MCDST in one week?

2»

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Unless you want to upgrade to MCITP:EST & MCTS:Vista config by only taking one exam 70-621 (which does expire 3-31).

Ah, that must be where I got the 3/31 date in my head. Technically, you could take the 70-621 first and then do the MCDST later and kind of do a reverse upgrade thing.

Or just skip Vista altogether since maybe 1% of companies out there are actually using it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    why not forget that and do the 7 upgrade later? it gives you mcts for the client exam (680) as well. which is a requirement for :sa or :ea7.

I believe you are referring to the 70-682 upgrade exam?

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-682&locale=en-us
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I believe you are referring to the 70-682 upgrade exam?

EDIT: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Yes, but what he was saying is that with the upgrade (exam 682) you get the MCTS (680 exam) credential as well as the MCITP.
    why not forget that and do the 7 upgrade later? it gives you mcts for the client exam (680) as well. which is a requirement for :sa or :ea7.
    Not required for SA, BTW.

640, 642, 646
    MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only reason that I'm even looking at the 621 is b/c it's retiring. Call me a cert hoarder but it's the only way that I'm getting motivated to study.......

Can you really take the 621 before you've finished the MCDST? I wasn't able to find any prerequisites listed.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    hey OP, are you taking both exams on the same day?
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I was planning on it, but financially I am going to have to space them out i think... this week's check will be the decision
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    steve13ad wrote: »
    The only reason that I'm even looking at the 621 is b/c it's retiring. Call me a cert hoarder but it's the only way that I'm getting motivated to study.......

Can you really take the 621 before you've finished the MCDST? I wasn't able to find any prerequisites listed.

That is because there are none. You can take exams in any order but do not receive the certification until all exams in th track have been completed. They are cumulative. The only issue would be that you would not get the MCITP designation if the MCDTS retired before you could pass it. The 621 exam would still show on your transcript, but you would not be able to get the cert ever.
    well... it's obviously been waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than one week, but this week it is finally upon me...

271 scheduled for Saturday morning, May 7th... I may schedule 272 for this Friday May 6th if I can get off work early...

I'm ready to be a MCP!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Don't feel bad a couple of the rest of us have gotten off track, too. At least you've got your dates set.

I haven't "cracked a book" since Mid-March............
    This will be my first cert exam since December's Security+
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    60 days and counting until 0 hour....
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    oh man 60 days. ill give myself the last week of June as padding in case i fail the 272 and need a retest, god forbid.
    Ive been cramming the hell out of 272. The overlap is nice and networking questions are way too easy after passing net+. my only problems so far is having to go back in time to office 2003.

mike-mike, good luck. much of it is common sense if you have been supporting xp. I've only been in IT for just over a month and feel like I have been exposed to almost all of it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    booked 272 for Friday at 2pm... going to work for 4 hours, leaving to go test, and then back to work for 4 hours... then sleep, then up early to drive an hour and a half to take the 271 the next day..

I cannot fail, this is too lame scheduling around work... they will let me off, but I have only been there since Jan, so it's unpaid if I'm off... and I am broke
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    well, 1 part down.. passed the 72-272... much harder than I thought it would be, but I still pulled a 823, with 700 being the passing mark..

taking 271 at 8:30am...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    That's a great score, congrats! Good luck tomorrow AM.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    well, 1 part down.. passed the 72-272... much harder than I thought it would be, but I still pulled a 823, with 700 being the passing mark..

taking 271 at 8:30am...

Awesome job Mike!
    and part two is down as well... 833 this time... I found the 271 much easier than the 272, but neither would be dubbed as "easy" by any means... huge difference in a CompTIA test and a Microsoft.. feels good to be a MCP and a MCDST...

I read the entire Sybex cover to cover twice, and I had the PrepLogic mega guides for both tests, and I have to say, I the preplogic's were really good...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats!!!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awsome job!icon_cheers.gif

Where to now?
    next is back to my WGU stuff, so CIW... and after I take Windows 7 for my degree plan, I will definitely take the 682 or 685
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass and getting MCDST cert!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good job mike awesome job!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree