Options

Seriously.. May release date???

tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
So i just passed my QoS exam today.. interersting but boring at the same time.

but now im stuck.. Cvoice/Qos out the way.. leaves Cipt 1/2 and TUC.

right now..per amazon, if you search for 642-447 (v8.0).. release date MAY 2011.

I was thinking I should just go and get v6.0 and take that test before feb 28th but then how off/different will it be when i want to take citp 2 and tuc? would i need the knowledge of cipt1 v8 to properly continue cipt2 v8 and Tshoot?

advice please! ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the QoS Pass!! icon_cheers.gif

My head hurts just looking at the TVOICE blueprint and the V8 features. icon_lol.gif

One way or another you're going to have to learn the V8 features -- unless you slam the CIPT1/2 & TUC before the end of February.

Edit: I just did a quick search on Safari and didn't find any Rough Cuts -- but searching for CCNP Voice does bring up lots of useless CCNP links. TVOICE had no hits.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks!

Yeah.. NO way i can finish all three by end of feb,.,. thats like bootcamp style which is good for nothing .. paper head admin! lol ..the way im going right now is Cipt 6.0 done by feb.. then i am not sure how much of an impact its going to be to take cipt 8.0 / TSHOOT after.

is anyone else out there in the same boat as me?
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tokhss wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yeah.. NO way i can finish all three by end of feb,.,. thats like bootcamp style which is good for nothing .. paper head admin! lol ..the way im going right now is Cipt 6.0 done by feb.. then i am not sure how much of an impact its going to be to take cipt 8.0 / TSHOOT after.

I'm hoping to get QoS done early Jan, and then I'll have CIPT2, CVOICE, and TUC remaining. I'll probably go for CVOICE next to get it before the v8 change over. Then I'll do CIPT2 and the new TVOICE for the rest of the year.

Congrats on the QoS exam! I hope I don't get any surprises.

My job is doing a v8 install this month, hopefully it will be done soon. That will help alot when it comes to my v8 studies!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    i am not sure how much of an impact its going to be to take cipt 8.0 / TSHOOT after.
    It will be a HUGH impact and surprise if you take TSHOOT -- that's the CCNP Troubleshooting exam. TVOICE is the "new and improved" TUC for the CCNP Voice. icon_lol.gif

I still can't find the rough cuts for the CIPT1 v8 or CIPT 2 v8 Study Guides on Safari -- but they have a couple more days in December to show up. If they do come out, and you have Safari, then you'd at least have something to look at and compare to your CIPT1 v6 studies -- which would help if you then when for the CIPT2 v8.
  • Options
    Damn right it will.. I do telecom work but I dont touch Cisco right now.. I primarly work with Alcatel / Lucent core ATM switches and Fujitsu, Alcatel ,Marconi DSLAMs.

We have another department that does all UCM/Cisco deployments.. Its a tier 3 job and im itching for a spot.

Its all about the experience.. stick with that V8 path and hold on to it.. learn as much as you can.. Experience + Certs.. cant beat that!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It will be a HUGH impact and surprise if you take TSHOOT -- that's the CCNP Troubleshooting exam. TVOICE is the "new and improved" TUC for the CCNP Voice. icon_lol.gif

I still can't find the rough cuts for the CIPT1 v8 or CIPT 2 v8 Study Guides on Safari -- but they have a couple more days in December to show up. If they do come out, and you have Safari, then you'd at least have something to look at and compare to your CIPT1 v6 studies -- which would help if you then when for the CIPT2 v8.

****.. thats not what i wanted to hear..

so wth do i do? sit around for the next few months and do nothing? or continue and go for my cipt1 ?

whats this safari you keep talking about? not the browser right? LOL

cisco really knows how to mess things up.. they should release the info like NOW!
  • Options
    i just peeped the differences between 8.0 and 6.0 and it appears 8.0 has less material ? it doesnt appear to big a major difference..

i think i will continue with 6.0 and buy 8.0 when it arrives.. compare the differences and read up on whats needed. Kinda like a 6.0 + bonus pack ... then continue with cipt2 and tshoot.
  • Options
    so wth do i do? sit around for the next few months and do nothing? or continue and go for my cipt1 ?

whats this safari you keep talking about? not the browser right? LOL
    Your CIPT1 v6 --> CIPT2 v8 -->TVOICE path is probably the best option. Start on the CIPT1 v6 and worry about v8 for the CIPT2 -- but if you have both servers in your lab, then it's the best of both worlds. You can use the Cisco Docs as a reference for the v8 features you notice as you study for the v6 CIPT1.

Safari, as in Safari Books Online. The rough cuts they mention on the Cisco Press CCNP Voice page are/will be available on SafariBooksOnline.com
    • CIPT1 Self Study Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming December 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming April 2011
    • CIPT2 642-457 Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • CIPT2 Self Study Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming December 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming April 2011
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749

I'm doing the same thing right now... and decided to proceed with CIPT6.0 in the interim. We have an 8.0(3) deployment at work. What I can tell you is that so far, 186 pages into the 6.0 Study Guide, there hasn't been a single difference in the screenshots / configs between the 6.0 Guide and the 8.0 GUI.

Based on my findings, I suggest not waiting... get the ball rolling.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.. appreciate it.

Next question..

which book does everyone recommend I get?

the official Cisco press book created in 2008 by Dennis Hartmman?
  • Options
    Your CIPT1 v6 --> CIPT2 v8 -->TVOICE path is probably the best option. Start on the CIPT1 v6 and worry about v8 for the CIPT2 -- but if you have both servers in your lab, then it's the best of both worlds. You can use the Cisco Docs as a reference for the v8 features you notice as you study for the v6 CIPT1.

Safari, as in Safari Books Online. The rough cuts they mention on the Cisco Press CCNP Voice page are/will be available on SafariBooksOnline.com

Def going to check out safari right now =)
  • Options
    geezer301geezer301 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CIPT1 642-447 Self Study Guide rough cut is avaliable on Safari today.
  • Options
    so far the first 10 pages are identical LOL.. gonna keep skimming through.. Im startting to think that my Cipt1 v6.0 to cipt 2 v8.0 path wont be much of an impact.

thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    The CIPT2 642-457 rough cut with the first 3 chapters is available on Safari now.

So is the new CVOICE 642-437 book with the first 6 chapters. Chapters 7 & 8 are Intro to QoS and Configuring QoS Mechanisms.
  • Options
    The CIPT2 642-457 rough cut with the first 3 chapters is available on Safari now.

So is the new CVOICE 642-437 book with the first 6 chapters. Chapters 7 & 8 are Intro to QoS and Configuring QoS Mechanisms.

Thank you =)