
    -- Shows up as 8 CPUs in Ubuntu
    - 6Gb RAM
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if that Xeon couldn't support it, but if it doesn't, my specs are

i5-760
    8GB RAM

As far as a number of olives, I've not tested it to its limits yet, due to lots of issues over Christmas, but each olive runs about 15% of 1 core, and I have 4 cores, so I'd say we're looking at least 20 comfortably, and could push it to 25 creatively.

• Options
    Just thought I'd update on this, as I gave my server a good test last night. It had 9 Ciscos in Dynamips (7200s, 12.4T image), 5 Juniper olives and 3 Vyatta routers all running at the same time. I hit about 50-60% CPU usage, and the CPU temperature climbed from the idle 33 degrees celcius to 41 degrees celcius.

The olives barely put a dent in the process, most of the CPU usage came from the Ciscos, I could have easily ran about 20 olives on there if required.

• Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have VirtualBox setup on Debian on an hp-xw8200 in my basement and I have had no issues at all with it...

I don't know if its v4.0... its the latest Debian version (5.x). I don't remember what NICs I picked, I'll verify that...

Sorry, one other thing, I am running JUNOS 9.6 I believe (replaced that file with 'true' and all of that).
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    If you'll let me know the exact version you're using, the NIC, and network type I'd appreciate it. I'll duplicate that on VirtualBox 4.0 on OSX and see if multicast works.
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Junos 8.5, Virtual-Box 3.2.12, Debian 5, and Intel 1000 MT Server NIC

If I get time, I'll try a newer version of Junos with virtual-box 4.0.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)