Options

Interview Advice

taskmantaskman Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have managed to get an interview at the local hospital for a first line support position. As this is my first interview since trying to get into the IT field any useful tips would be appreciated.

For example what kind of questions would I be asked for this position.
Possible questions that I could ask as I would like to have a few in my mind before I go in.
Also what are the general problems that you would come across in this position.

Thanks in advance for any help that you could give.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    taskman wrote:
    I have managed to get an interview at the local hospital for a first line support position. As this is my first interview since trying to get into the IT field any useful tips would be appreciated.

For example what kind of questions would I be asked for this position.
    Possible questions that I could ask as I would like to have a few in my mind before I go in.
    Also what are the general problems that you would come across in this position.

Thanks in advance for any help that you could give.

relax and don't clam up icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have a job description for this posting. Most of the interview questions are usually based on what they are looking for. Questions that you can ask vary depending on what you want from this job or what you are looking to gain in attaining the position.
  • Options
    The description is posted below, as you can see not much to go on. I haven't had any experience in a similar role, so I am pleased that I have been invited for an interview. My main goal is to use this to get that all important experience that the higher positions ask for, then get into the admin site of networking, then planning and designing networks.

Position: Helpdesk/1st Line Support X 4
    Skills: My client based in Worcester are currently looking for 4
    experienced helpdesk/1st line support people based on site in the IT
    team. You will be taking technical calls from a user base of over 4000 so excellent telephone skills are essential. You will be able to
    take calls from all level of user, log them and then be able to give
    some 1st Line technical support, ie setting up users accounts and
    basic 1st line support. Ideal opportunity for someone with 6 months +
    experience within similar role and an IT qualification would be
    highly advantageous. Apply now with a current up-to date CV.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Not to make you nervous, but I would assume that even in a lower level tech support job, a hospital would be a pretty stressful place for someone in IT to work. Not necessarily bad, just stressful. icon_wink.gif

Based on this, I would expect them to ask you some scenario type questions. "What would you do if ______ happened?" That type of stuff. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Like keenon said, try not to get too nervous, the worst they can do is not hire you. :)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Act motivated & willing to learn. Make them feel you WANT this job. Since this is a job that doesn't require alot of experience its all about motivation, determination and your ability to mold into the position. Good Luck. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I remember somebody saying you have to make them feel they NEED you badly. ;)

I've been a bit sceptical about this up-front sales-style way of expressing yourself, but I tried it out once...and it worked. Big time.

And one more thing-- since I've now spent a very long time in a non-IT field-- I know more than anything that your ability to sell yourself will ultimately decide your fate. If you have very poor selling skills, try to improve them.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately they have decided to put the recruitment on hold for the time being, so that is another one out of the window
  • Options
    TravlerTravler Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:
    Not to make you nervous, but I would assume that even in a lower level tech support job, a hospital would be a pretty stressful place for someone in IT to work. Not necessarily bad, just stressful.quote]

I work in a hospital with appx 2500 employees. I work 2nd shift and am the only IT staff member on site from 4:30pm - 10:30pm. (I owned my own business for years, so its nice to still "be my own boss" on 2nd shift.) No degree or certification was required, although having my A+ was quite a selling point.
  • Options
    I am hoping that they will resume the recruitment once the new financial year starts as I was told it was down to their budget why they were not going ahead, so fingers crossed. Also if they do recruit again I should have my mcsa by then which won't hurt my chances
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The best advice I can give is be 100% honest about your skills and experience.