Options

Need an Answer! (Near the Lifetime certification deadline)

dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone:

I hope there's people out there in the same boat as I am? Today December 30th 2010, ONLY ONE DAY Left for the Life Time Certification for the A+, Network+ or the Security+ certification, even do I started late December 10th or 12th ? 2010 Purchased the Preplogic video and material, including several books (Mike Meyers Passport Security+, Exam Cram, Darril Gibson Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-201) I also purchase several testing software, I got 100% on the Learn Key Master exam, but 66% on the measureup testing so I have no idea if I am really ready for this Security+ 2008 SY0-201 Exam I wanted to have the Lifetime certification Security+ 2008, but looks like its not going to happen. I am open to any ideas, suggestions, tips regarding how to prepare for this exam, Cryptography is the one I find the difficult one to master.

Dan L.

Comments

• Options
    edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take the test at the end of Darril Gibsons book and see how you do. If you score higher than an 85% I'd say that you're likely prepared for the test. That's the only resource I used and I was able to pass. It sounds like you've studied a lot for the exam, don't over think it and stress yourself out - go take that test tomorrow and pass it!
  • Options
    BrandonXBrandonX Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dan101 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone:

I hope there's people out there in the same boat as I am? Today December 30th 2010, ONLY ONE DAY Left for the Life Time Certification for the A+, Network+ or the Security+ certification, even do I started late December 10th or 12th ? 2010 Purchased the Preplogic video and material, including several books (Mike Meyers Passport Security+, Exam Cram, Darril Gibson Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-201) I also purchase several testing software, I got 100% on the Learn Key Master exam, but 66% on the measureup testing so I have no idea if I am really ready for this Security+ 2008 SY0-201 Exam I wanted to have the Lifetime certification Security+ 2008, but looks like its not going to happen. I am open to any ideas, suggestions, tips regarding how to prepare for this exam, Cryptography is the one I find the difficult one to master.

Dan L.

Hey Dan,

I just pass the Security+ today. You know what, there were like 2 question regrading Cryptography. I wouldn't worry to much about that chapter. Just know which one is better than which: WEP, WAP, WAP2.

Good luck

Brandon X
    Currently working on:
    1) Master in CyberSecurity at NU.edu
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    70-680: (End of March 2011)
    70-640: ????
    70-642: ????
    70-643: ????
    70-647: ????
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Bachelor of Business Administration
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dan101 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone:

Dan L.

Not to sound rude, but if you are willing to drop that much on study tools, I'm sure buying a voucher won't be to much of a problem and I say go for it regardless of how ready you feel. You might pass anyways, and hey, you are lifetime if you do.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    I say go for it regardless of how ready you feel.

I don't think is very sound advice. You should attempt the exam with the feeling of confidence and assurance that you have done the very best you can in preparation for the exam. Not just take a slash at it and hope for the best... That would seem a bit slap happy to me, and I know in my place of business this view on progression would not be well looked upon. Yes you may pass, but the goal is also to understand the content fully, not just to have a certificate on the wall.

By no means to I intend to be harsh, sorry if it appears the case, but this is just my standpoint.

To the OP, if you have studied hard, and feel confident with the material then go for it and good luck! But if you feel you need more time on any areas then give it a bit more work, sure you may miss out on lifetime certified, but at the end of the day you will be certified. If you have to re sit the exam in three years then at least you are being testing on more up to date technologies and methodologies - unless you have furthered your security carreer with something more advance, then it's a bit moot.

Once again, good luck! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone:

Thank you for all of your input and comments regarding this issue, I'm just hoping this was the right decision to do here, this has been the toughest decision that I have to do. I said to myself that Thursday was going to be the deciding factor, now its Friday December 31 2010 the last day for the year 2010. I was going to go for it at the very last minute Friday Morning at 1am and book my Pearson VUE test, but changed my mind, to this day I will NEVER know if I would of passed it or not? I did took both tests at the end of Darril Gibsons Book, the first try I got 44%, the last practical test which had about 100 questions, and according to what Edicwhun said if I got 85% or higher than I should take the test, I only got 74% I done it without looking at the answer until I was finished in order to be true with myself and see how ready I was and how much I really know this stuff. It seems to me that I need to read or study on areas that I am weak on and to be clear of what they are asking in the questions.

( This comment, didn't wanted to mentioned names here)" Yes you may pass, but the goal is also to understand the content fully, not just to have a certificate on the wall." This what really struck me, having a certification on the walls means that you have the knowledge and a skill set of performing this job, that's how I see this.

To be honest and true to myself, I was mostly cramming rather than studying or learning this material, even do I was trying to beat the CompTIA Lifetime certification (Security+), Security+ wasn't really what I wanted to specialized anyways, but the fact of being Lifetime certified feels good not to worry about studying the material again, but again the IT is an evolving and dynamic industry that is changing all the time, Like my old instructor (he's Cisco Certified, CCNA,CCNP, CCNA Security+) he has to renew his cert every 3 years. Like you said in the end, I will be certified either way (Lifetime or not)

I agree with Cisco Nerd comments regarding my post.

''If you have to re sit the exam in three years then at least you are being testing on more up to date technologies and methodologies''. This is true regarding any cert exams, technology will always change no matter what we do, you can't stop the progression of technology. But to this point I will never know If I would of pass or not, I know that If I would of failed the exam, at least I wouldn't lose $258.00 per try this is expensive for me right now, and since I am working (not IT related) and didn't wanted to loose any more time or money at this point, this is the decision I think is best for me right now, plus I hated the fact that I had to travel for 3-4 hours out of town just to write a 2 hours test, and the thought of failing it, would of been a real bummer.

I would like to thank everyone who made the comments, and appreciate the fast response on this matter, I have posted this same question on another site ( Tech Forums :: View topic - Need an Answer! (Near the Lifetime certification deadline) Need an Answer! (Near the Lifetime certification deadline) and no response of as yet.

Since this is New's years eve, Happy New year's to everyone and best of luck on your Security+ or whatever lifetime cert your aiming for. I am also sure that most testing centre will probably be closing early because of the holidays, If I was going to write it I would of probably leave my place early since (ENetronic Consulting) last call or last appointment was at 11:00am, Now I don't even have to worry about it now.

Wow this is a long post. LOL

Again, Best of luck

Dan.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I agree with many points here. My instructor once said, even though if Windows NT4 exam guarantees you a life-time certification, what the use of it when it is outdated when technology advances. So, let's enjoy the flow of new and comtemporary IT knowledge through constant certification. :)
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    ( This comment, didn't wanted to mentioned names here)" Yes you may pass, but the goal is also to understand the content fully, not just to have a certificate on the wall." This what really struck me, having a certification on the walls means that you have the knowledge and a skill set of performing this job, that's how I see this.

The point I was leading to with that comment is that it's one thing to cram so that you can say 'yep I'm certified for life, or I have that ticket' but its another to really understand the content. Some people I know are more interested in how many awards they have, rather than the quality to which they can perform the related tasks.

I just think if you are going to do something, do it right. Just my 2c.