Options

Iphone Verizon?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CDMA iPhone 4 so make sure you're buying the right one! :D

Good that there finally some decent competition against AT&T though in the iPhone arena.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I'm still surprised this actually happened. however my wife is very happy that in roughly a year she'll be able to get an iPhone and stay with Verizon. I still just wish she would drop Verizon, but, can't win em all.
  • Options
    Yeah. Verizon and the other CDMA carriers must be paying Apple big bucks for them to bother making a CDMA version.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not a big AT&T fan, so I'm glad this is happening. I have never had a single problem with Verizon.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I'm not a big AT&T fan, so I'm glad this is happening. I have never had a single problem with Verizon.

same here love verizon service and coverage in my area

now if they would open up the app store were any one can make stuff with apple approving every thing like the droid id switch
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I'm very angry they arent offering any upgrade deals. Existing verizon customers like my family have to pay full retail price PLUS the early upgrade fee. Totally not right.

I would upgrade if it only cost me the price of the phone, but come on.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    A big spoiler for some: verizon's iphone cannot make calls and roam web at the same time.
    Would you still get verizon iphone after this kind of downgrade?
  • Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    its only a temporarily problem, from what I've heard from news articles online that a new CDMA standard will be coming out that will allow both voice and data simultaneously. I could be wrong though after all its just rumors.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    brad- wrote: »
    I'm very angry they arent offering any upgrade deals. Existing verizon customers like my family have to pay full retail price PLUS the early upgrade fee. Totally not right.

I would upgrade if it only cost me the price of the phone, but come on.

They've raped consumers on the iPhone with ATT...why not continue on this carrier? People will pay. icon_sad.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    SteveLord wrote: »
    They've raped consumers on the iPhone with ATT...why not continue on this carrier? People will pay. icon_sad.gif

He's right. Plus, why gripe now? Verizon releases new phones constantly. Id imagine for 90% of the phones released you are in a contract and would have to pay full retail on ANY of those phones to get them. Why should iPhone be any different? If you want the phone, pony up the dough. Those are the rules, you signed the contract.

Personally (well, my wife) has never had a problem with verizon's WIRLESS SERVICE either. Its thier CUSTOMER service that sucks balls.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have signed up for the current customer online sale and hope to get an iphone when they're released. I've never had the option to surf while I talk so I don't know what I'm missing. I have a droid and don't really like it that much despite being able to root it. It never really worked as smooth as I would like. The iPad has made me want to switch so I'm excited for the opportunity.

I'll likely try to sell my Droid 1, it was fine and I'm losing a lot of apps I had paid for but I'll get over it in order to join the crowd.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's the big deal about an iphone anyway?

No I am not starting a flame war, I am just serious.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I went from a BB Storm to a Droid then onto a Droid X. I love it. No interest in the iPhone.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

I think (just my opinion) the iPhone really opened up the "smart phone" to the masses. Before the iPhone, the only smart phone I knew that people used was the Blackberry, and mostly that was in the enterprise environment. Then the iPhone came, with and easy to use touch screen. Oh and all the fart "apps" you could want. My wife and I both have iPod touches and we love them. We're with Sprint, and if the iPhone came to Sprint I'd seriously consider getting one. But right now we have too good a deal with Sprint so we'll just get by with our plain old fashioned cell phone.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

Not to try and dumb it down, but simply the OS. I've tried Android and can see why some people would like it, but iOS just provides what I want in a phone.

It's not really something you can say "this is better because", its a preference thing. Android certainly has some stuff I'd like to see in iOS (although now that the WiFi Hotspot is coming to iOS 4.3, one of the big ones missing will be there soon), but I just like how everything is brought together on the iPhone.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Not to try and dumb it down, but simply the OS. I've tried Android and can see why some people would like it, but iOS just provides what I want in a phone.

It's not really something you can say "this is better because", its a preference thing. Android certainly has some stuff I'd like to see in iOS (although now that the WiFi Hotspot is coming to iOS 4.3, one of the big ones missing will be there soon), but I just like how everything is brought together on the iPhone.

There was an article on cnet or pcworld that basically said the Iphone wouldn't even be the best phone on verizon. There are a few DUAL-CORE TEGRA Android based phones that are going to eat the Iphone alive in terms of performance. Plus with Verizon you know they are going to lock that phone down even further, put stupid VZ navigator and other bs apps and generally make it fail. I just don't get what all the big fuss about. It is an ipod that can call. Ipad is a big ipod that can call. It isn't really super innovative. That said, they have made a ton of money and I can respect that.
  • Options
    Plus with Verizon you know they are going to lock that phone down even further
    The carriers can't restrict that much. The main option they get to set is whether you get the ability to tether to your laptop but since iOS 4.3 will allow WiFi tethering and its a stated feature on Verizon, I doubt they'll be restricting that.
    put stupid VZ navigator and other bs apps and generally make it fail.
    Unlikely that Apple would allow anything like that to happen since its their baby and their walled garden for content/apps. If there is any preinstalled apps from Verizon then you're going to be able to remove/add it at will. The carriers would prefer that you used their own app store but they don't exist on iOS as Apple won't allow it. Just sheer demand for the iPhone will mean that the carriers will accept whatever Apple tell them.
  • Options
    To me the big deal about the iPhone is the app store and iTunes. I have movies and some music tied to my iTunes account. It's significantly easier to sync non drm media with iTunes as well IMO. I also love the apps. All my friends play words with friends and i have some board game nerds that play caracassonne. Those don't exist for android.

I know there are more powerful android phones coming and apps are being ported over. I'm sure there are syncing methods too. I don't doubt it is catching up but I bought the movies in iTunes and want to use them.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    There was an article on cnet or pcworld that basically said the Iphone wouldn't even be the best phone on verizon. There are a few DUAL-CORE TEGRA Android based phones that are going to eat the Iphone alive in terms of performance. Plus with Verizon you know they are going to lock that phone down even further, put stupid VZ navigator and other bs apps and generally make it fail. I just don't get what all the big fuss about. It is an ipod that can call. Ipad is a big ipod that can call. It isn't really super innovative. That said, they have made a ton of money and I can respect that.

"There was an article on cnet or pcworld that basically said the Iphone wouldn't even be the best phone on verizon"

Best by what standard? Just because something is faster, it doesn't mean its better.

As mentioned, Apple aren't gonna let Verizon lock it down, this is what happens.

Also, when you say the iPhone is just an iPod that can call. Well yeah, its an iPod touch that can call. Which was released later than the first iPhone. It's not like they had the iPod touch out for 10 years, bolted a GSM modem to it and said we've changed the world. It's closer to the other way round, the iPhone came out first, and they removed the GSM side.

Plus, you say that like its a bad thing anyway, if the OS is great and does the job, then why would making it be able to call be a bad thing? Thats like saying a laptop with Windows on is pointless because its just a desktop PC with Windows on that can move.

At the end of the day though, I've said it already in this thread, and I'll say it again, iOS in my opinion is great, it covers all bases I need, and many others need. Why is there such a fuss about it? Because now more people can get it. Thats it.

I think the thing you're missing isn't so much though about innovation, its about popularising. MP3 players existed before the iPod. What happened when they iPod came out? Market share and practically making the market for MP3 players. What happened with the iPhone? Well how many phones before were touch screen web capable smart phones, or at least, how many were in use? Yes they existed, but now every other person I know has a smart phone. The iPad? Tell me how well the market was doing for tablets before it came out....

Oddly enough, Apples products seem to make the industry as a whole better off, because without the iPhone, would smartphones in general be as popular? Would Android be as big as it is? How would the sales of the Galaxy Tab be doing if the iPad didn't come out and make people notice tablets?

People wanting to compete with Apple's products brings out just as much innovation as Apple have themselves. How is that a bad thing?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    I want the iPhone because its a phone/ipod/whatever you want it to be with all the applications out there, plus I want to do bluetooth audio with the Grooveshark application.

I've seen people use the iPhone as a HUD (heads up display) that looks pretty cool, I'm going to try that out as well when I get my iPhone.

Plus my upgrade is due so its perfect timing, and I checked online and I qualify for iPhone.
  • Options
    Grooveshark application
    From what I've read, the legal situation with Grooveshark is really dubious especially with the uploaded by users aspect of it. Apple revoked the approval for the app and you need to jailbreak to get it on an iPhone/iPod.
  • Options
    Grooveshark is the best though, If it shuts down I'll have to go over to Pandora.

I am going to jailbreak however, and its completely legal. I know it will void warranty however, but you can always reinstall the iOS from factory.
  • Options
    I am going to jailbreak however, and its completely legal. I know it will void warranty however, but you can always reinstall the iOS from factory.
    Just saying that you gotta jailbreak. Some people don't like doing it.
  • Options
    On an unrelated matter, most people do not realize that they are just as vulnerable to malware on their smart phone than their PC's. I remember their was a survey done a while back ago, in which most people said they do not even care about malware on their smart phones, yet alone have any protection.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    On an unrelated matter, most people do not realize that they are just as vulnerable to malware on their smart phone than their PC's. I remember their was a survey done a while back ago, in which most people said they do not even care about malware on their smart phones, yet alone have any protection.

Lies! Ask any Apple product owner and they will tell you viruses, crashes, spam and anything else that is not shiny or fluffy is impossible to get on their devices! icon_razz.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My iPod Touch (even though I'm on number 4 under warranty due to hardware issues) has replaced my Palm Pilot as my portable electronic personal organizer. My Palm Pilot is now my alarm clock and desktop world clock.

I've found a lot more useful apps at the Apple Store than the Android Market. And there are quite a few "killer apps" on my iPod Touch that don't have Android replacements yet.

Since Virgin Mobile has now changed their Unlimited MiFi $40 a month plan to a $40 "unlimited" 5 Gigs with anything over being rate limited, if Verizon can match that with the iPhone I can stop carrying 2 or 3 extra electronic devices (phone, MiFi, iPod Touch). I still might carry the 64Gig iPod Touch and save the iPhone battery for things like phone calls.

Of course if Verizon still has expensive data pricing, I'll drop the $40 a month MiFi (stop the auto pay, but keep it as a backup) for the $50 a month Clear 4G unlimited hotspot (and use the 5Gig 3G limit on that when I have to).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

Have you seen or used iTunes for anything?

IMHO the plethera of podcasts on any topic is a major advantage. They're all free.

Its a great ipod....my droid cant even friggin shuffle a playlist.

Apps are better. If you purchase apps, they're all cheaper in iTunes than on the droid market.

The droid market search engine was made by a 3rd grader. If you dont search for the name of teh app you wont, you likely wont find it. if you do find it, good luck getting it to work.

iTunes is MILES ahead of the droid market...miles. I know everyone keeps saying the apps are coming and improving...yadayadayada. Its been over a year and it isnt even close.

As far as the phone goes, and the major apps...yes, they are competitive. I'm happy with my droid as a phone, and happy with the major apps like USA Today and Angry Birds. IDK how good the iPhones camera is, but the droid camera is pretty good.

If you dont ever want anything in iTunes, then there's no real reason to care which brand of smartphone you get. Once you've seen how much awesome stuff there is there though, you might be swayed to the iphone side.
  • Options
    Not to mention the Exchange support by the iPhone, not sure how good Android is with this?
  • Options
    Not to mention the Exchange support by the iPhone, not sure how good Android is with this?

I think this depends on the phone. I know the EVO and the Droid 1 had different programs to provide exchange support. I don't think activesync is native at all so it all depends on the manufacturer. I've always been annoyed that they couldn't sync tasks without buying an app. I also don't remember being able to accept a meeting invitation but I could be wrong with that one.