Project+ in Four Days

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello all. I took the CompTIA Project+ exam today. I scored a 794/900.

I decided to take the test because of all the chatter about the CompTIA Dec. 31st Deadline for lifetime certification (versus the three-year certification in 2011) and WGU accepting the certification for credits.

The only study materials I used were the Sybex book:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Project-Study-Guide-PK0-003/dp/0470585927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293573328&sr=8-1

At first, I was reading the book electronically on my laptop, but it was frying my reproductive organs, so I opted to buy a hard copy off of Big River. The book comes with a useful CD that includes flash cards, practice tests, slides and an electronic copy of the book.

Before delving into the book material, I must say that I have no experience in project management. As an IT, I have simply taught and been an infrastructure/server administrator.

Now...the book. As many have stated before, the topic is a bit dry. But I think it does an excellent job of covering most of the test objectives.

I read the book in three days. It was definitely not a pleasant experience cramming all of the information in my head. To make matters worse, it just seemed like everything was blending together or confusing.

Yesterday (Day four), all I did was re-read the chapter summaries and explanations at the end of the chapters (as well as a pass-through of the end of chapter tests to look at the explanations not the questions). The only test prep I used were the practice tests included with the Sybex CD (the pre assessment test, chapter tests and two bonus tests).

I took the exam today. Boy, was I nervous. As I went into the test, I went in without knowing/memorizing a single formula (mostly from chapter 9). So already, I was down two in a bush. However, I used the good 'ol process of elimination and guesstimates to plow through the exam.

I did not know there were 100 questions. It blew my mind. I prefer Cisco's 47 to 55 question format.

Well, when I was completed, I was met with the CompTIA survey. My heart was beating heavy as I went through these questions. But when I was done, I was met with the congratulations. So I'm happy that's out of the way.

For others considering taking the exam, I would definitely recommend you study at a slower rate (maybe a chapter a day). By looking at the objectives and reading the chapters and allowing the information to marinate (especially the formulas), it will make you more knowledable/proficient at the material.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello all. I took the CompTIA Project+ exam today. I scored a 794/900.

I decided to take the test because of all the chatter about the CompTIA Dec. 31st Deadline for lifetime certification (versus the three-year certification in 2011) and WGU accepting the certification for credits.

First of all congratulations!

Second...Project+ was going to be a lifetime cert, whether you took it today, tomorrow, 1/1/2011 or anytime after that. Only A+, Network+ and Security+ were part of the Continuing Education deal (after 1/1/2011). Project+, Server+, Linux+ are currently lifetime certs after this year.

Still...well done though. :)
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    First of all congratulations!

Second...Project+ was going to be a lifetime cert, whether you took it today, tomorrow, 1/1/2011 or anytime after that. Only A+, Network+ and Security+ were part of the Continuing Education deal (after 1/1/2011). Project+, Server+, Linux+ are currently lifetime certs after this year.

Still...well done though. :)

Doh. Well, I'll keep telling myself Dec 31st. deadline was what motivated me to cram all of that information in my noggin. Thanks for posting about your experiences, which helped me to know which study guide to buy.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job champ.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good job champ.

I don't know about champ. I'd say chump with the approach I took to studying it. I doubt I'll remember it in a month, especially with studying for CCNP T-Shoot, CISSP and a biology class.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know about champ. I'd say chump with the approach I took to studying it. I doubt I'll remember it in a month, especially with studying for CCNP T-Shoot, CISSP and a biology class.

In all honesty, I can relate since I got the same score.

The only thing I can say about that, to the both of us [especially me...lol], is that we're not chumps for passing. For better or worse, we're Project+ certified. :D
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing. I recently bought that same book and planned to do this next (I just got my Security+ and Network+ last week).

I have since decided to study for MCTS: Configuring Windows 7, since i'm not looking to get into Project management. At some point I will probably bang out this certification but right now I am trying to focus my attention to certs that can help me advance my career in the near future, and not a one person where I work is Windows 7 Certified so I can surely stand out with that.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems