Options

Failed 70-680 today

I got 633. I thought I did a lot better than I accutally did. Going to try again end of January. Oh well at least I get 3 free tries with WGU.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Close!! You'll get it next time. Any details about the exam?
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got 633. .

What was the pass rate score?
  • Options
    700 is a passing score.....so 4-6 questions from passing

WGU -

• Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep it up, you'll do better on the 2nd shoot. Just icon_study.gif harder.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Did it cover any specific objectives more than others??

WGU -

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Good luck next time and don't feel bad. It's a tough test.
  • Options
    jrdeleon1jrdeleon1 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-680 is not an easy exam. Thankfully, the score report details areas that need work. You'll get it next time.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I got two areas 100%, lowest area was mobile computing. I skipped like 8 questions that I went over a few times. The questions seemed easy but I guess I didn't get some right. Going on vacation next week so not going to be doing much study till I get back. I was hoping to retry Saturday but I can't get my voucher that quick.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    franco67franco67 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what study material are you using ?
  • Options
    any question on the test you remember ?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    franco67 wrote: »
    any question on the test you remember ?

He can't answer that...that would be violating the NDA.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass, it's a tough exam. Looks like you are only a few questions away. Have you checked into Darril Gibson's book for the 685/686? I wished I had read that when studying for the 680, it cleared up some topics for me.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Good luck for next time, at least now you know what areas to concentrate on :)

-Ken
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    My biggest gripe with the test, and Microsoft in general, is their scoring method. So passing is 700 out of 1000 or 70%. BUT if you look at passing scores it's around 85% when you go by the %'s you get at the end. So 85% is 70% which is only passing... I understand some questions have more points than others but it gets confusing. I'll pass it next time, just need to study more.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    My biggest gripe with the test, and Microsoft in general, is their scoring method. So passing is 700 out of 1000 or 70%. BUT if you look at passing scores it's around 85% when you go by the %'s you get at the end. So 85% is 70% which is only passing... I understand some questions have more points than others but it gets confusing. I'll pass it next time, just need to study more.

Not quite. As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't disclosed a maximum amount of points for this exam (or any?). But I haven't seen anyone post over 900 points on this board, although I could be wrong.

The thing you have to remember is that the scoring is based on a percentage for each domain. For example, Configuring Hardware and Configuring Networks are each worth 14% of the grade. Let's say you received 10 questions for Hardware and 4 questions for Networks. If you miss two questions on Hardware, then it's not so bad and you'll probably score near the "Strong" level on the report. But if you miss two questions on Networks, then you'll be near the middle and only have 50% of the points for the 14% domain. That's my theory. Apologies if that doesn't make any sense.

70-680 Skills Measured
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    hi, sorry about your test adventures. are you planing to retake the test.

do you know how to retake the test ?
    i register tru promotric ?
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240

Hey, I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass the test. I am studying for this exam at the moment and plan to take it on the 11th if i can get a voucher short notice. I saw somebody asked but I am also curious. Which study material did you use. I mainly ask because I just bought the new MCTS: 70-680 book by Don Poulton Amazon.com: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring (9780789747075): Don Poulton: Books and will add it to my studies. Have you heard of or used this book?
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey, I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass the test. I am studying for this exam at the moment and plan to take it on the 11th if i can get a voucher short notice. I saw somebody asked but I am also curious. Which study material did you use. I mainly ask because I just bought the new MCTS: 70-680 book by Don Poulton Amazon.com: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring (9780789747075): Don Poulton: Books and will add it to my studies. Have you heard of or used this book?

I just bought that book for the Kindle, will be using it along side the Official 70-680 book from MS. I read through the first chapter, just an intro to Win 7, but it was a very easy read.
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not looking forward to this test... I as well have to indulge my senses into this 70-680 madness for my degree at WGU.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I just bought that book for the Kindle, will be using it along side the Official 70-680 book from MS. I read through the first chapter, just an intro to Win 7, but it was a very easy read.

I really liked the intro. I usually don't read that chapter but something made me for this book. Probably because, as you said, it was an easy read. When do you think you will sit for the test?
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    IRONMONKUS wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to this test... I as well have to indulge my senses into this 70-680 madness for my degree at WGU.

you say it as if it is a cert on the levels such as IT Foundations I. which many deem useless
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    tallmantallmantallmantallman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the test yesterday and failed as well. I was using Transcender as my only study material and thought I had a good grasp on the material but didn't come close to passing, a 516.

I'll have to get a book and do some lab work in order to pass. I have a free re-take in which I'll be using at the end of January or early February.
  • Options
    I really liked the intro. I usually don't read that chapter but something made me for this book. Probably because, as you said, it was an easy read. When do you think you will sit for the test?

Comrade, since you also read DG's Security+ book, how does this book compare to that one?

I'd imagine that you can't really answer that fully until you sit for the 680, but in terms of enough depth on-top of easiness-to-read to go through it and pass the 680 on the first try...that's really what I'm looking for. :)
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Earliest I am looking is end of Feb, but guessing more towards mid March. Have one local person I start studying with this weekend, and have N2IT for online study partner as well.
  • Options
    you say it as if it is a cert on the levels such as IT Foundations I. which many deem useless

What the 680 has in common with IT Foundations as it's required for every emphasis in IT (Operating Systems). IT Foundations I isn't anymore though, but it used to be required for every emphasis. Databases and NDM still require it...not 100% sure of the others.
  • Options
    lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got 633. I thought I did a lot better than I accutally did. Going to try again end of January. Oh well at least I get 3 free tries with WGU.

3 free tries with WGu? HUH?
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • Options
    @erpadmin

I hope it is the golden ticket like DGs book but that remains to be seen. As far as the easy read? Installing window7 is by far the most boring topic for me and I actually read that entire chapter without realizing it lol

@bokeh
    How will the online study work? I wish I thought of that. I think I am the only one of my local IT circle that bothers with certifications.

• Options
    @erpadmin

I hope it is the golden ticket like DGs book but that remains to be seen. As far as the easy read? Installing window7 is by far the most boring topic for me and I actually read that entire chapter without realizing it lol.

I will be watching this with great interest...one red flag I noticed about this book is that it's published by Que, the publishers of Exam Crap. Another thing I noticed is that the guy (Don Poulton) looks like he's been around since the invention of the loom...lol.

Having said that, I am in no hurry to take the 680...I have been slowly creeping up to my 642 studies and I scored high on the uCertify diagnostic test for that recently. I'm brushing up on whatever I feel weak on and if I pass that exam, I'll move on to the 640 (which this author also has covered in this same series: Amazon.com: MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (9780789747082): Don Poulton: Books

If the 680 is good with this book though, I'll buy it and do it after 640, but I gotta see how you do first. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I will be watching this with great interest...one red flag I noticed about this book is that it's published by Que, the publishers of Exam Crap. Another thing I noticed is that the guy (Don Poulton) looks like he's been around since the invention of the loom...lol.

Having said that, I am in no hurry to take the 680...I have been slowly creeping up to my 642 studies and I scored high on the uCertify diagnostic test for that recently. I'm brushing up on whatever I feel weak on and if I pass that exam, I'll move on to the 640 (which this author also has covered in this same series: Amazon.com: MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (9780789747082): Don Poulton: Books

If the 680 is good with this book though, I'll buy it and do it after 640, but I gotta see how you do first. icon_wink.gif

I always seem to be the guinea pig in my circle icon_lol.gif. It seems every time i set a goal, there is a whole bunch of things that come up. I wasn't able to get any studying in today... Bullocks.

• Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    lenell86 wrote: »
    3 free tries with WGu? HUH?

Its actually 2 free tries, all 3rd and subsequent attempts must be paid out of pocket by the student, though you still get the discounted price. And really they aren't free since thats what the tuition is for.